Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Incomplete OEM 996 GT3 Suspension. Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned
Diablo360 is infamous around these parts
Incomplete OEM 996 GT3 Suspension. Help!!!!

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me swinging in from the 996 forum for some help. I bought this set of GT3 Coilovers today and noticed that they are incomplete: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Can you guys help me figure out what parts I need to install them on my C2? Is my "score" gong to cost me another $1k in parts? I guess now is a good time to upgrade any of those parts, but I honestly don't mind sticking with used oem parts because I won't be doing a lot of track driving. I purchased this set mainly for street driving and occasional track use (maybe once or twice a year). Sorry for the newb question but I searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer that cleared things up for me.....

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Just to be clear...

Your trying to put coilovers made for a GT3 on your C2?

Jason

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned
Yes, but this isn't something that hasn't been done before...... In fact, many have done the same swap with no issues at all...... My only problem is that the pair of coilovers I purchased were missing a part or two (on each unit) that normally come with it. The owner of these coilovers decided to use them for his new setup, hence the cheaper price for me..... I'm not here to ask whether the swap is possible, but only to find out what parts I need to complete it......

Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Ok from your link they look complete to include the top mounts which are not even part of a C/O kit. Do you know the names of the pieces missing.

To make these work on a C2 your going to a need a few other parts as well of course...

Jason

Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 AM
911rox is infamous around these parts
The easiest way to work out what else you need will be to compare the parts catalogs for the 996 GT3 and Carrera range on the Porsche website...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

It doesn't look like those units are missing anything. It will probably be a case of working out whether the GT3s use different uprights at the front. Then you'll probably need some new mounting bolts etc. May be worth overhauling the dampers through a bilstein dealer before mounting to save yourself the pain of having to pull them off the car again anytime soon...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Diablo360
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me swinging in from the 996 forum for some help. I bought this set of GT3 Coilovers today and noticed that they are incomplete: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130473696334&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Can you guys help me figure out what parts I need to install them on my C2? Is my "score" gong to cost me another $1k in parts? I guess now is a good time to upgrade any of those parts, but I honestly don't mind sticking with used oem parts because I won't be doing a lot of track driving. I purchased this set mainly for street driving and occasional track use (maybe once or twice a year). Sorry for the newb question but I searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer that cleared things up for me.....

Thanks in advance.
if you are trying to put 996 suspension into 997 car it may not work, at least not without additional manipulations.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned
Hey guys, thanks for chiming in, I fond this thread on Rennlist and it lookslike I found the parts that I need: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...on-996-c2.html

(mine is a 996 C2 btw)

I guess the best place to find them is from somebody who has upgraded their GT3 suspension and no longer needs the parts, otherwise the cost to upgrade/replace the parts doesn't realy make this setup worth it......

Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
911rox is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Diablo360
Hey guys, thanks for chiming in, I fond this thread on Rennlist and it lookslike I found the parts that I need: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...on-996-c2.html

(mine is a 996 C2 btw)

I guess the best place to find them is from somebody who has upgraded their GT3 suspension and no longer needs the parts, otherwise the cost to upgrade/replace the parts doesn't realy make this setup worth it......
Diablo, your units already have the strut tops so you only need the adjustable sway bars and you are done it would seem.... They should be by far the least expensive components to buy....

Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned
Yup, it does look complete. It looks like I just need part #3 and #4 for the front and rears as shown in the pictures below, and then a set of oem sway bar links for all 4 units. The coilovers themselves have 10k non-track miles, and are off of a 2005 car, so they should be good to go. I will be driving this car less than 3k miles/yr, so I'm not too worried about the future at this point.... Now I just need to source the parts, or find someone who has extra oem pieces that they are willing to part with. The search continues.....