Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy

Don't be stupid... Pzeros + snow = death

ATTN: Forum Moderator

I recommend this comment for it's own sticky for 911 IN THE SNOW.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 AM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
just put on a set of pirellie scottozero series 2 for winter. i did not want to invest in a set of 18 inch wheels since i lease. the 19s run perfect. all set now for snow.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:38 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
My recommendation is to lower your collision deductible to $100 and to raise your liability coverage as high as you can. You will need it when you cause a wreck.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
My car is not my DD and can pick and choose when I drive, so I don't change out the tires. I don't put it away because there are plenty of beautiful winter days to drive. Just take the turns easy

Anyway, a few years ago I brought the car in to have some work done and it took longer than I thought. On the way home got stuck in some freezing snow/rain and it was brutal. I remember I was STOPPED at a red light and the car started moving sideways while I was stopped Not fun at all.

Like stated earlier, KNOWINGLY driving these cars in the snow with summer tires is insane.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Message rec'd

Originally Posted by E55AMG
My car is not my DD and can pick and choose when I drive, so I don't change out the tires. I don't put it away because there are plenty of beautiful winter days to drive. Just take the turns easy

Anyway, a few years ago I brought the car in to have some work done and it took longer than I thought. On the way home got stuck in some freezing snow/rain and it was brutal. I remember I was STOPPED at a red light and the car started moving sideways while I was stopped Not fun at all.

Like stated earlier, KNOWINGLY driving these cars in the snow with summer tires is insane.
We took everyone's advice and drove the AWD car, and we're glad we did,
We saw a bad wreck on I-81 north of Harrisburg and the slushy roads were partially to blame.
Mr. B

Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear you had a safe trip. Welcome back.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Thx

Originally Posted by Wayne K
Glad to hear you had a safe trip. Welcome back.

Thanks!
Mr. B

Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Leigh2 is infamous around these parts
Late to post...
I had to drive my 6GT3 about 10 miles in the snow to get it loaded on a transport to go south for a track event. It was horrifying...no traction at all with the PS2's. I got stuck trying to go over a small 3" hump of snow left by a plow on our subdivision road and had to flag down a couple of guys to help push....here it is at the shop it was a relief to arrive safely!

Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Late to post...
I had to drive my 6GT3 about 10 miles in the snow to get it loaded on a transport to go south for a track event. It was horrifying...no traction at all with the PS2's. I got stuck trying to go over a small 3" hump of snow left by a plow on our subdivision road and had to flag down a couple of guys to help push....here it is at the shop it was a relief to arrive safely!

Then it's a good thing that I have a 328xi and a 4x4 Tahoe.
BUT, how do these vehicles do in rain???
Mr. B

Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
pcar and rain (or snow)

As much as I love the gt3 I needed the the awd of the 4s simply because of 'weather'. Rain can be just as big a pita. The tire selection can help with the wet handling of a rear drive pcar. On my trip last week I did find snow, ice and very cold asphalt and I still enjoyed the ride at very high speeds (where appropriate). The latest awd on the '09 fours is remarkable in comparison to the '07 version.

18" Pilot Alpin 295's in the rear is a great way to go. Many owners find that on the rwd cars a set of snows is all they need to still safely travel during the winter. While in St. Anton in '03 my lust for pcars was cemented; I was shocked how many pcars I saw with ski racks (winter rubber though). My wife thought I was nuts reviewing the tires !

Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Tires

Originally Posted by LPpfs997
As much as I love the gt3 I needed the the awd of the 4s simply because of 'weather'. Rain can be just as big a pita. The tire selection can help with the wet handling of a rear drive pcar. On my trip last week I did find snow, ice and very cold asphalt and I still enjoyed the ride at very high speeds (where appropriate). The latest awd on the '09 fours is remarkable in comparison to the '07 version.
18" Pilot Alpin 295's in the rear is a great way to go. Many owners find that on the rwd cars a set of snows is all they need to still safely travel during the winter. While in St. Anton in '03 my lust for pcars was cemented; I was shocked how many pcars I saw with ski racks (winter rubber though). My wife thought I was nuts reviewing the tires !
I had a 2006 C2S on Michelin PS2's and it did fine in the rain. Never drove it in snow though. The GT3 came with Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's and, from what I read, they don't seem to be too popular with GT3 owners. Anyway, it's clear from this thread that driving in snow is to be avoided. I was wondering about rain though.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Mr. B

Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
Driving in the rain.

I try to avoid driving in the rain but I got caught in heavy rain for about an hour of highway driving and did not have any problems with Pilot Sports. I can't speak regarding tracking in the rain.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Rain

Originally Posted by Wayne K
I try to avoid driving in the rain but I got caught in heavy rain for about an hour of highway driving and did not have any problems with Pilot Sports. I can't speak regarding tracking in the rain.
I have lots of experience with Pilot Sports. I'm curious how the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's do in the rain--not on the track, but on the streets and highways.
Mr. B

Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Davidham is infamous around these parts
Ooohhh I hate to see that nice car in wad! It's the "other" guy I worry about.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Leigh2 is infamous around these parts
I used PS2s for rain tires and the car is pretty skittish in the wet especially if the tread depth isn't deep enough. On the highway I found ruts to be a bigger issue that rain but that's with track camber settings. I think as long as you have the right tire the 2WD cars are just fine in the wet.

Attached Images