Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS Track Set Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
tford is infamous around these parts
GT3 RS Track Set Up

New to this forum (I've got a Black and Gold GT3RS on order), and apologize in advance, as I'm sure most of these topics have been covered before. I am in the process of spec'ing out the car for heavy track use. Any help/insights on the following would be appreciated:

-I see that most people seem to go with the Schroth belts and harnesses. Has anyone used SafeCraft, they were recommended to me?
-Any recommendations on roll cage and installation, I live in Northern California
-I've read in some of the trade mags about the difficulty of heal/toe-ing the GT3 RS, what has been people's experience? If it is an issue, any recommendations?
-I don't really see the need for a fire suppression system, but another friend mentioned it. Any thoughts?
-Tires: any preference other than the Hoosier's?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Tford

Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
Tford,
You might want to check out the RSS Roll bar. They have a few different offerings depending on your needs. Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions =)

Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
-A lot of folks like the Schroth belts b/c they offer a GT3 specific belt. No additional hardware required.
-Most seem to go with one of three rollbars... GMG, RSS, or the factory Clubsport bar. Which type depends on you and how you want it installed. Should be plenty of folks in N. CA that can handle an install... The Racres Group is located in Pentaluma near Infineon Raceway.
-I've never had a problem w/ heel & toe while at the track. Street is a little tougher, but not as much need there.
-Fire suppresion... plumbed in or a hand held fire extinguisher? Plumbed in is the way to go for best protection. A hand held is better than nothing. Whether or not its worth having one is your call.
-Tires... Are Hoosiers offered in the proper sizes?? Others could likely answer the tire question better than I.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
schroth is much nicer than safecraft. i am not aware of any nor cal shops that would actually recommend safecraft over schroth, who are you working with? i am in norcal and know just about everybody worth knowing up here.

roll bar, you can take your pix, but if you want a very nice one, www.tcdesignfab.com makes the best. call tony there and say mooty sent you. it has the least compromise of any bars out there.

hard to heel and toe in RS? which magazine? they driver probably can't drive. it's probably the easiest car to heel and toe in.

if you have interior, you cannot plumb in a fire supression system. most ppl get fire distinguiser. sharkey, also in nor cal (fremont) will set you up.

u forgot to mention the most important thing to track your RS. you need alignment. again tcdesign is your best bet.

tires: toyo RA1 245/40 335/30 or hoosiers. i just sold off 5 sets. you are just a tad late. i day in fact. do you have steel or pccb wheels? if steel, i have a set of bbs motorsport wheels (identical to cup cars except center bored for our cars) for sale at discounted price of $5000, msrp 6000.

who do you track with in the past? perhaps we have met before. i am on track every other weekend or so.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM
tford is infamous around these parts
Great information. Will be following up with these key suppliers. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
-Tford

Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
RSS rollbar
rennline pedals with heel toe extension
track alignment
fire extinguisher
hans device
schroth hans specific harnesses
Toyo RA1 or Nitto1 NT01 Tires
18" Track wheels (buy mootys!!)
Arai Helmet

Then go out and drive the **** out of it like porsche intended you too!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 PM
bperry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sloth
-A lot of folks like the Schroth belts b/c they offer a GT3 specific belt. No additional hardware required.
-Most seem to go with one of three rollbars... GMG, RSS, or the factory Clubsport bar. Which type depends on you and how you want it installed. Should be plenty of folks in N. CA that can handle an install... The Racres Group is located in Pentaluma near Infineon Raceway.
-I've never had a problem w/ heel & toe while at the track. Street is a little tougher, but not as much need there.
-Fire suppresion... plumbed in or a hand held fire extinguisher? Plumbed in is the way to go for best protection. A hand held is better than nothing. Whether or not its worth having one is your call.
-Tires... Are Hoosiers offered in the proper sizes?? Others could likely answer the tire question better than I.

Hope this helps...
Do the Schroth belts clip in to the GT3 seats without modification to the car? I ordered a set with my RSR bar but haven't received them yet. Can you also maintain the factory belts for street use?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Guard Limited Slip Differential internals. Surprised no one mentioned this already?

Matt Monson will hook you up.

Your stock LSD will last approx 1-3 track events depending on your driving style. After that, you have a one-wheel-drive RS.

Traqjunk.com brake spring shim compressing tool to make pad changes/flips easy as pie.

Precision Instruments 3 pc torque wrench for the centerlocks. If you have ceramics, you need to buy the red ***** tool too.

GT3 specific belts use existing belt mounts for laps and maintain the stock belts. You need the B-K pieces for the anti-subs.

Congrats and enjoy! Woo-hoo!

Oh yeah, what Mobonic said- A HANS device if you don't already have one. And a fire suit. Both make you irresistible to the ladies...

Last edited by sayboy; 07-04-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
savyboy is right. you need all the ***** tool which is from 3R racing, google the shop. $350 or so.

if you dont have this tool or equivalent, you simple cannot track the car
http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...s-c4d600f.aspx
and you wont see many 2010 RS on track, so you wont be able to borrow it.

oh, GT3/RS comes with open LSD. if yours still works after driving home from dealers, you didn't drive it very hard. call matt monson and get it fixed.

ALL schroth belts will fit your car. the is one specifically made for GT3, which i dont like. the other one's you just put an eyebolt on outboard side of seat, use the eyebolt to replace the bolt holding the oem belt and then clip the harness onto the eye. if your tech cannot understand what i just said, pls find new tech. i find many ppl asking this question. belts are not something you order. i would find a trust worthy shop (extremely few) and just have them put it on. i dont experiment with my own life. i have 10+ track cars. i have fk'd up many times. so i am trying to point out the short and correct way to do this.

i dont make living doing this. i dont own a shop. i pay a LOT of money to various shop every year. some i simply will not do business with. you are in nor cal. you got three shops and ONLY three shops you need to goto for modern p cars. air cool, then i have another batch of shops to recommend.

i hate this site. why is it my pix are always tiny? why can't they make this simple...
anyways, look at the rear wheel you will see the giant ***** tool.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mooty; 07-04-2010 at 08:54 PM.