Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

My new GT3 gutted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
neuroguru is infamous around these partsneuroguru is infamous around these parts
I had the DME interrogated before I bought it. The PIWIS and OBD codes were run with each drive cycle. They swapped sensors from one bank to the other and ordered a new Cam/Crank differential sensor, then when that didn't work went to the camshaft actuator solenoids and switched those from side to side with the fault remaining on the original bank. The rings on the cam look pristine, so we are waiting on the back-ordered solenoid. The car was running great. All the additional technology adds many links to the chain that can fail. I just hope they reassemble her properly when the time comes. Tab A goes into Slot B. Just don't forget to torque it to 35nM on the dot!!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I had the DME interrogated before I bought it. The PIWIS and OBD codes were run with each drive cycle. They swapped sensors from one bank to the other and ordered a new Cam/Crank differential sensor, then when that didn't work went to the camshaft actuator solenoids and switched those from side to side with the fault remaining on the original bank. The rings on the cam look pristine, so we are waiting on the back-ordered solenoid. The car was running great. All the additional technology adds many links to the chain that can fail. I just hope they reassemble her properly when the time comes. Tab A goes into Slot B. Just don't forget to torque it to 35nM on the dot!!!!
If the car had 4,700 previous miles and all these CEL-related troubles happened just within 4 hours you took delivery of the car, I would say it is fair to ask the dealer to take back the car and arrange you for another car (whatever else available that fits you.)

There is definitely some conditions prior to your 4 hours ownership of the car, and who knows what other issues will surface down the road of your ownership.

Frankly, a lot of things could happen in 4,700 miles duirng the prior ownership, especially in the interesting Southern California area.

If it were me, I would just focus on exchanging for another car instead of anticipating the repair. It is better to act & leverage with your dealer now than later, while the car is still apart on the lift.

Best luck,

Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 AM
M3GT3RS is infamous around these parts
I agree. ^

Get a new one.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck.

I would familiarize yourself with your state's Lemon Law (might not apply since you are not original owner) and Magnusson Moss Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Failure to comply to reasonable standards will hopefully not be an issue for you but being aware of options during this problem would be my priority.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:42 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, I would look pretty hard at trying to swap for another car if possible.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
neuroguru is infamous around these partsneuroguru is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for the words of support (and probably a bit of rubbernecking at the pics like it's the scene of a homicide!).

I am familiar with MMA and federal and state Lemon Laws. They have 4 swings at bat or 30 days of non-use of the vehicle before I can cry lemon. I am loathe to invoke "lemon" unless necessary. It is the exact car I wanted and everyone appears to be acting in good faith. Good luck to me finding another one like this for a couple years. The car ran like a dream despite the CEL. Hopefully, this will simply be the camshaft actuator solenoid. If the CEL comes on when I drive her away from the dealer tomorrow, my optimism may turn to lidflipping.

Take note 997.2GT3 owners: it doesn't appear that service techs are well-versed in the new engine yet. PCNA has not even properly labeled certain screws on the vehicle with part numbers. I am not fond of my ride that cost more than a cup car being a guinea pig, but that is the price of being an early adopter of new technology.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Leigh2 is infamous around these parts
You have a long warranty period ahead of you so little to worry about if the engine problem persists. If you've found the right car stick with it and enjoy. The 997.2 engine is new...especially the cam drive parts... so there's bound to be some sort of issues crop up once they get some miles put on them. This one doesn't sound all that serious...

Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Leigh2
You have a long warranty period ahead of you so little to worry about if the engine problem persists. If you've found the right car stick with it and enjoy. The 997.2 engine is new...especially the cam drive parts... so there's bound to be some sort of issues crop up once they get some miles put on them. This one doesn't sound all that serious...
I agree completely with Leigh2; you found a car you like (can't fault you there, the 997.2 GT3 is fantastic) so stick with it and enjoy it. I had a similar experience when I purchased my 997.1 RS used. Small oil leak turned out not to be RMS but a small missing segment of gasket sealer on the head. The car was being CPO'd, so the shop dropped the engine, inspected everything while it was out, solved the oil leak as well as proactively replace/update parts including the RMS and FMS, put it back together and all is good. 1000 street miles and 1000 track miles later still no problems and frankly I don't worry about it. I enjoy the car and it runs like a raped ape.

Based on your comments you too will enjoy your GT3 for many miles to come.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by mxk116
I enjoy the car and it runs like a raped ape.

Based on your comments you too will enjoy your GT3 for many miles to come.
I don't know about sodomizing any simians, but I do plan on driving the car a bit when I get it back.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Got the car back from the dealer today (3 weeks later) after the actuator was replaced. Bummed about sloppy detailing job with water spots everywhere, a few new scratches, 210 miles of "drive cycles", and the faint smell of coolant on the engine (no leaks). Must have gotten outside of the engine housing during the 'replant'.

It seems Porsche factory quality control is not perfect. We found an unused 13mm nut inside the subframe rattling around that required some serious negotiations with a videoscope and magnets to retrieve.

It is running fine so far. A few new popping noises in the engine bay after turning it off. Fingers are crossed on the CEL.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
good luck! i can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have my car go right back in for repairs.....let alone a GT3!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by M3GT3RS
I agree. ^

Get a new one.
I agree!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
The dealer offered to detail the car. I appreciate that.

The car has been running fine since I got it back. It is without a doubt the best handling 911 I have ever driven. I can quickly forget about the grief of this repair by driving this sweet ride. It sounds great and feels like a pair of surgical gloves and fresh 10-blade scalpel on the road. Furthermore, it is as cush as the 997.1 turbo when the PASM is in normal mode. As many have said, the feeling of being balanced and planted surpasses the turbo cars by far. The suspension is terrific on the road.

It is the best roadgoing NA car Porsche has ever made.

As long as I never see any more fault codes I'll be quite happy.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
The more I drive it, the more I love it. This is such a fantastic car. It is the perfect amalgam of street comfort and luxury and track-handling and turn-in. I could ignore the 997.1 Turbo for a week at a time without flinching, despite wanting one for 4 years. I get cravings to drive this car all the time. It feels so right, sounds so good, and looks wicked.

I suppose it is the gateway drug to an RS, then a GT2RS. I doubt I'll ever want to get rid of this baby, though. She'll stay in the family.

Any 997TT folks who are NA-curious, take heed to the threads. The 997.2GT3 is a much more gratifying car for the street. A no-brainer for the track.

It is the car-equivalent of riding a carbon-fiber race bike. Precise, fast, light, yet compliant, shock-absorbing ride.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by neuroguru
The more I drive it, the more I love it. This is such a fantastic car. It is the perfect amalgam of street comfort and luxury and track-handling and turn-in. I could ignore the 997.1 Turbo for a week at a time without flinching, despite wanting one for 4 years. I get cravings to drive this car all the time. It feels so right, sounds so good, and looks wicked.

I suppose it is the gateway drug to an RS, then a GT2RS. I doubt I'll ever want to get rid of this baby, though. She'll stay in the family.

Any 997TT folks who are NA-curious, take heed to the threads. The 997.2GT3 is a much more gratifying car for the street. A no-brainer for the track.

It is the car-equivalent of riding a carbon-fiber race bike. Precise, fast, light, yet compliant, shock-absorbing ride.

I completely agree. Porsche really knocked this one out of the park. Love this car. I'll have to compare the car to my Merlin Extra Lite Ti race bike.

It's good to hear that you're pleased with it after the work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new GT3 gutted