Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Clear bra - yellowing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Damage is infamous around these parts
Clear bra - yellowing?

I wasn't sure which forum to put this post in, but since I've seen Premiere post their work here sometimes, I could drop this here for now.

I had Premiere do the front of my car around August '08 and somewhere around last year the film started to yellow. It's progressively gotten worse lately. I had brought it into them last summer and they said it's not that bad and somewhat normal. I've got a white car so it's easier to see the yellowing, but I'm a bit surprised since I don't park my car outdoors for long periods of time and it's garaged at night. I even avoided using any yellow colored detailing products as they suggested.

Does anyone else have film that's yellowed this fast??

Old 01-14-2011, 04:19 AM
6776 is infamous around these parts
Yes. My car is white, too. Notice it most on the sides in front of the rear tires.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
You have the old 3M film. Get it off. Or it sounds like it.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Premier uses Venture film. I have the same film on my previous 996 from Premier. No yellowing that I can see. But my 996 was gray.

Venture covers a lifetime warranty against yellowing. Premier should be able to cover this under warranty. I would contact them again since this bothers you.

If you decide to redo it at your own cost, PM me.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:38 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
I have XPEL on mine now, but the local installer has gotten away from Plexus. (I forget what the one item in it, but can contribute to yellowing).

Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Everyday some dirt clings on to the clear-bra which is not easily visible to the naked eye. If the clear-bra is not regularly washed and sealed (with special sealant for clear-bras) they will trap dirt into all the minute pores on the plastic film which over time will appear yellow. This will show more clearly on white cars. Take it to Premier and see what they tell you. Keep us posted.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
Had the same issue on my '07. It is new to me but used and I assume the previous owner put the film on early in the experience. I think it is hard to escape "yellowing" with sun exposure and enough time. Just had Mo Mistry (a six speed sponsor) replace part of it and the contrast is very evident. I think these overlays have to be considered as having an in-service life which is around 3-5 years. After that, replace. I'm going to get the rest of my cover replaced by "Glistening Perfection" as well.

P.S. when you get it replaced make sure to take advantage to get the underlying paint treated as well. Expensive but necessary.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
they will ALL yellow. you just see it on white more.
most of my cars are white.
when too yellow, just get new wrap.
it's like tires. they wear out. they will yellow even if you never drive the car.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Damage is infamous around these parts
I know these things aren't supposed to last forever, but I didn't think they would yellow in 2yrs. I was expecting 5yrs + before it happened.

Is it reasonable to ask for them to rewrap it? And possibly ask for 3M?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I can't give a fully informed reply. Not enough experience. I suspect it's more of an issue on lighter colors. It would certainly be worth bringing it to the attention of the original installer.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Don't think so

Originally Posted by mooty
it's like tires. they wear out. they will yellow even if you never drive the car.
I don't think they all yellow.
I've been using X-Pel for many years on a number of cars, and it's never yellowed.
Mr. B

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I don't think they all yellow.
I've been using X-Pel for many years on a number of cars, and it's never yellowed.
Mr. B
on a white car?
i have xpel, venture, 3m. all yellow

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
on a white car?
i have xpel, venture, 3m. all yellow

White is the paint color that is most prone to discolration. Clear bras from every manufacturer are somewhat porous and this porosity is what enables a bra to yellow. A strong top coat on the clear bra helps to prevent yellowing but there are a couple of purpose made products to help prevent yellowing.

The reason why the film yellows is because of pollutants in the air and from the road contaminate a clear bra. A typical cause of discoloration is while driving in the rain, the car in front of you is spraying your car with a mixture of water and motor oil.

To prevent yellowing and throwing away a good clear bra I would recommend using the following products:

XPEL PPF Cleaner (16 oz)

XPEL Paint Protection Film Cleaner is designed to extract most environmental deposits such as tar, oil, hard water stains, bug acids and other contaminants from Polyurethane paint protection films. Its deep cleaning action restores the clear, glossy, freshly-installed appearance of the original film.
Part Number: R1331
Our Price: $19.95

http://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_p...ducts&pn=R1331

XPEL PPF Sealant (16 ounce bottle)

XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection.
Click here for more information on the XPEL Paint Protection System!

Part Number: R1326
Our Price: $19.95

http://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_p...ducts&pn=R1326

I would give the cleaner a try before looking at a new clear bra. Keep in mind that the longer a stain has set in the harder it is to remove (just like taking care of your clothes in the laundry).

Last edited by XPEL; 03-31-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough

Mooty,

You might want to check out this link. It demos how well XPEL's PPF cleaner works.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/lofive...hp/t60599.html

Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
ccbesq is infamous around these parts
Since I bought my first Porsche - a black C4S - four years ago, I've probably read dozens if not hundreds of threads on this general subject. I can see putting clear protectors on headlights to provide some protection for the lenses. But on the paint? It reminds me of the Bubbas who put clear slip covers on their living room furniture. No thanks . . .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear bra - yellowing?