Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

I have read a few times (yes, mostly by Boxster owners) that the Boxster is faster on the track, but I just can't see how it is true. Obviously the power is an issue, but Porsche could easily fix that if they thought the mid-engine layout was superior to the rear-engine of the 911. All the racing technologies, money, and effort go into developing the 911 for the track, not the Boxster. Any truth in that a Boxster is faster on the track than a 911 (GT3, GT2, C2, TT, whatever)? Perhaps just a short track or autocross?

Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 PM
4Kurves is infamous around these parts
Yesterday at Streets of Willow which is a very tight and technical track my GT-3 was about 3 seconds faster then the fastest Boxster out there.

So, no I don't think they are faster on track. Maybe in Auto-x.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Wish I would have been there - my buddy was there in his seal grey Boxster S - he left around 11. Do you happen to remember him? I think there was only 3 of them at the event - was largely made up of 911 drivers.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by teutonictrio
Wish I would have been there - my buddy was there in his seal grey Boxster S - he left around 11. Do you happen to remember him? I think there was only 3 of them at the event - was largely made up of 911 drivers.
Yes - I remember seeing that car. Why did he leave so early?

Old 02-01-2005, 12:51 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Re: Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

... All the racing technologies, money, and effort go into developing the 911 for the track, not the Boxster. Any truth in that a Boxster is faster on the track than a 911 (GT3, GT2, C2, TT, whatever)? Perhaps just a short track or autocross?
The driver plays a large role in how fast a car is on the track. That being said, unless the driver of the 911s you mentioned has no skill, I don't see them being outpaced by a Boxster.

However, your arugment does not account for the business side of car manufacturing. The 911 is the flagship, so having a better performing Boxster could potentially sink their business.

Since you mentioned racing technology and money, when Porsche wanted to win (and did) Le Mans OA with a 911, where did they put the engine?

Greg A

Old 02-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Re: Re: Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

Originally posted by teflon
Since you mentioned racing technology and money, when Porsche wanted to win (and did) Le Mans OA with a 911, where did they put the engine?

Greg A
Hahaha - good point!

Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned for Eternity
He left early to get to my baby's 2nd birthday party! What a good friend, huh? We'll both be there for the events in April and September, most likely, and I will be fresh from PDE in Alabama in March, only on a 911, so hope that doesn't either screw me up or spoil me.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned for Eternity
So Greg - Porsche put the engine toward mid for the Le Mans 911 or what? I thought it was the GT3 RSR's being driven there, and from what I know, they are rear engine. Did they slide them up a bit or something?

Last edited by teutonictrio; 02-01-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Yep, the 911 GT1-98 which won Le Mans in '98 had a mid-engine. Its predecessors, the '96 GT1 and '97 Evo were also mid-engined. The '96 & '97 were built by using the front clip from a 911 while the '98 was a straight up prototype.

I missed your questions about the RSR when I originally posted this. The GT3 RSR is the current Porsche race car and it has the traditional 911 rear engine, but the RSRs do not compete for overall wins at Le Mans.

Greg A

Last edited by teflon; 02-01-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:16 PM
So Greg - Porsche put the engine toward mid for the Le Mans 911 or what? I thought it was the GT3 RSR's being driven there, and from what I know, they are rear engine. Did they slide them up a bit or something?
The GT-1 that won the overall in 1998 (and 97?) was a mid-engine car.

Mid-engine (ahead of the rear axle) is the best design for sure. Hanging the engine out over the rear (a la 911) makes no sense at all - only Porsche's supurb engineering over 40 years has mad it work.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:35 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

Originally posted by teflon

Greg A
But...when they more recently sat down with a clean sheet of paper and designed a new LeMans car...where did they put the engine. In the middle (the CGT).

Old 02-01-2005, 01:49 PM
John,

What do you mean, "but"? I guess I don't understand your point.

The 911 GT1 & CGT are both mid-engined. The aborted 2000 Le Mans car was a prototype. Porsche has a history of making mid-engined prototypes, the 2000 LMP is nothing new. 917, 936, 956, 962, etc.

The CGT was developed from the aborted LMP project, so it would naturally have a mid-engine anyway.

The GT1 was not a clean sheet design and was originally built w/911 parts so it could more easily be homologated & crash certified.

Greg A

Last edited by teflon; 02-01-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned for Eternity
Why then can't Porsche change the 'flagship' to a mid-engine design?? They develop their racecars with mid-engine layout, do really well, develop the new flagship (CGT) as mid-engine, but keep the 911 as rear? It's not that bold a move to slip the engine up a few feet, is it?

Old 02-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Todd,

At one point, Porsche was convinced the 911 was finished and they had planned to discontinue it. That attempted move almost ruined the company.

My guess--and it is just a wild guess--is that Porsche is too worried that any serious change to the 911 will significantly damage the company in terms of sales.

Greg A

Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned for Eternity
Yeah, forgot about that. The 928 was supposed to signal the 'new Porsche', and they were planning ot have the front engines just overtake the ancient rear-engine, 'peoples car'-derivitive 911 go by the wayside.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?