Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Pilot sport cups

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Pilot sport cups

I am about to order a set for 997.1 gt3 and they said there is a new (cup+) version and the old. Anyone know the real difference (besides the price)?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Just spoke with Damon at TR and he is saying a little bit better wet traction, a bit harder compound so more miles and maybe a bit better grip. $200 more for the set.
Wonder if you can feel a difference?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
maserm3gt3 is infamous around these parts
I had a set of new cup+ on earlier this year on my GT3.1 so far so good
done only 500 miles so far; i drove few times on rain (not heavy) and feels good. All new GT3.2 are wearing those on as replacement of the old cups

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I've never heard of a tire with a harder compound having more grip. Wet performance improvement yes, because they changed the grove pattern. Longer life because of harder compound, yes. If you are buying these for the street then they are probably better. If for the track, then not.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
I still like the pirellis for wet weather more than sport cups

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
In another recent thread, two people said the pirellis went off quickly and unexpectedly quickly after about 2k. What has been your experience concerning longevity?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
My new RS came with the N1 version of the MPSCs. I have gone through at least a half dozen sets of the N0 version on my Turbo. The N1s have only one change that I can spot which is a very narrow (1mm) channel on the shoulder where the little rounded rectangle shapes are. They otherwise appear to be the same but my understanding is that they are compliant with some new manufacturing standards so some of the compounds are slightly different. They certainly feel good so I'll probably stick with the N1 versions going forward assuming wear is consistent with the N0 version (about 35 track sessions with a few thousand street miles in between).

Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
I believe/heard the ps cup+ are less sticky than the ps cups...the ps cup+ tires come on euro m3's and euro carerra's

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by riverflyer
In another recent thread, two people said the pirellis went off quickly and unexpectedly quickly after about 2k. What has been your experience concerning longevity?
I get 5k to 6k out of the Corsa's on the street.
600 to 700 on the track.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
I have 4400 miles on my GT3.2 (~1500 track miles) and yesterday ordered my third set of tires. I have been running Corsas but ordered the PS Cups (N1) this time because they are cheaper, can be rotated side to side and I have heard they are better on the track. I also got about 700 track miles out of the Corsas. Would prefer to run Hoosiers in 18s but need an extra set of wheels first.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I don't notice a big difference. I have 1300 miles on my RS, and 1000 of them are on the track. Tires seem to be lasting a bit longer, and it is only now that I need new tires. I'm happy with them, but sick of the price of them.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 AM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Here's my 2 cents: I have had 15 sets of tires on my 07 GT3 in just over 42,000 miles; 13 MPSC's n & N1, one set of Corsa systems and a set of PS2's but only for a very short time, 1800 miles. The PS2's are now sitting in my garage as they serve no purpose on a GT3 unless you want to drive in a Northern California rain storm at 5/10's. The Cosa's were great for the first 1500 miles espescialy in the wet. After that they went away very quickly and had to be changed out at 1847 miles for a set of the N1 MPSC's. I will not be purchasing another set of them unless Tire Rack will give them to me for half off!! I'm sticking to the MPSC's, for my type of driving they are the best value and give me the best performance. I just wish they weren't so damn $$$!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:09 PM
There you have it, when Snowboarder talks about gt3 tires, ya better listen. I was telling him Michelin ought to give him some kind of honorary postion or award. He said a free set of tires would do

Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jbxea1
I have 4400 miles on my GT3.2 (~1500 track miles) and yesterday ordered my third set of tires. I have been running Corsas but ordered the PS Cups (N1) this time because they are cheaper, can be rotated side to side and I have heard they are better on the track. I also got about 700 track miles out of the Corsas. Would prefer to run Hoosiers in 18s but need an extra set of wheels first.
How can they be rotated? Aren't they directional as well as positional? I think I just made that word up but you know what I mean (pointed in a certain direction as well as inside/outside).

I had MPSC on my last car. Loved them. My car came with Pirellis. Will be swapping MPSC for those as soon as they are worn.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brownan
My new RS came with the N1 version of the MPSCs. I have gone through at least a half dozen sets of the N0 version on my Turbo. The N1s have only one change that I can spot which is a very narrow (1mm) channel on the shoulder where the little rounded rectangle shapes are. They otherwise appear to be the same but my understanding is that they are compliant with some new manufacturing standards so some of the compounds are slightly different. They certainly feel good so I'll probably stick with the N1 versions going forward assuming wear is consistent with the N0 version (about 35 track sessions with a few thousand street miles in between).
You got 35 track sessions and a couple thousand street tires out of one set of tires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot sport cups