Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Should I Pull the Trigger on a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:59 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I wouldn't wait for the 997 GT3, it's gonna have the m96/7 engine, ie 3.8L tuned to 380hp, better off with the 996 GT3 with a decent motor.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
I agree with Ben & cnc. If you've got the DE bug, get the car that was designed from the factory for that use. You can mod the TT a lot and you may never get it to the same dialed-in level as the GT3. The GT3 is that good.

I was in your shoes last year. Started doing more DE's and knew that I had to make lots of changes to my 996 (not a TT though) to get it to where I wanted it. It would have been a lot of money down the drain and it still wouldn't be anything near a GT3. So, I made the switch. Best decision I ever made, couldn't be happier.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good deal worked out to get the GT3. Get the dealer to throw in some GT3 seats (the Sport Seats suck on track) and close the deal. You'll love it.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:47 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by MWM
Good stuff from everyone; thanks! Here's the thing: I've had the car for 3 years so I really know how to toss it around and I had a great instructor (John Goodyear from FL). Left PSM on and I certainly feel I was overdriving the car at times, that is, thrashing it beyond what was necessary to get better lap times instead of "finessing it."

However, my brakes were way hot (needed cooling) and I was using the outer 1" of the tires through most hot turns because the car is too high and is aligned at zero camber up front (but even the rears, at -1.6 I believe, were suffering similarly in turns once I got a good "stick" and was throttle-to-the-carpet through the apex -- as John was telling me, if you're not at full throttle or near it at the apex, you came in too hot).

Now, I studied Mech. E in school. And I avoid doing anything "half-assed." I'll do it right or not bother at all. After seeing KPV's thoughts on Motons (how cool is he for sharing all that in gruesome detail?!), I pretty much feel that there's not another solution for a mostly tracked, sometimes streeted 996TT wearing slicks. So to me it's a minimum $10k pricetag to sort the brakes and suspension on my car -- and although some of y'all don't care about such things, most of that money I'll never see again when I do trade cars and that concept has never sat well with me financially if there's an off-the-rack car that has most of what you're looking for.

So maybe that's my next question: would the Moton'd and properly-braked 996TT be as good or better than a stock GT3 around tight and technical tracks, like Barber? It's 10min from my house; given how much I enjoyed my first outing, I could see myself there 5 or 6 weekends a year minimally.

Well I retract most of my comment because as a frist time DE driver you seem to posses more knowledge than any student I have ever had the pleasure of teaching. If you are already worrying about brake cooling and motons, then go for the GT3. You know what though, please think safety before suspension and all the goodies(i know this sounds cheesy but I saw too many mishaps last season). I saw a couple accidents last season that if it was not for the right safety precuations could have led to big time problems. Get yourself a HANS device if you are tracking frequently(i just got one), if you plan on tracking more often get a cage of some sort(Gt3s as i understand come with the techquiptment option of a roll bar but if you get very serious a proper cage might need to go into effect). Anyways whatever way you end up going, have fun and keep the shiney side up Keep us posted bro

Old 03-08-2005, 11:02 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by cnc
I loved my TT until I did a DE, and like you I felt it was a pig.

Went to look for a Boxster as a DE car and came home with a GT2. I really enjoy this car.

Then I bought a GT3 for my wife to replace her X51

For cruising, everyday use or inclement weather the TT rules, but for driving and involvement..the GT series satisfies.

The 997 GT3 is an unknown, and they may go away from the 3.6 block, but the technology always improves and the next Porsche is always the best one.

Only you can decide if a bird in the hand (996 GT3) is worth one in the bush (997 GT3, if it comes to the US). For me, I put my money where my mouth (keyboard) is, but if the 997 GT3 is better..well!
I now drive his wifes car... if that says anything for me....

Old 03-09-2005, 12:52 AM
raygr is infamous around these parts
I went through a similar decision process last year with my TT. The first few times on the track, the TT seemed kind of numb, and piggish. However, you would be surprised what a good track alignment can do. I had a local race shop add a PSS9 system on my car, lowered it (but not as much as a GT2), and it handles pretty damn well now - and it rides nice on the street too.

The TT is not going to be better than a GT3 at the track without some help. You also have the boost to manage on the track. But, the TT can be competitive, and you can enjoy supercar performance on the street with it.

If the "Turbo" charisma doesn't grab you anymore, then I would go for the GT3. Simply put, a rear-drive 911 is a lot of fun on a track, more so than AWD.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
You need both. Keep your TT, get PSS9's and flash it. And get the GT3. One is not a replacement for the other.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
SkyclsGT3 is infamous around these parts
Hey folks, new bee here.. I have purchased 2004 GT3 recently and found your playground here. Glad to see you folks talking about lots of interesting and curious things... willing to become a part of this com.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by SkyclsGT3
Hey folks, new bee here.. I have purchased 2004 GT3 recently and found your playground here. Glad to see you folks talking about lots of interesting and curious things... willing to become a part of this com.
Welcome and congrats for aquiring an awesome Porsche!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
SkyclsGT3 is infamous around these parts
Thanks, rockit. Looks like you got a GT3 as well with quite a mod list.. thinking about fixing it a little.. I just placed an order for a kreissieg unit and thinking about getting some light wheels.. any recommendations?

Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
GT3 is a track star... 996T is a GT. I love my 996T. It's a rocket for the streets, and has all the luxuries covered. For the track, while fun, it relies more on sheer grip and power than momentum and finess.

Track stars like the GT3 feels hardwired to the driver, yielding rewarding feedback to driver-input. I had a more rewarding experience in my S2000 than Turbo. The S2000 challenges me and makes me feel like Schuey. It's kinda like a scaple vs. sledge-hammer analogy. Both the Turbo and GT3 are awesome and I definitely would love to have both!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:30 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
If you do mostly street driving the Turbo is a better car. If you are thinking of modifying it with Moton's etc... save your money, buy GT3, wear it out stock and then begin the process of upgrading parts (safety equip. first of course). Both are great cars but the GT3 is hands down the best car to do both in.

I had a TT, did the Ruf Rturbo, suspesion etc... Found it much better handling, much faster, but still way too heavy for any real track work. I also found once I did all the mods I rarely drove it on the street, where I was driving it everyday before.

I sold it and got a GT2 which I really enjoy. I also have a Cup car. If I only had one car I would have a GT3.

Go for it, especially a 2005 with a trade, you will not regret it.

JCM

Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
'GT3 is a track star... 996T is a GT. I love my 996T. It's a rocket for the streets, and has all the luxuries covered. For the track, while fun, it relies more on sheer grip and power than momentum and finesse.'- StephenTi

'I had a TT, did the Ruf Rturbo, suspesion etc... Found it much better handling, much faster, but still way too heavy for any real track work. I also found once I did all the mods I rarely drove it on the street, where I was driving it everyday before.'- supercup

so true, so true...

Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Paul GT3 status update?

Old 03-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Marc996Miami
Paul GT3 status update?
Hi Marc; I supplied the ammo, the dealer pulled the trigger, but not a done deal yet, will let you know buddy!

Old 03-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Originally posted by Paul S
Hi Marc; I supplied the ammo, the dealer pulled the trigger, but not a done deal yet, will let you know buddy!
ya gotta know whats up....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I Pull the Trigger on a GT3?