Blown away! Clear coat??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 AM
moester76 is infamous around these parts
Blown away! Clear coat??

members,

Just picked up my black 997.2 GT3.
My porsche fantasy started about 3 years ago with a 07 cayman s.
I was very happy with it but this ride is totally insane!
I love this car.
Hope fully post some pics later.
Just need recs on a good radar detector/laser jammer system.
I want something that I dont need to rip the car apart to get installed, but be effective enough mostly on the freeway. I will be commuting with this car so the dealer offered a $2400 clear coat? is this a good idea?

thanks.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
re the clear coat, no. get a full frontal clear bra, cost about 1300.00 for clear bra all the way back to the windshield, including hood and fenders and side mirrors and headlights and turnsignals etc. please don't do a partial hood/fenders as to me the line of demarcation looks really bad.

agree that the ride is truly insane.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
+1 on the clear bra, BUT definetly find a shop that knows what they are doing. I have multiple clear bras on multiple different cars and have seen a spectrum of quality with the install.

Concerning radar/jammers, I think the majority would go with the V1 (hardwiring is a easy DIY), but I also have the BLINDER jammers and install wasn't too bad but I have recently recieved a ticket so not too sure now that they are working correctly...

Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Skip the dealer "clear coat" and go to Premier - they are the best, period. While you are in Fremont, you may as well stop by SharkWerks and spend a little money.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 10GT3
re the clear coat, no. get a full frontal clear bra, cost about 1300.00 for clear bra all the way back to the windshield, including hood and fenders and side mirrors and headlights and turnsignals etc. please don't do a partial hood/fenders as to me the line of demarcation looks really bad.
+1! The half bra is not so visible, but some stones can hit the upper part of the hood. I have a stone chip above the clear bra on the hood

Full cover on the hood will ensure no stone chip

Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
moester76,

Are you located in Danville? If so, you are lucky that live close to one of the best clear bra installers - Premier - in the nation.

Give Premier a call. They are located in Fremont, and they can installer full-hood clear bra for you that costs less than the clear coat your dealer offers.

http://premiermobilegroup.com/

When I picked up my 997.2 GT3, I went immediately to Premier to have my clear bra installer. I couldn't be happier.

Regards,

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Skip the dealer "clear coat" and go to Premier - they are the best, period. While you are in Fremont, you may as well stop by SharkWerks and spend a little money.
+1. Premier is the place and forget the clear coat. Basically a $200 wax job and they don't even use Vaseline.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
The dealership wax, teflon type paint protection coating is nothing more than a wax job imo. Don't waste your money on that. Instead, speak to Premier as others here have mentioned to get a proper clear bra put onto your car. I've used them on over a dozen of my personal cars as well as use them for our insurance claims department. They get high marks from our customers.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
dont bother clr coat.
call sammy at premier and put the clr film on, then you can start tail gating whatever you like.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by moester76
members,

Just picked up my black 997.2 GT3.
My porsche fantasy started about 3 years ago with a 07 cayman s.
I was very happy with it but this ride is totally insane!
I love this car.
Hope fully post some pics later.
Just need recs on a good radar detector/laser jammer system.
I want something that I dont need to rip the car apart to get installed, but be effective enough mostly on the freeway. I will be commuting with this car so the dealer offered a $2400 clear coat? is this a good idea?

thanks.

Congrats!!

BY any chance did you get this GT3 at Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek? If so....you beat me to it by 2 days!! My wife and I came on Tuesday and they said it was sold on the weekend!

congrats again!

H

Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice.
I'm having a clear coat put on the whole front bumper, entire hood, mirrors and door edges. Hope that keeps all the road debris and pebble damage under control.
I test drove the turbo when I was deciding which one to go with. I have to admit i'm very happy with my descion. the turbo is a sweet ride as well..but this is a 'driver's car like has been said before.

H Thanks for the congrats. I couldn't pass up such a sweet ride.
esp the all black interior and ceramics. its weird bec if I was going to pre order..this is the exact car I would have ordered. I think livermore has one very similar to this one.

Just need some sound advice on a radar detector/laser jammer setup without ripping the whole car apart.

m.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Passport 9500ix for radar detector and for full laser protection/jamming the passport 9500CI is the only way to fly (below the radar! ) There is a bit of install with the 9500CI but the 9500ix is as simple as any detector and has a bunch of features....red light camera downloads etc....

Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I'm having a clear coat put on the whole front bumper, entire hood, mirrors and door edges. Hope that keeps all the road debris and pebble damage under control.
Do you mean Clear Bra the protection film, or the clear coat offered by your dealer?

Regards,

Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Its the clear bra. made by expel. I looked at the material. almost impossible to tear and a few mms thick.

Does anyone have the 9500ci system installed on a GT3? how do you like it??

m.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by moester76
Its the clear bra. made by expel. I looked at the material. almost impossible to tear and a few mms thick.

Does anyone have the 9500ci system installed on a GT3? how do you like it??

m.
90% of how these look depends on installation. I had one on my Aston that I hated.

Found Premier for my Porsche and can't hardly tell its there. I would suggest doing the front back to the doors and the mirrors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown away! Clear coat??