Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Tired of watching Nascar on SpeedTV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 AM
rh888888 is infamous around these partsrh888888 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Interesting perception... One could say the same thing about the NFL, based on your perception (I've been to quite a few games, and the seats were empty a LOT last year). Same for the MLB and NBA as well. Even on TV you could see the stadiums were not packed.

(I'm sure I could say the same thing about the NHL of I could actually find a game on TV)

But then again, I also attended the Le Mans race at VIR last month, and I'm also a die-hard fan of F-1 which had VERY poor attendance at the Turkish Grand Prix recently. So I guess all motorsports are losing their fan base, yes?
I think the Team Sports alot depends on if the team is winning and the market they are in. TV ratings on the NFL are up Nascar are down 25% since 2008 and attendance by 16-20% and Daytona was the lowest rated since 1991. In comparison this yeas Super Bowl was one of the highest rated sporting events of all time.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
The Turkish Grand Prix has never been well attended since its inception. European (and Canadian) F1 races, as well the 24 hours of Le Mans, are still attracting huge crowds.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I wasn't commenting on the ACTUAL attendance... Just the data used to form the conclusion posted earlier.

I'm a fan of all motorosports. I could care less about how many people watch on TV, or how many people attend (although I realize that the more people watch/attend, the more money the sport brings in, it also usually attracts more money/more competition).

As far as team sports, I'm an avid Yankee fan, and seats were pretty easy to get last year (I think they did rather well). My point was - basing your perception off of how many people wear NASCAR shirts isn't really a gauge I'd use.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
rafafan 7 is infamous around these parts
very very tired of nascar haha the all star race is ok though.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
rh888888 is infamous around these partsrh888888 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
My point was - basing your perception off of how many people wear NASCAR shirts isn't really a gauge I'd use.
You miss understood what I was saying I've lived by the track for 30+ years and the area would be crazy with race fans. Not anymore you don't even know the race is in town anymore. It just doesn't draw like it used to

Old 07-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Like jaspergt, I am a fan of all motorsports with my favorite being ALMS (see screenname). I have been to some NASCAR races (Richmond, Charlotte and Dover) but have personally not been to any in the last two years. Have buddies that have gone the past two years and they say without question attendence is down 10-20% at the track.

SpeedTV does suck.....when they do show the ALMS races, it seem that 75% or more of the coverage is on the prototypes. I would surmise that we want to see the GT cars. I know thats what I tune in for.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Like jaspergt, I am a fan of all motorsports with my favorite being ALMS (see screenname). I have been to some NASCAR races (Richmond, Charlotte and Dover) but have personally not been to any in the last two years. Have buddies that have gone the past two years and they say without question attendence is down 10-20% at the track.

SpeedTV does suck.....when they do show the ALMS races, it seem that 75% or more of the coverage is on the prototypes. I would surmise that we want to see the GT cars. I know thats what I tune in for.
+1 about the Prototypes... I wonder why this is. It seems that there IS a lot more money spent on prototype teams, and it makes sense to give them more exposure. But I enjoy watcing the Ferraris go around the track a WHOLE lot more.

Perhaps it's the GT classes' fault. Perhaps if there was better racing for the podium positions, they would focus there. I have noticed that from segment to segment - they switch sometimes. One segment would be LMP, the next segment might be GT, etc... I've seen a few where for every two segments of LMP there is a GT segment. Either way - I almost wish the two didn't share a track anymore.

I couldn't imaging in NASCAR watching the Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck (Camping World) Series vehicles on the track at the same time...

Or watching Formula 1 on track with GP2...

You get the picture.