Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Advice needed...tying down RS on trailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Advice needed...tying down RS on trailer

I am driving to Porsche Parade on Friday. I have a trailer but have found that the way I tie down the car pulls it out of alignment. Pics below. Does anyone have any better way to do it??.......

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have tie down hooks from Rennline. The rears are an open loop, in front of the engine. The fronts are the one's that attach to the front jack points. Work well, no problems at all.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I use the rennline tie downs as well. great investment, especially after i spend $300 for a alignment, I want to make sure its still good when i get to the track.

I have also heard never to tie it down in a X pattern nor even leave it in gear while trailering

Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds interesting. Wonder if it works with the RS which is very low to start with

Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
it works... my buddy has them on his RS..... the only downside is jacking the car up on the front jack point get lower so you need a low profile jack

Old 06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
I use the rennline tie downs as well and have had no problem. I do cross my straps as that is a majority of the input I got while researching this topic. I have read not to use the front tow hook as a tie down point...looks like your using it to wench your car up so that is good.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Except for the "X" in the rear, I've always done it through the wheels like you have pictured. Its worked on GT3's, TT's, and CGT's w/o issue. Also, I wouldn't depend on the winch for much more than pulling the load onto the trailer.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Interesting comments. I always tie down the rear of my Porsche's in a cross pattern. The motor is back there and it causes a tendency to bounce from side to side enough to concern me. I have trailered tons of them too. With no problems on the cross pattern. I do not do the front that way. I've never had alignment problems either.

On the "in gear" note, what are you supposed to do when you get off track and get on the trailer to secure the car? The emergency brake won't work because of the heat. I have put the car in 1st gear and have had no issues, but I also have wood in front of the front and rear tires for extra insurance, and the wood is bolted to my enclosed trailer floor.

Last edited by cc08gt2; 07-01-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I cross both front and rear, leave it in first gear and with the hand brake on. With the Rennline tie downs sitting right behind the front wheels, crossing it is the only way I can see it would work. I have travelled over 600 KM's from my home to the track (a number of times) and haven't had an issue with the car moving at all.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Tim Kay is infamous around these parts
I cross both front and rear, leave it in first gear and with the hand brake on. With the Rennline tie downs sitting right behind the front wheels, crossing it is the only way I can see it would work.
+1^ Crossing is recommended by many. Logically is eliminates side to side movement. If you don't want to cross then pull at an angle, at least not parrallel to each other which will allow the car to creep to one side or the other.

I too use the Rennline E04 tie hooks, 90 deg in the rear. To save a few bucks I fabricated a threaded insert to slip into the front jack pad and use a 45 deg E04 in the front. (note they come in sets of 2) In addition, strapping to the chassis rather than the wheels preloads the car allowing much less suspension movement while traveling.

As far as transmission in or out of gear I tend to believe it's safer to leave the trans in neutral. In the event the straps are not real tight then the car can move back in forth and if in gear then its slapping the gear it's in. Can't be good over the long haul.

Hand brake, no matter. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Certainly not if the brakes are hot.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
ooberge is infamous around these parts
It works for me with porsche original hooks like yours front and back no problem so ever

Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sloth
Except for the "X" in the rear, I've always done it through the wheels like you have pictured. Its worked on GT3's, TT's, and CGT's w/o issue. Also, I wouldn't depend on the winch for much more than pulling the load onto the trailer.
It works very well for me and all my friends (through the wheels with no crossing). No aligment problem (I have it checked regularely though). Your D-Rings look like they are close enough to the wheels so you shouldn't have any problem with straight tie-downs. The car won't move anyway unless you do some cross-country