Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why did I drive a GT3???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM
VUCommodores is infamous around these parts
I've had the new car itch for a while now and decided last night to f it and
go GT3. It's what I've always had my heart set on but I'n afraid once I drive it the obsession will grow even more. Initially I was thinking of something cheaper so I could also keep the Cayman but the more I think about it I'd rather just have the GT3 than an extra car I settled for.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Don't be "afraid the obsession will grow even more" for one second. It is a GIVEN. Ask anyone who owns one.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DMac225
I made the "mistake" of driving a GT3 recently! I am a proud owner of an 2008 Targa C4S, but I had never driven the GT3, now I dont know if I will ever be happy with my 4S again!
I was blown away with the throttle response and the total setup of the car! I can't imagine how people can grow tired of driving the GT3 daily due to the stiffer setup, dicey traction in the rain, etc....I am in LOVE!!!
Now I have to decide if I am going to keep my car or start looking for a GT3. To everyone with a GT3, I am very jealous!!! Enjoy them for what they are: a total beast of a "drivers" car!
All the best!
DMac
I'd been an SCCA racer and a track Instructor for many years. In 2007 I owned and tracked an e46 M3. One day, at the track, a fellow Instructor tossed me the keys to his 2004 GT3. I took it out on the track and was blown away. I put my M3 up for sale on Craig's List the next day. It took a while before someone bought it, but as soon as it sold I bought a 2006 C2S, and that was a really great car--much better on the track and on the street than the M3. Then in the summer of 2010 I was at the track when that same Instructor tossed me the keys to his newer GT3. He replaced his 2004 GT3 with a 2007 model. After that drive I traded my C2S for the GT3 I now own, and can't wait to track.
Mr. B

Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM
VUCommodores is infamous around these parts
I'm going to go drive one for the first time sometime in the next two weeks. I can't wait.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by VUCommodores
I'm going to go drive one for the first time sometime in the next two weeks. I can't wait.

The GT3 is an awesome car, but it's not for everyone. It's a track car right out of the box; no mods needed. But on the street, it's a rough ride, the brakes are noisy, and in rush hour, you'll wish you took a car with an automatic. But, when you're on the highway, you'll love it.
Mr. B

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Had a 997 turbo, C4S cab, C2S and now a .2 GT3. It is by far my favorite car. Far more personality than the turbo. The clutch doesn't feel heavy to me at all, never has. The rest of the bunch felt too soft, especially the turbo. The .2's ride is not harsh at all. It is AMAZING what Porsche did with the .2's suspension tuning. Super Glued to the road while still being compliant in normal mode. The .2's are improved in so many ways (imo) it's like Porsche introduced a new model.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
flexcrac is infamous around these parts
I also don't consider the ride to be too harsh or the clutch too heavy. It all depends on your expectations and what you are used to. I had a 2002 Lotus Esprit that the ride and clutch were MUCH more difficult. I drove the GT3 and thought I was driving a BMW on rails. Also agree that the TT clutch was too soft along with the ride.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
It's total addiction. I have an 07 RS and just got a 2010 cup for track. Now I want to get rid of my '11 M3 and '07 RS and get a '10-11 GT3 for daily (with luxury options). Is there a cure for this insanity?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Just be glad you didn't drive a new GT3RS.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
It's total addiction. I have an 07 RS and just got a 2010 cup for track. Now I want to get rid of my '11 M3 and '07 RS and get a '10-11 GT3 for daily (with luxury options). Is there a cure for this insanity?
Were you on Coast Hwy yesterday around 430?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
This is exactly why I will not drive and refuse any rides offered to me in a gt3 until I am ready to buy. I'm happy with my TT for not but I know I'll be itching for a gt3 sooner then wife will be happy with. She doesn't understand, but when she takes the car to work she always comes back with a smile and tells me how her coworkers and bosses ask about the Porsche she drove in

Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I completely agree. Even without driving one, the RS is calling my name louder and louder. It just seems to be the essence of what a modern porsche can be. NA, big power, amazing revs, killer brakes, the same viz and sight lines as the original 911. And on and on. I was picking up a small trim part at my local dealer and they had a pre-owned one with very low miles, white with red lipstick. I didn't dare look to check out the option list but I have this sinking feeling of inevitability...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I'm hoping I can get into one by end of 2011 ....don't tell the wife

Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Were you on Coast Hwy yesterday around 430?
sure was. doing a quick drive to keep the fluids moving in the RS. I do a little loop out north Laguna, through CDM/Newport and back to Laguna. Did you see me? what a small world!

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 01-02-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
Yes, I took my wife out for a ride in the convertible and drove up from SD. Your car looked and sounded fantastic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did I drive a GT3???