Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Are the 7.1 GT3 ceramics okay for the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Are the 7.1 GT3 ceramics okay for the track?

I am looking at a couple GT3's. One with and one without ceramics. I do DE's semi regularly.

Are the ceramics on the 7.1 gt3 up to track duty or am i looking at a really expensive rotor change in short order if I run them on the track?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
^ I didn't know if you were asking this question because of my repsonse to your other (SC) post.

Anyway, from what I know, TC on, very possibly, TC off unlikely, all else relative of course. Others can give you more insight on this topic than I can.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 AM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Yes.

Link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...highlight=pccb

PCCBs will always outlast steels, when prepped (P50 green pads) and maintained (SFR castrol brake fluid, bleeding, cooldown laps, bedding, etc) properly, by a huge margin, making PCCBs much more cost effective.....

Last edited by GT1; 06-06-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:59 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
That's a really good thread. Thanks for posting.

It would seem that if you have Gen 2 ceramics and stay with the recommended pads, they are a solid setup.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-holes.html

People with steel brakes, are replacing rotors every 3-5 track events....

Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT1
Link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...highlight=pccb

PCCBs will always outlast steels, when prepped (P50 green pads) and maintained (SFR castrol brake fluid, bleeding, cooldown laps, bedding, etc) properly, by a huge margin, making PCCBs much more cost effective.....
Nailed it. My RS is my track queen and I use PCCBs. However, after every 3 days, I replace pads and fluid. In addition to GT1's list, add braided lines. With all listed, they will NOT fade. I have had my brakes smoking after sessions. Just do cool down laps and all will be fine. Just to reiterate GT1 here, so long as you have the $$ to properly maintain them ($200 or so per maintenance), the benefits are worth the extra minor recurring cost. Most tuners recommend replacing with steel. But that's because A.) they want to sell you something and B.) they know you will need them (steel rotors) replaced quickly.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM
GT1
Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Nailed it. My RS is my track queen and I use PCCBs. However, after every 3 days, I replace pads and fluid. In addition to GT1's list, add braided lines. With all listed, they will NOT fade. I have had my brakes smoking after sessions. Just do cool down laps and all will be fine. Just to reiterate GT1 here, so long as you have the $$ to properly maintain them ($200 or so per maintenance), the benefits are worth the extra minor recurring cost. Most tuners recommend replacing with steel. But that's because A.) they want to sell you something and B.) they know you will need them (steel rotors) replaced quickly.

Correct. And the maintenance cost of the PCCBs are the same as steels, eg. SFR fluid, P50 green pads cost about the same as the yellows for steels ($10-$20)+/- difference. People with PCCBs just wont need to spend $2k-3K+ replacing steel rotors every 3-5 track events (mostly due to cracks in the steel rotors).

Laguna, what brake lines specifically are you using? When I got my .2 GT3, I wanted to put SS lines, but was told from different reliable sources, that the stock ones were very very good...

Any I idea if the stock ones from the .1 are different from the .2, GT3's?

Last edited by GT1; 06-06-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT1
Correct. And the maintenance cost of the PCCBs are the same as steels, eg. SFR fluid, P50 green pads cost about the same as the yellows for steels ($10-$20)+/- difference. People with PCCBs just wont need to spend $2k-3K+ replacing steel rotors every 3-5 track events (mostly due to cracks in the steel rotors).

Laguna, what brake lines specifically are you using? When I got my .2 GT3, I wanted to put SS lines, but was told from different reliable sources, that the stock ones were very very good...

Any I idea if the stock ones from the .1 are different from the .2, GT3's?
I checked my old invoices from BBI. They listed as "BBI Brake Lines". I should find out what they are.. haha. I only did a couple track days with stock lines. And these were all at Big Willow (not too hard on brakes). So I personally do not know how much better mine are vs. stock. I do know, I have never had any Fade. Nor has my brake pedal increased in slop during really hard sessions. I do know it was NOT a very expensing upgrade. Many times, smoked my brakes and still no fade whatsoever. I would think the stock lines simply would soften given that much heat. Especially with the higher boiling temp of racing fluid. Anyone track with stock line that can offer feedback here?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT1
People with PCCBs just wont need to spend $2k-3K+ replacing steel rotors every 3-5 track events (mostly due to cracks in the steel rotors).
This affirmation is far from real!! On a 997 mk1 GT3, Front iron rotors last between 12 - 15 track days, rears almost double that!! the cost for a set of front Cup Car iron rotors is around $1600.00, rears is about half that. So if we consider one track event two actual track days, then each 6 to 8 track events you will spend $1.6k on front rotors and after 12-16 events $800.00 on rears. Also there are other great quality aftermaket choices for lower cost replacement rotors too!!, Maybe another reason to use iron rotors .
(On a side note: I envy the guys tracking 996 GT3's since rotors replacement cost for them is almost half).

I can not speak about the ceramic rotors on track, I'm sure with the right pads and race fluid they most be really good, but if you notice must people who track their car on a regular basis 12+ days a year (I do at least 24 days a year now) use iron rotors...Many guys switched from ceramic to iron, cost of replacing ceramic rotors is co$$$tly!!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Yes, steel rotors last a lot more than 3-5 track days.
On the other side of the coin, I have a buddy with an 03 GT2 that just had to spend $14k on new rotors. $14k buys a lot of Cup rotors IMO. You will not see a significant difference in lap times with either set.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Yes, steel rotors last a lot more than 3-5 track days.
On the other side of the coin, I have a buddy with an 03 GT2 that just had to spend $14k on new rotors. $14k buys a lot of Cup rotors IMO. You will not see a significant difference in lap times with either set.
Gen 1 PCCB's weren't all that durable though, right?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Correct. The 02 and 03 GT2's had Gen 1's.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
GT1
Originally Posted by Gus F
This affirmation is far from real!! On a 997 mk1 GT3, Front iron rotors last between 12 - 15 track days, rears almost double that!! the cost for a set of front Cup Car iron rotors is around $1600.00, rears is about half that. So if we consider one track event two actual track days, then each 6 to 8 track events you will spend $1.6k on front rotors and after 12-16 events $800.00 on rears. Also there are other great quality aftermaket choices for lower cost replacement rotors too!!, Maybe another reason to use iron rotors .
(On a side note: I envy the guys tracking 996 GT3's since rotors replacement cost for them is almost half).

I can not speak about the ceramic rotors on track, I'm sure with the right pads and race fluid they most be really good, but if you notice must people who track their car on a regular basis 12+ days a year (I do at least 24 days a year now) use iron rotors...Many guys switched from ceramic to iron, cost of replacing ceramic rotors is co$$$tly!!
By 3-5 track events, I was referring to 2 day events, 6-10 track days. The statement I made of replacing rotor, is based on what I seen plenty of people go through with steel (drilled) rotors. The MK3 GT3 steel drilled rotors are getting replaced, due to crack (regardless of cooldowns done), anywhere from 2k miles to 6k miles, link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-holes.html Slotted rotors usually last twice as long, maybe a bit more, but at more expensive than drilled. After installation, many good steel/iron set , installed will cost about $2k-$3K.

As far as real racing PCCB applications, the casual PCCB tracker application, and PCCB longevity of both, refer to this thread: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-question.html

Last edited by GT1; 06-07-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT1
By 3-5 track events, I was referring to 2 day events, 6-10 track days. The statement I made of replacing rotor, is based on what I seen plenty of people go through with steel (drilled) rotors. The MK3 GT3 steel drilled rotors are getting replaced, due to crack (regardless of cooldowns done), anywhere from 2k miles to 6k miles, link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-holes.html Slotted rotors usually last twice as long, maybe a bit more, but at more expensive than drilled. After installation, many good steel/iron set , installed will cost about $2k-$3K.

As far as real racing PCCB applications, the casual PCCB tracker application, and PCCB longevity of both, refer to this thread: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-question.html
GT1, I'm telling my experience and that of a lot of other guys in my area, I believe that your costs estimates are far off, so for people who may also be reading this can have a closer idea of the cost related to iron rotors replacement, I made the following calculation:
Based on $1600.00 for a front set of Cup Car rotors lasting 15 days ($106.66 a day) , and $800.00 for rears, lasting 20 days($40.00 a day), total for a track day $146.66. Then for 6 to 10 track days (3 -5 events) the cost related to rotors will be approximate between $880.00 to $1466.00. But lets consider than the actual replacement will be less often than that, also remember that there are direct replacement for GT3 iron rotors at a much lower cost available here in this forum.

I also tried the slotted Brembo floating rotors (direct replacement for 997 GT3), great rotors, they didn't last twice as much, they just lasted a couple more days than Cup Car rotors. Again this is my experience using pagid's R29 and on track i tend to be hard on the brakes.

Last edited by Gus F; 06-08-2010 at 06:35 AM.