Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Differences in GT3 vs GT3 RS Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Differences in GT3 vs GT3 RS Engine

What differences are there between these two motors, what accounts for the 15 hp gain in the RS but identical torque to the GT3? I know the RS has 12.2:1 compression versus "only" 12:1 in the GT3; anything else? With torque being the same, can you really feel the difference in power?

Is there any good way to improve power and torque in these engines without tearing them apart and rebuilding them; ecu flashes make only a small difference as compared to the differences a flash in the turbo models?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
RizOne is infamous around these parts
The intake might be different, the exhaust is titanium in the RS. The main difference as far as engine feel is the single mass flywheel and the shorter gearing in the RS.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:15 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
The RS intake manifold/plenum is different......I believe that is where a majority of the difference came from as I have read for
the HP/TQ differences in the engine itself. Looking at the doc, it looks as-if they altered the -13% by just a different final ratio
change and altered 6th gear alone. (Not sure on that one)

Last edited by KaamaCat; 09-17-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
cyruz is infamous around these parts
how much of a job is it to change the 3 flywheel to the 3rs set up? with parts and labor does it even become worth it for the 15 hp?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cyruz
how much of a job is it to change the 3 flywheel to the 3rs set up? with parts and labor does it even become worth it for the 15 hp?
^to my knowledge the flywheel doesnt add any power, just lets the engine Rev quicker.

You could get the RS intake with matching decklid(has 2 scoop intake and a bigger scoop on the decklid) , but it does seem the extra power mainly comes from the higher compression ratio.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
eurotrashdtm is infamous around these parts
I don't think the intake manifold is different, rather just the intake. I think that's where the delta comes from. A light weight flywheel will give you a few ponies if measured on a chassis dyno (measured @ the wheels). Technically the motor isn't making any more power, but you are reducing the drivetrain loss by a small factor. I think the .2 GT3 all have the .1 RS light weight crank pulley so no difference there.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
if you are talking about the .2 gt3's

intake
exhaust
gearing is shorter on the RS, more like the cup cars

Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 PM
cyruz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm
I don't think the intake manifold is different, rather just the intake. I think that's where the delta comes from. A light weight flywheel will give you a few ponies if measured on a chassis dyno (measured @ the wheels). Technically the motor isn't making any more power, but you are reducing the drivetrain loss by a small factor. I think the .2 GT3 all have the .1 RS light weight crank pulley so no difference there.
yea i know it wont get you the 15 hp, was typing the post and got side tracked and didnt realize what i posted. it will get you less spun wieght and maybe a few hp to the wheels ( freed up due to the less mass to be spun ) but how much faster are you going to be able to rev and will it make much a difference with out the gearing changes?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM
RizOne is infamous around these parts
How did they raise the compression ratio? Are the pistons different?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I may be incorrect, but I do not believe that altering the flywheel weight affects measured power output. Nor does altering gear ratios.
The simplest way to look at the former is to imagine an infinitely light flywheel. Would the power climb proportionately, approaching infinity? Probably not. Moreover, if power was so sensitive to rotating mass (including flywheel), car companies would be doing a lot more than the occasional titanium connecting rods to lighten mass.
Re the gear ratios, I believe that dynos are not affected by such changes though ensuring that the car remains in the center of it's powerband contributes to a good 'run'.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
That may be true, but a light flywheel should allow you to spin up a chassis dyno roller more quickly due to less mass to move, which would result in higher measurable horsepower than the same car with a heavier flywheel. Unless I'm missing something of course.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
Probably a thinner head gasket. The displacement remains the same.

Last edited by Salespunk; 09-17-2010 at 11:18 PM.