Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rennline solid engine mount review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Did he post the driving impressions in another thread?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 AM
rbt
rbt has a spectacular aura aboutrbt has a spectacular aura about
I installed the Rennline soild mounts on my 996 GT3 mk1 6 months ago, and it didn't increase the noise level in the car at all. These cars are a bit noisy already, and I think that the "lack of comfort" and less sound deadning compared to a Carrera is the reason that I didn't experience more noise in my car.
Actually I would say that all in all the noise level went down a little bit. I have a complete sports exhaust on the car, and after installing the engine mounts I would say that the "droning/vibrations" type noise that comes from exhaust and other parts that can move/resonate/vibrate etc has gone slightly down, while it is clearly easier to hear mechanical movement from within the engine at low speeds now. But these engine sounds are not louder, just different, so for me it was actually an improvment.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Pb8
Pb8 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the input. I would have thought noise and vibe would be increased quite a bit. Guess not.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
I saw them in person for the first time just the otherday, Seem like a must have item.

After trying to move the engine with hand on stock then with wevo mounts it was like night and day difference

Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree, I have a set going into my car soon

Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Id love to try some trans mounts~clutchless shifting

Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I have had them on for quite some time now. About 8 months. I would say I love them. Overall precision of the chassis dynamics going , mid and coming out of a turn have improved drastically. I already had KW clubsports, and i felt something was missing. This made the car feel like a true sports car. Prior to that it still felt GT imo. The car is extremely composed if you are driving 1/10th or 10/10th it make it look and feel simple. you know where the butt of the car is going and you can control it much easier with weight transfer and throttle response, has improved drastically. the throttle input feels connected to the car. One of my favorite mods to my car, out of the long list of them.

Regards,

E

Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I've had them for about 4 months on my 996 C2. See my initial write up below...

Recently one of my ebay "Turbo" motor mounts suffered a failure after only about 8 months. This comes on the heals of my stock mounts developing a leak thus needing replacement. This time I decided to go hardcore and installed Rennline solid mounts. The car has JIC 7/10 coilovers, GT3 sway bars, harness bar, front strut bar, 19 wheels with low profile tires...it's about as extreme ride-wise as you want for a street car. I was aware of the potential Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) issues associated with solid mounts but went ahead anyway. After doing the install which is pretty easy, I took it out today for the first time. As expected, the Rennline's take the game up another couple levels in firmness...in other words the car now feels like a solid piece of granite on wheels. The good news is gear shifts are improved and very precise and the car stays more solid on quick left/right maneuvers. The not so good news is I now need to consult with my suspension guru because the rear end is not as willing to rotate in the corners.

As for NVH

Noise - You will get more noise from any loose nut/bolt (for me something under the dash and in an B pillar). More pronounced noise between 3-4k RPM. Not really a big deal and I drive with the windows down/tunes up as weather permits so noise won't be much of a factor. I seem to get a more engine noise into the cabin which I consider a good thing.

Vibration - Here is the negative which I would expect would be the deal breaker for most. Because of the firmness you get much more engine and road feel (vibration) through the steering wheel....will see if I can get used to this with more seat time or not. Perhaps a padded steering wheel and a nice set of driving gloves may be in order

Harshness - Here's a pleasant surprise; harshness is really not bad and in fact because of the firmness the car seems to glide over rough spots/expansion joints somewhat smoother.

Bottom line
I can see how this would not be for most and especially a daily driver. For me this is a not, so I'll keep this setup (for now) and see how it goes. For track junkies, I would expect this to be high on their list.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
great read, thanks for posting insight. I think this is a must have, i cant wait to hit the track 2012