Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Low speed front end clunk on 2010 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
rosenbergendo is infamous around these parts
Low speed front end clunk on 2010 GT3?

Approaching my driveway I hear a clunk in the front end of the car (seems like the left). I know the scraping sound of the apron and this isnt it. Any ideas? I looked under the front end and nothing is dragging. It seems mostly when turning at very low speeds (>5mph) and up a small incline.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 PM
M3GT3RS is infamous around these parts
do you mean metal on asphalt scrape?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I think it may be the plastic of the front brake fins on the undertray being loaded and then popping back in. Is this possible? Definitely not metal on asphalt scrape. It make the noise and then "pops" out a few seconds later without any damage to the chin lip, so it must me under that. My wife cant drive stick or I'd have someone pull the car out and look. Its just annoying as hell.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Do you have front lift? I had a similar problem..... My car was lowered 5mm.... When I was going over dips or up driveways, I would hear a loud "pop" in the front suspension. It happened enough times for me to isolate it to the right side. I knew it occurred when the right side became fully uncompressed and "free hanging" like our suspensions can do sometimes. The noise would then happen when the suspension started to compress again.

I took it to my shop (RSS) and they put it on the rack and the top of the right spring was actually coming unseated when the suspension was hanging. This made sense considering my experience with the noise.... The srping would "pop" back into place. I believe the front lift magnified the situation. I haven't picked up the car yet but the solution was to raise the car back to stock.

Is this similar to your experience?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I heard that 'clunk' sound as well.

I believe mine is behind the right front wheel area, and it only happens when I go through a driveway turning in an angle. The sound seems harmless (to me somehow) though, so I never really investigate much further.

I could be wrong, yet I feel that the sound is caused by a tube that sticks down behind the right front wheel (something like a drainage tube for A/C or rain water?) and scraping the ground when I go through a deep driveway in an angle. If we crawl down and look at the undercarriage behind the right fornt wheel, we can see that tube sticking down...

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 07-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 AM
timothy is infamous around these parts
I too have heard the loud popping noises, don't know if it's the same problem. Once during braking, and once when I was stationary in the car. Both times from the front left wheel area. It sounded like the sound was coming from a thick piece of metal.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Its definitely from the left front. Heard it again descending the driveway this morning. It sounds like a piece becomes "loaded" and then "pops" back to normal 3-5 secs later. 100% it is not the front apron but annoying enough that I want it rectified or identified.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 AM
FYI-Do not have the front lift kit.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Video now included

You can hear the "clank" at 6-7 seconds in.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
That's the exact sound I experienced. What exactly are you doing in the video precisely when the sound happens? ie. Pulling into a driveway in a left turn and the sound happened when the left wheel etc etc. Sounds like we have the same issue and I thought mine was due to my mods....

I'd take it to a shop or dealer and have them put it on a rack and see if what I described in my above post is happening to you too.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
It’s under warranty still, why not tell the dealer to fix it?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Do you have floating rotors (PCCB) ? They can be noisy... meaning not under braking but when the rotors are actually moving a bit at slow speed.

Last edited by GT3Techno; 07-05-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
It’s under warranty still, why not tell the dealer to fix it?
I have the RSS Tarmac suspension so I assumed it had something to do with that. I also had the car lowered. If it happens again, I'm going straight to the dealer to have it fixed..... It's actually good to hear that someone else had a similar problem... however unfortunate it is.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
avi8tir
I only hear it when approaching my minimal driveway approach turning as you describe. It sometimes takes a few seconds to "pop" back. I will be taking it to the dealer. My car is bone stock with under 1500 miles. It might be the strut or shocks are loose??

Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Now it is doing it anytime I turn. Taking it into the dealer to check it out. Pretty sure it isnt normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low speed front end clunk on 2010 GT3?