Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Alcantara care and feeding...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Alcantara care and feeding...

I going through the options lists for this car, I am debating whether or not to switch out (at extra cost) the Alcantara seat inserts on my 2011 GT3 for leather. I'm not a real fan of the alcantara look and I'm concerned that when I treat the leather bolsters that it might be near impossible to ensure that none of the leather cleaner/rejuvinator (I use LEATHERIQUE) touches the alcantara inserts...and if so...what then. What is the care and feeding of alcantara and are those who have these cars finding it wears and cleans well? Thanks

Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
It is quite easy to clean alcantara, its like regular cloth. But be aware: alcantara wears pretty quick!

I had to switch my steering wheel and shifter in about a year and a half, I went back to leather... I would upgrade to leather if I were you

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
I found the seat wear is ok but the steering wheel deteriorates quickly,,get sort of clumpy.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:59 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Porsche and MBZ have the best Alcantera. Good for garage queens (like my turbo), bad for daily drivers.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Wear driving gloves to keep the steering wheel free of hand oil and wear.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
Wear driving gloves to keep the steering wheel free of hand oil and wear.
What if it's you dd?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:34 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
A trick of mine to upkeep the Alcantara:

I keep a 'microfiber body glove' in the glove compartment of my car. Every once a while or everytime after a long sweaty-palm driving, I put the glove on and wipe the Alcantara surface (steering wheel, shifter, handbrake, inside door armrest, seat surface, etc.) It takes only seconds, and it works wonder to upkeep the Alcantara surface.

With best regards,

P.S. Here is a sample picture of the 'microfiber body glove'. It is shown in pink color but they also came in other colors like green or orange to match our cool RS exterior colors If we don't know where to buy them, just ask our wife/girlfriend/significant-others and they will know.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 AM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 AM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
A trick of mine to upkeep the Alcantara:

I keep a 'microfiber body glove' in the glove compartment of my car.

There you go - just buy 2 of these and use them as driving gloves - problem solved

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I didn't mean track gloves but leather driving gloves. I've had my Alcantara steering wheel for about a year now and it still looks new because of wearing gloves.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
What if it's you dd?
You mean you don't wear gloves in your DD? I wear a Nomex racing suit in my DD. You should see the impressed looks the drivers in the cars next to me shoot my direction. I toss on my helmet for days I want to really impress the ladies.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 AM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sparkhill
I toss on my helmet....to really impress the ladies.
Are you allowed to do that in public in your part of the world...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
masmole is infamous around these parts
Nothing better for alcantara surfaces than alcantara gloves

Lightweight and ventilated, so seems appropriate for warm weather too (though you risk looking like a tool lol), to use as driving gloves, daily, away from the track.

http://http://www.beretta.com/Apparel/Spring-Summer-Man/Cloth-Access-Caps-Hats-Gloves/Gloves/Alcantara-Mesh-Gloves/index.aspx?m=82&f=2&id=1125

Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM
808GT3 is infamous around these parts
i wish i had gone with just leather.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 AM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
steering wheel in smooth leather is a no cost option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alcantara care and feeding...