Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 MK2 or 2006 Gallardo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM
997guardian is infamous around these parts
GT3 MK2 or 2006 Gallardo

This might be an odd comparison but I'm deciding between the two. I had my eyes set on a Gallardo for the past year but it looks like they have actually increased in price by about $8-15K for one with 15K miles or less. And to find a manual transmission is near impossible. I would be fine with Egear since it seems like the 2006's have fewer issues but a manual would be preferable. But the biggest issue is I can't really bring myself to pay more for a car I could have gotten for less last year.

Which is why now I am looking at the GT3 MK2's. When I first saw it reviewed in magazines I was blown away by the looks and how they increased the already great performance. But since I was set on a Gallardo, I didn't really think much about getting a GT3. Until now.

I currently have a 997 S and think I would miss the light and nimbleness of the Porsche on the road compared to a heavy AWD Gallardo. But I must admit part of the reason I want the Gallardo is the flash factor. Just too many 997's out here in Los Angeles!

But not GT3's. In fact, I have yet to see one on the road (haven't been going to many car meets lately). Anyway, I like the fact that the GT3 has amenities the Lambo would not such as full warranty, navigation (somewhat rare on the Lambo), and a good amount of alcantra in the interior. The performance, sound, and handling are givens. I also like the fact I can almost daily drive the GT3 whereas I'd have to be careful where I drive the Gallardo (I drive through all parts of L.A. frequently including shady areas). I would also need a 3rd car if I got the Gallardo (married).
Plus, maintenance issues and costs are a concern on the older Gallardo. My 997 S has been flawless and I would look forward to racking up miles on the GT3 without much regard compared to if I got a Lambo.
Anyway, sorry for the long post but any thoughts would be appreciated as I make this decision.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:34 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
I too was looking at a 06-07 Gallardo but it was prity much impossible to find a 6speed. I then found a slightly used 2010 gt3 and took it for a ride and my decision was made.
Get the GT3 you will be blown away. The car is simply AMAZING.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Even though there are few GT3s, most folks can't tell the difference between a 993 v 996 v 997, much less the finer distinction between models in a line. If you want flash, get the Lambo.

If you thnk you can't drive the Lambo like your 997, read the article about the guy that sold all his stuff and drove his Lambo almost 100,000 miles. It can be done!

-td

Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
I would take a GT3 over a Gallardo, now if it was the LP 560 that would be another story.

I live in LA as well and have only seen 4 or 5 997.2 GT3's. same with 997.1 and only 1 996 gt3.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
I too would choose the GT3 over the lambo.
The maintenance alone is a good enough reason.
On the flip side, the GT3 will most likely depreciate more being a newer car...

Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Coreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really nice
GT3 for sure.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM
007AMV8 has a spectacular aura about007AMV8 has a spectacular aura about
Lambo!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
ir_fuel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
If you thnk you can't drive the Lambo like your 997, read the article about the guy that sold all his stuff and drove his Lambo almost 100,000 miles. It can be done!

-td
Did you also read the part where it states that he now is the proud owner of a Lambo with a broken down engine and no money to repair it?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
masmole is infamous around these parts
Depends what you're doing with it. If you're planning on tracking, go GT3. If not and it will remain strictly a street car, Lambo.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Did you also read the part where it states that he now is the proud owner of a Lambo with a broken down engine and no money to repair it?
Of course, but it's not really relevant to this analysis though. OP was asking about flash. The 100K point was anecdotal regarding actuallyt driving a Lambo. It lasted almost 100K - not almost 10K. Besides, I doubt the OP is in the same position as guy in the article - i.e., selling everything you own, having little other money, and then killing your car...

-td

Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Number54 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by masmole
Depends what you're doing with it. If you're planning on tracking, go GT3. If not and it will remain strictly a street car, Lambo.
^ This. Except I'd still do a track day or 2 per year with the Lambo I mean, how could you not?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
The headroom in a Gallardo is pretty limited. If you are 6 feet or over, you probably won't be able to sit comfortably (or safely) with a helmet if you plan to take it to the track. You ought to sit in one to know for sure.

A friend of mine has a Gallardo and they sure are fast in a straight line. We did a DE event together last week, but he didn't push it too hard, so I was a lot faster in the corners, and I'm still a relative newcomer to the track.

Still, the Lambo is a stunning looking car that attracts a lot of attention everywhere it goes. I'm not sure I would want that kind of attention, but that's just me.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
just wondering, does the lambo come with complimentary gold chains and earrings?

sorry, but that is my take on the lambo crowd i have seen. weekend garage queens vs a truly stout performance car like the gt3 or any porsche.

i too look, but would never touch.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM
brim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura about
Lambo for flash factor, definitely. If you want something with porsche performance characteristics and track work, the GT3 is your car. I thought about the same thing and seriously considered a 2008 Superleggera, but in the end the 7.2 GT3 and another more suitable family car won my heart over one beast of a machine.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Chewy is infamous around these parts
Lambo for the eye candy win, but the GT3 for performance practicality. Both are great cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 MK2 or 2006 Gallardo