Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GMG Roll Bar opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
schillster1@aol is infamous around these parts
GMG Roll Bar opinions

I'm looking at a preowned GMG roll bar. It's the World Challenge bar that retails for around $1,645. So what's the major difference between this one and the GMG RSR roll bar that sells for around $2,395? I'm hoping the World Challenge will be sufficient so I can safe some $$$$$. I've been dropping a lot of money into my GT3 "track car" and I'm trying to watch every dollar. Opinions please.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC the world challenge bar installs similar to the t-equipment bar from Porsche (front lower seatbelt mount point and the rear seatbelt mount points). The RSR bar mounts to the rear shock towers and the front lower seatbelt mount point. The RSR bar is going to keep the chassis stiffer by supporting the strut towers as well.

Both bars are very nice and either will work

Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Number54 is infamous around these parts
Just a quick comment - GMG sells (or used to at least) a rear-shock attachment for the WC-GT cage.

What's the advantage of the RSR over the WC-GT + rear shock mount setup?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
i think the RSR is a ad on to the wc bar.

making it a 6 point attachment (seatbelts and rear shock points).

Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
The bar GMG installed in my 2K10gt3 was six point roll bar. IMHO the more points of attachment the better.

-Troy

Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 PM
FLM911 is infamous around these parts
Have the RSR bar in my .2 GT3. Looks great, no rattles whatsoever. Does stiffen the rear of the car up. Would recommend it, and I spent way too long considering every option out there. Happy with my choice.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
I just installed an RSR bar in a 997TT, it is only a 4 point bar, but utilizes the shock towers in the rear. It is also a two piece bar, which makes installation a breeze.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Additional alternative is the RSS rollbar. Also bolts to rear upper shock mounts. Does not bolt to seatbelt points.

Just another choice.

I had the OEM factory (RS) rollbar in my GT3 and drove me crazy creaking.

Ranger

Last edited by GT3Ranger; 06-30-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
caltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to all
I have it in my GT3.... I got it over the TE bars as it allows for my seat to go back more... Fits like a glove...

Old 07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FLM911
Have the RSR bar in my .2 GT3. Looks great, no rattles whatsoever. Does stiffen the rear of the car up. Would recommend it, and I spent way too long considering every option out there. Happy with my choice.
Just ordered a black RSR for my new RS and it is on the way. Did a lot of research and the RSR seemed like the best one out there in terms of fit and finish.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have a nice roll bar too as an option - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...o-p-74008.html

Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
bperry is infamous around these parts
I just ordered the GMG RSR bar as well for my .2 RS. Fabryce says easier to install than the harness bar. Can't wait.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:40 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
roll bar is not a place where you want to save money. nothing else on the car is more important than the bar.

more attachment points is not better. better attachment points is better. every manufacturer has pluses and minuses. do your research. look at the bars, run some FEA and you shall see....

what you see and what you hear may not be what you want to see or hear.....

Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
PorscheSocieta is infamous around these parts
Vivid is your rollbar modeled after a specific one already out there? Love that it can fit both 6&7

Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Gents

Thanks for all the kind words on our products.

As some have pointed out we do offer two bar options the World Challenge and the RSR

We also offer a upgrade to the World Challenge bar which gives you up to 6 points of attachment behind the driver and passenger seat.

The standard World Challenge bar mounts like the factory T Equipment bar that was available for the 996 cars. Mounting to the seat belt anchor points at the B pillar and at the rear seats.. ( GT3 and GT2 owners 996 and 997 your cars have the seat belt anchors under the carpet) You can upgrade this roll bar to have the additional rear strut tower braces. This configuration offers the most points of attachment of any bar on the market.
This bar fits both 996 and 997 models.

The RSR bar is modeled after the factory half cage that was available from the factory but is no longer sold in North America.

We added a few things to our bar and improved what the factory offered based on what our clients needed and safety requirements in the states were as it pertained to construction, tubing diameter and construction.

Both bars feature the following

4130 Chromoly tubing ( factory bar is mild steel, mig welded and thin wall tubing)
Our bar is Tig welded and normalized
Meets weight requirements of 996 and 997 cars for track use.
Our bars allow to have both seats moved all the way back.
No cutting of the cars required/direct bolt in. No need to drill holes in the car to mount to the floor.
Fit 996 and 997coupes ALL with or without sunroof. We also have a 996 and 997 cab roll bar.
You can move both seats all the way back.. Our design offers the most leg room on the market even with the stock seats.
Absolutely no creaking or noise from our roll bar.

Both bars are in stock and ready to ship.

I would like to point out that our original design the GT Cup harness /roll bar which we started manufacturing in early 2004 has been copied by several other companies over the years. Which is "flattering to say the least".

With the World Challenge and the RSR bars we changed the designed and added some updated features that the GT cup harness bar did not have.. One of which was the ability to move both the drivers and passenger side seats all the way back. On the GT Cup bar you could only move the driver seat and not passenger side.

For more info on the roll bars please visit our website:

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_interior.shtml

Thanks again for all the support throughout the years !!!

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 07-08-2010 at 12:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GMG Roll Bar opinions