Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rotors already cracking around cross drilled holes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Rotors already cracking around cross drilled holes

2700 miles and about 10 hard track days..... Car is 6 months old. Steel brakes - Front rotors, center row of holes - all the way around. Cracks are about 3-5mm.

Normal with my amount of usage?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by avi8tir
2700 miles and about 10 hard track days..... Car is 6 months old. Steel brakes - Front rotors, center row of holes - all the way around. Cracks are about 3-5mm.

Normal with my amount of usage?
Hi David!

You were showing no mercy at Spring Mountain a couple weeks ago. Not surprised the rotors are looking tired

All I know about steel rotors is if three holes are connected by cracks best to invest in a new set. Some of the steel guys on the forum can point you to what to buy.

Great to meet and talk to you at the track. Hope we meet up again!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 AM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
I have the same issue. Car is 3 months old and 3,000 miles with 7 hard track sessions. Steel brakes. Front rotors have some small heat cracks at the edges of the cross drilling. Dealer says they are ok for now but is watching. I believe Porsche is ok with the cracks if less than 5mm.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 AM
swbatte is infamous around these parts
They are normal with heat cycling at the track. Like the earlier post said if the holes get connected then replace & keep and eye on them.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I've had this same problem with my factory cross-drilled rotors... I thought it was just me, and that I wasn't cooling off the brakes enough. They were fine, until the wife and I tag-teamed the car off and on for 3 hrs. I was wondering - is there a way to prevent cracking with proper cooling techniques? Or is this an inevitability (I believed it was, which is why I went with slotted rotors).

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Even with slotted rotors brake cooling is crucial.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Cracked rotors are not a "problem." It is normal for ALL rotors: cross drilled, slotted, solid, dimpled, whatever - they all crack and it cannot be avoided. Just keep an eye on them and replace when the cracks connect the holes or get make it to the edge.

[edit]
2700 miles and about 10 hard track days
You should count yourself lucky to get 10 days out of a set of rotors. Here are some pics of my last OEM set after just 10 sessions.

Major spider crackes after 10 sessions.

Almost no rotor wear at all [no lip].

-td

Last edited by himself; 05-24-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
rasi54 is infamous around these parts
This wouldn't bother me at all. When the cracks get to the O.D. then I'm conerned and get them off. One thing that helps is proper cool down on final lap - no brakes and 1/2 mile of cool down off the track after the session. After parking the car - no E.B. move the car after 10 minutes so hot pads don't sit on rotors.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Thats why I went with Girodisc slotted.

Name:  drside.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  256.0 KB

Last edited by riverflyer; 05-25-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
it's not normal. you're driving like a pansy if you can go 10 track days before cracks appear. :P

i only get 1 day on drilled rotors. blank/flat is the best.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
I went through two sets of factory front rotors before I bought a set of Deman slotted front rotors. They seem to be holding up really well. No affiliation, just good rotors, a fair price, and great customer service.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
The cracks are very common on the OE rotors especially after a few hard track days. Most of our GT3 customers replace their stock rotors with the GircoDisc slotted Rotors. They will provide a little more bit and will certainly stand up to the beating much better. Feel free to contact us with any further questions or you can feel free to contact RSS directly since there in your backyard.

Last edited by Sales@Champion; 05-25-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
It's normal on the stock rotors. I concur w/ the suggestion of Girodisc... they hold up to much more abuse. Get the slotted ones for track use, and make sure you select a proper brake pad to match. I like the Pagid RS19s Yellows.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
+1 for Girodiscs.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
ya, I get about 3 good days on rotors on average. And Im not just a sunday tracker ... If you can only go 10 sessions on rotors, you need to stay off those things more!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotors already cracking around cross drilled holes