Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 TTS to 997.2 GT3 ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
996 TTS to 997.2 GT3 ???

I've read tons of threads from people asking whether they should buy a Turbo or a GT3. In fact, I was probably the author of one a few years ago. At the time, I test drove a 996 GT3 and a 996 TTS. Loved both. But I made the decision to go with the comfort and amenities of the TTS for daily driving. And I absolutely LOVE the car. It's kind of ridiculous. The thing is bullet-proof reliable, and extremely quick. SharkWerks added PSS9s, so the handling is awesome -- and a chip, so it's even quicker. The car is just perfect and makes my daily commute something that I look forward to.

But I'm 45 and not getting any younger. If I ever want to experience a GT3, I figure now is the time to do it. I think I understand the car's strengths, but I'm worried that the lack of torque (as compared to the TTS) will disappoint me, and perhaps the suspension might be too jarring on my aging spine (but maybe not since I'm on PSS9s now, though my settings are slightly to the softer side). I'm drunk on the torque of the TTS and I'm worried about regretting a decision to live in a GT3.

Has anyone made a similar move from a 996TT to a 997GT3.2? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
If you love the torque you may be disappointed. GT3 motor needs to be revved to produce power whereas it exists at 1500 RPM in the Turbo cars.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
For me personally, high revs are a fine substitute for torque, nothing like ringing a car out to almost 9k rpm. However I would never buy a gt3 just to drive on the street. For a street car the turbo wins imo. If you do track, the revs and feel should far make up for the lack of torque and be more fun in the turns. The only negative about the gt3 imo is that you can't do much to improve it, power, even throwing a bunch of money at he suspension won't gain you much. I like customization, and I'm not talking about seats and shifters.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Looney is infamous around these parts
i find this a funny thing,

my best mate has a 996TT, and i have a 996 GT3 (all be it with 4:11's in it)

and he is always blown away by how instant and constant the power is in the GT3 vs his Turbo (also chipped over 500bhp).

we went down the quarter mile and he was 2 10ths quicker than me, but he was always lagging behind at the 1/8th mile, and only began to to reel me in and get the legs on me after this time (say 100+mph), as for launch and speed at useable speeds my GT3 absolutely kills his his turbo. (he has made me promise to give him first offer at my car if i ever sell it now)

i can only presume that the 997.2 would be even more powerful and have more low down and instant torque and power?

but this is just my experience.

Last edited by Looney; 10-15-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Looney, I hear you. When I test drove the 996 GT3, I felt it was more fun and exhilarating than the TT. But I made the decision at the time that I wanted something comfortable for daily driving, so I went with the TTS. Variety is the spice of life, so a big part of me doesn't want to die without having "cared for" a GT3 (and a GT2 for that matter). It's a big decision though, as I will likely keep the next car for three years or so.

I say "cared for" because I feel like I don't really "own" my car. I feel like the universe has lent it to me, that it's a privilege to drive it, and that I'll eventually pass it along to another loving stable groom.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
997 itself is already a huge improvement over the 996

Old 10-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Looney is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ELMEL
Looney, I hear you. When I test drove the 996 GT3, I felt it was more fun and exhilarating than the TT. But I made the decision at the time that I wanted something comfortable for daily driving, so I went with the TTS. Variety is the spice of life, so a big part of me doesn't want to die without having "cared for" a GT3 (and a GT2 for that matter). It's a big decision though, as I will likely keep the next car for three years or so.

I say "cared for" because I feel like I don't really "own" my car. I feel like the universe has lent it to me, that it's a privilege to drive it, and that I'll eventually pass it along to another loving stable groom.

from my limited knowledge of the 997 GT3, i believe it is more 'refined' and less 'raw' than a 996 GT3, so perhaps it may be the perfect middle ground for you ?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
I am lucky enough to have both a 996tt cab (chip and pss10s) and a 997.2 GT3. They are completely different cars, I Love them both. But im gonna have to go with the gt3 on being the better car, its 6 years newer also. In Gt3 the sound is soo exhilarating, reving it up to 8500 rpms is just worth it alone. Id say go for the gt3, you only live once!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by ZBOSS
you only live once!
It would be pretty ironic if I died in it.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:00 AM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
have you done any runs in your 996tt? 1/4 mile or 60-130? The 996 may have the torque but with only a chip it is probably slower than the GT3 or maybe equal to it.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:26 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Nice post ELMEL. Funny thing, I just sold my turbo S last week... it's gone!

so we're in the same boat, because I'm thinking about getting a 2010 997.2 GT3 as well...

Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
have you done any runs in your 996tt? 1/4 mile or 60-130? The 996 may have the torque but with only a chip it is probably slower than the GT3 or maybe equal to it.
Mine is a TTS. With the chip, I've probably got about 480 lb-ft of torque. But I realize the 997GT3, while significantly less torquey, might feel equivalent. I'm gonna go drive it today. That should tell me everything I need to know.

Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Nice post ELMEL. Funny thing, I just sold my turbo S last week... it's gone!

so we're in the same boat, because I'm thinking about getting a 2010 997.2 GT3 as well...
Hey Aaron. It's been a long time. Hope you are well.

What made you sell the TTS?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'm gonna go drive it today. That should tell me everything I need to know.
Perfect statement It either bites you or it doesn't... I don't necessarily miss the big tq/power etc... from the turbo motors myself and enjoy the responsiveness of the gt3 motor instead

Old 10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Everything is great, thanks. I really enjoyed the Turbo S but after a few years I wouldn't mind something a little sharper all around: no more assisted clutch, better throttle response etc. Also, I've been dying for the new tech. TPMS, BT, touchscreen NAV, IPOD etc. With the CPO warranty expiring soon it was just time...

I kinda figure the GT3 has less to go wrong on it as well, no sunroof, moving spoilers, assisted clutches, turbos and all the other things that tend to go wrong on a turbo.

Hey Aaron. It's been a long time. Hope you are well.

What made you sell the TTS?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
GT3 handling + turbo power = 996 GT2.
+ you will be saving a lot of money compared to a 997.2 GT3...

But the interior in the 997.2 will be in a different league.
Another option for you is to raise the budget a bit and look for a 997 GT2.
There is one for sale in the classifieds for 120k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TTS to 997.2 GT3 ???