Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

porsche warranty\ trackday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Hayden94 is infamous around these parts
porsche warranty\ trackday

I recently did a trackday in my 2010 GT3RS and had a mechanical problem. Basically after 1 session the car had to be flatbedded back to the dealership and since it was at a track, porsche road side assistance was not going to help.Once back at the dealership and apart they said the car was not covered due to track usage. Someone in marketing needs to clue porsche in on that they sale it as "a track car for the street".Read your owners manual carefully and its in there.Has anyone else had a warranty problem while doing a trackday ??

Last edited by Hayden94; 10-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
What was the mechanical problem?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
The pressure plate blew apart. The clutch disc was fine.

Last edited by Hayden94; 10-12-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear that...

Found this under warranty exclusions....
  • Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks,even more intriging when you watch their own promo for the car. I don't understand why all road cars don't come equipped with michelin pilot sport CUP tires.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
If its the same dealer you bought it from.... talk to the sales manager and explain this to him.

If it does not work out, then go find another dealer for your services and next pcar purchase.

Try taking it to Brumo's or Champion

Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
NEVER call porsche roadside assistance when you have a breakdown at the track. they will not cover the tow. call AAA instead. remove car# sticker and tell porsche dealer your car broke down on public road.

i had a breakdown at the track once (serpentine belt all chewed up) and porsche roadside would not cover the tow so i ended up paying for the tow. fortunately the dealer was all cool about covering the repair under warranty. it helps to have a track-friendly service manager. even got a free loaner while work was being done for a day.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
they should cover it.
talk to them about good will.
however, they may argue that pp blowing up is commonly caused by missed down shifts. unless you can prove otherwise... not saying you did it, but telling you what they would use to speak against you.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 AM
ErikG is infamous around these parts
I learned that lesson the hard way too. AAA to the rescue. I was pissed when they said that they could not pick me up since I was at the track. I had the coolant fittings blow, not something really track related unless it's the heat that causes it.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 AM
StreetSpeed is infamous around these parts
I brought this up a few months ago after my dad's engine blew in his 08 Corvette with 15,000 miles at Watkins Glen. He brought it to some po-dunk dealer in Watkins Glen who quickly blew the whistle on him with GM. By the time he got out there with a flat bed to bring it back to HIS dealer in Albany it was too late, and he needed to shell out $14,000 for a new engine (which he just rolled into the price of a 2011 Grandsport). The Albany dealer said if he had brought it there first he would have had no problems. It's a bit ridiculous to me, since right in their promo DVD they say (paraphrasing) "The Corvette is the only car you can bring to the track on Sunday, probably win your class if you're a good driver, and drive to work on Monday." No where is there an asterisks that says "By the way, if you do that your warranty is void."

So, it's a touchy subject, which boils down to your relationship with your dealer, the kind of damage it has, and what they can or cannot prove. On the flip side I just spoke with a guy who brought his R8 to the dealer with thousands of mostly track miles on it, and had the R Tronic replaced to the tune of $20,000 fully covered. That was a heart warming story for sure after my dad's debacle.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM
gt34me is infamous around these parts
How did the dealer know the car had been tracked if Porsche roadside did not pickup the vehicle, just curious? I had an issue once and had AAA tow vehicle to residence and then called Porsche and had them pickup from residence and advised car died on the way home...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
I had the car tech'd prior to the event, as required.The dealership said have a good time "wink wink". I had the car picked up at the hotel next to the track. Problem is its a new dealership to me and I 'm not sure the service manager is track friendly. I've been a pca instructor and raced professional for 15 years.Just saying its not my 1st track day.I agree I think a good relationship would help. WARNING : read your manuals, engine break-in for 2000 miles not above 4200 rpm and tracks days are not covered "wink wink".

Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
gt34me is infamous around these parts
Dealers are just that, I guess time to tech somewhere else....

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I'm quite surprised to read any of this. Hayden, sorry about your experience. That all sounds kind'a messed up.

Usually, a dealership who is OK with tech'ing a car for track use, is somewhat familiar with track use. This sounds like shoddy salesmanship.

Like gt34me said - "dealers are just that."

I'd expect this from salesmen - not from a service dept.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hayden94
The pressure plate blew apart. The clutch disc was fine.
are you asserting that there was/is a defect in the pressure plate and it simply failed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: porsche warranty\ trackday