Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Picked up a 996 GT3 yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Wonderful car! It's like new! Wow. Enjoy!

FYI, I just sold my RS4. It's a pig compared to a GT3. The under-steer and AWD makes it a very safe platform for track time. However, your GT3 has handling dynamics that are completely opposite of an RS4. And with higher limits, but once reached, need much more skill to control.

Here are some general rules to follow (feel free to add to the list - as there are some on here that have way more to add than me!.):
1.) Always be mindful of the rear-bias.
2.) Always feel and learn how to manipulate the car's weight to enhance front (off-gas, brake) and rear (on-gas) traction around the track.
3.) Never lift, never coast (maintenance throttle is your friend - either on-gas or brake - nothing else.)
4.) Slow in - fast out (over time will be fast in and faster out).
5.) You can get on the gas significantly earlier than you think (before apex).
6.) Smooth-off brake during and/or before turn-in to reduce under-steer related to front rebounding off load of forward momentum.
7.) Know when and how over-steer happens and pre-empt it with counter-steer inputs before IT happens (i.e. anticipate and prevent vs. react when it happens).
7A.) Snap over-steer happens due to rear breaking loose immediately after turn-in. Happens when going in hot. Preempt by doing light counter-steer inputs immediately after turn-in until apex.
7B.) Throttle over-steer happens when on-gas too hard out of turn. This is easier to control vs. snap over-steer. Pre-empt/control by slight counter steer inputs as you power out of turn to control slide to outside line.
7C.) in both cases inputs need to be slight and increased depending on severity of over-steer.
8.) Have an experienced Porsche instructor ride with you and guide you.

Am I missing anything? ..... Oh... be safe and have fun!
Excellent notes! Thank you, sir!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mooty
you should come to this
http://www.gglotus.org/
tue coming week.
9 GT3's will be there.
Damn! All day meeting on the 13th. . . sister getting married on the 30th. Perhaps, an August event. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:13 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Congrats again! That car is really a stunner. The 996 GT3 was the first Porsche I ever rode in and, as you know, I've been dreamin' ever since. Nothing like the wide open throttle sound and feel of a '3'. Can't wait to see it on track!

Hey, Laguna: "Smooth-off brake during and/or before turn-in to reduce under-steer related to front rebounding off load of forward momentum" - - - I tried but I can't seem to decipher this, especially the last part of the sentence. What do you mean exactly? Thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Sweeeet. That's going to be a lot more fun but I guess you already knew that ;-)

Would be great to have your wife drive the RS4 at AudiFest! But warning: She may get hooked and will want to drive the GT3 the next time around ;-)

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Wonderful car! It's like new! Wow. Enjoy!

FYI, I just sold my RS4. It's a pig compared to a GT3. The under-steer and AWD makes it a very safe platform for track time. However, your GT3 has handling dynamics that are completely opposite of an RS4. And with higher limits, but once reached, need much more skill to control.

Here are some general rules to follow (feel free to add to the list - as there are some on here that have way more to add than me!.):
1.) Always be mindful of the rear-bias.
2.) Always feel and learn how to manipulate the car's weight to enhance front (off-gas, brake) and rear (on-gas) traction around the track.
3.) Never lift, never coast (maintenance throttle is your friend - either on-gas or brake - nothing else.)
4.) Slow in - fast out (over time will be fast in and faster out).
5.) You can get on the gas significantly earlier than you think (before apex).
6.) Smooth-off brake during and/or before turn-in to reduce under-steer related to front rebounding off load of forward momentum.
7.) Know when and how over-steer happens and pre-empt it with counter-steer inputs before IT happens (i.e. anticipate and prevent vs. react when it happens).
7A.) Snap over-steer happens due to rear breaking loose immediately after turn-in. Happens when going in hot. Preempt by doing light counter-steer inputs immediately after turn-in until apex.
7B.) Throttle over-steer happens when on-gas too hard out of turn. This is easier to control vs. snap over-steer. Pre-empt/control by slight counter steer inputs as you power out of turn to control slide to outside line.
7C.) in both cases inputs need to be slight and increased depending on severity of over-steer.
8.) Have an experienced Porsche instructor ride with you and guide you.

Am I missing anything? ..... Oh... be safe and have fun!
Excellent advice, should be mandatory reading for all new GT3 owners!! Pay attention to #7A!!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:58 PM
rafafan 7 is infamous around these parts
Congrats! You won't be sorry you got a GT3, trust me.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
GoingGreen is infamous around these parts
Super clean! good job!!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by medpilot105
Congrats again! That car is really a stunner. The 996 GT3 was the first Porsche I ever rode in and, as you know, I've been dreamin' ever since. Nothing like the wide open throttle sound and feel of a '3'. Can't wait to see it on track!

Hey, Laguna: "Smooth-off brake during and/or before turn-in to reduce under-steer related to front rebounding off load of forward momentum" - - - I tried but I can't seem to decipher this, especially the last part of the sentence. What do you mean exactly? Thanks!
When threshold braking right before a turn (I mean when your eyes feel like they are popping out of sockets!), the car's weight dramatically shifts forward to front wheels and if one goes off-brake too fast/abruptly right before turn-in, the front suspension will rebound too hard/fast, creating a loss of front grip (as the rebound lightens the front just enough to lose grip on turn-in). This will induce an under-steer slide as you turn in. Having a smooth off-brake input will minimize this and will not disrupt the car and allow for maximum turn-in. Remember, 911's don't have a motor over the front wheels to minimize this effect. My explanation is a bit redundant, but I hope this helps explain what I was trying to say.

Generally (note: each turn has it's best approach), as one approaches a tight turn from straight, one threshold brakes (very, very, very hard initial brake-input), hold, then smooth off-brake to turn-in, then maintenance throttle to just before apex, then progressive throttle input coinciding with unwind of steering to full throttle as you slide/power out of turn.

Now trail braking.. carrying the braking into the turn and pivoting the car around the turn is another story... this requires a fast and immediate on throttle input (more than maintenance throttle) to plant the rear (stop the pivot) and enhance grip (shrift weight back to rear) to immediately power out of turn.

I know there are guys here that can add a lot more to this discussion. And sorry if this takes away from OP's thread about his new, sweet ride. Again, congrats and welcome to the club!

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-11-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all of the positive comments AND the track advice!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 AM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Laguna_Dude: Ah ha! Thanks for the excellent explaination. I understand now what you meant and that was a really thorough talk-through. Thanks. I'll be sure to file that away for the next day at the track.

Oh, and don't worry about thread jacking Mcgyver's post. That turkey deserves it. As I see it, he owes me a couple of thread jacks AND a ride simply because he bought this beautiful car. ;>) </smiles and waves> 'Hi Mike!'

Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by medpilot105
Oh, and don't worry about thread jacking Mcgyver's post. That turkey deserves it. As I see it, he owes me a couple of thread jacks AND a ride simply because he bought this beautiful car. ;>) </smiles and waves> 'Hi Mike!'
A ride? Sure. How about we experiment with 110+ into turn 10 at Infineon?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
That is one super clean GT3. Congrats on the purchase of the most raw for for Porsche in recent history. Just a wheel, three pedals, 6speeds, and ABS (at least they gave us that).

Sharif

Old 07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sales@Forged
That is one super clean GT3. Congrats on the purchase of the most raw for for Porsche in recent history. Just a wheel, three pedals, 6speeds, and ABS (at least they gave us that).

Sharif
So does this mean you are no longer a Boost Junkie.

Peter

Old 07-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XPGT2
So does this mean you are no longer a Boost Junkie.

Peter
Time to man up and do it NA....o'natural!

Sharif

Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Nice car. Just curious, how do you know it has never been tracked?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 996 GT3 yesterday