GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Track days vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 AM
StreetSpeed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by buttons123
Whoa,

Just read Chuck's post quoting from the USA manual. That's harsh man.

Different Over here.
That's pretty heavy. I'd love to know why...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 AM
buttons123 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Jenson Button: Huh! Well that's a no-****ter! I wonder why they extend that courtesy to Europeans but not their American customers? And to your point, I've got no problem having to pay for parts and breakages if the car is modded. My GTI is chipped, running much higher boost than stock, and if and when the turbo blows, I have no intention of heading back to the dealer and playing dumb looking for a freebie. But when a car fails doing exactly what it was designed to do, I feel there was an inherent problem with a car, not a problem with the way it was being used.
I agree totally with that. It's exactly my point!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
i dont understand dealer reluctance to repair damages on warrantee. the manufacturer will reimburse the dealer for the work. if the dealer says it was track abuse, he doesnt get paid either. just turning away work so whats his motivation?

for ex, lets just say drivetrain damage from high rpm on track day, does porsche send rep to dealer to check it out? is this like prior approvals from health insurance?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM
StreetSpeed is infamous around these parts
Good question. Lemme ask my buddy who works at a good sized Porsche dealer. Of note, I did ask him about the whole debacle. This was his comment on the situation and how they handle claims:

"It is very much dealer dependant. As we are directly involved with the "Region Withheld for Anonymity" chapter of the PCA we are very leniant as far as track related incidents go. So long as there are maintenance records and proof the vehicle was kept up it is easy to get things warrantied through Porsche. Most track cars run into a problem of having no service records because they are often 'do it yourself' type of people and do not keep receipts of the oil bought and filters used, etc. Sometimes if they do, they use their 'own' brand of oil and filters which aren't the factory recommendation which will also cause a warranty claim to be denied. In the end, with Porsche, they stand behind their product so long as the client has stood behind the vehicle and has maintained it as recommended by Porsche. "Chevy Dealer Down the Street" is known to be good with warranty work, especially since opening their 'performance division', but would also need the same documentation in order to get GM to pay for the warranty claim. To quote a man much wiser than I, "it's not what you know, it's what you can prove."

Anyway, that was refreshing to hear.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 07-29-2010 at 03:43 PM.