Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.2 GT3 Running Agency Power Roll Bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I have very good experiance with this roll bar. It is easy to put in an take out and I am sure gives added protection in the event of a rollover. The only racing event I have used it for is the Texas Mile which is a NASA event I believe. The 4 point roll bar is required for this event if you plan to go faster than 190mph. The bar always passes tech inspection. I have communicated with the tech director for the 2011 events and he tells me the AP bolt-in 4 point RB will continue to pass inspection for 190+ speeds in spite of that little Lambo incident last time out...

For professional racing, I would suspect you would want something welded in. But for this particular purpose in a daily driver you cant beat this product.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
nugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud of
i was one of the first guys to have this in a car. I purchased it the day they came out, so I guess it's been a year or two that I have had it. For what I do, is PERFECT! I track my 997 as much as I can. I run with PCA, Redline time attack, realtime attack (new east coast time attack club) and Exotics rally who hold many track events all over the new England area. I have always passed tech at all of these clubs. When I run with ER, the track usually supplies a tech guy and we have run at some very strict tracks (Monticello) and its passed.

Like Dan has said, this is a great bar for everything but a full time race car! I shopped around a lot to find one that would fit me, and this was honestly the only one! I'm 6'3" 350lbs and most of these bars out there have you pinned straight up giant the wheel!

I need to take some pics, all I have is onboard video.

Ps... This car is my daily driver as well!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
rp714 is infamous around these parts
nugent_crai, I never bad mouthed anyone!!! My wife drives our GT3, I drive our restored 1974 911 RSR which we built in our garage. Hope this makes you feel better.

I'm sure there many satisfied customers of Vividracing and I understand you guys wanting to defend him but keep in mind the difference between a Harness Bar and a Roll Bar. That was and still is the question put out with no definitive answer.

If anyone wants to do a back round check, send me a PM and I'll give you my history. I didn't realize being new to a board was a crime.

RP714

Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
This is not a harness bar DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a Roll Bar. I guess Porsche, GMG, RSS, and us are idiots. If you can make it to AZ, please do so I can dub you our new President. READ AGAIN - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3098809

Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Funny this stuf even getting discussed. I just happen to prepare my car for rebuild, so I pretty well remmeber where to get all info from.

http://www.pca.org/Activities/Driver...Standards.aspx

For DEs - 'If installed, roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing standards.'

then go into appendix A here:
http://www.pca.org/LinkClick.aspx?fi...EM%3d&tabid=73

APPENDIX A - ROLL CAGE SPECIFICATIONS

Roll Cages and Bars:
The roll cage/roll bar must be securely mounted with the mounting plates at the bottom of the hoops mounted

directly to the floor and/or longitudinal members of the unibody and make metal to metal contact. Any padding, carpet, upholstery,
etc. must be removed to satisfy this requirement. The mounting area of bolt-in roll cage/roll bar must be backed by a plate of a size
equal to that of the upper mounting plate with a minimum thickness of 3/16”. Bolts must be grade 5 or higher. The roll cage/ roll bar
must be full ****pit width, except as originally supplied by the factory for open racecars, and have two fore/aft braces of tubing size
equal to the main hoop. The braces must be mounted as near to the top of the main hoop as possible at an included angle of at least 30
degrees. Also, the assembly must contain a diagonal (left to right side) brace from one upper side of the main hoop to a floor or
unibody lower frame mounting point of a bar member on the other side to obtain the strength benefits of triangulation.. Roll cage/roll
bar tubing in the Stock/Prepared Classes must remain within the passenger compartment. The removal of the door glass to facilitate
side impact protection is allowed. Carbon fiber roll cages or bars are not allowed.

Roll Cages:

The roll cage must have a full width main hoop and a full-width front hoop or two side halo hoops around the door opening connected by tubing across the top of the entire windshield. The tops of the hoops must be as close to the roof as closely as possible in closed-top cars. In open-top cars, the top of the main hoop must be at least 2” above the driver’s helmet, and the plane formed by the top of the main hoop and the top of the front hoop must be above the driver’s head in both closed and open top cars.

The front (or side halo) and main hoops must go to the floor pan and be connected with each other with tubing as close to the roof line as possible. The cage must have at least one additional bar across the door opening below the window level on each side connecting the front and main hoops for side impact protection. Additional side impact protection (two bars or “NASCAR” style bars protruding into the door) is strongly recommended.

Factory Roll Cages

as delivered in factory race cars are allowed. Roll cages sold or installed by Porsche in street cars are allowed in stock class cars if certified to meet FIA regulations. If the car exceeds the stock class rules, then a cage meeting the specifications above must be installed.

Roll Bars:

All provisions under section “Roll Cage and Bars” apply. Note that roll bars without terminal mounting plates braced on the frame are not acceptable. The top of the main hoop must be at least 2" above the driver’s helmet when the driver is seated in the normal driving position. Porsche Tequipment bars and factory roll bars in Boxsters are not sufficient to meet these rules.

An inspection hole 3/16" in diameter must be provided in a non-critical area for verification of tube thickness. Any portion of the
assembly which may come in contact with the driver’s helmet must be covered with high density foam at least 3/4" thick held securely
in place with zip ties, electrical tape or duct tape. Foam must be equivalent to SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857 standards for hardness.

Minimum Roll Bar Tubing Sizes Car Weight without Driver
Under 1500 lbs. Over 1500 lbs.
Mild Steel 1.5" x .120" 1.75" x .120"
Alloy Steel 1.375" x .090" 1.625" x .095"
Minimum Roll Cage Tubing Sizes
All required tubing must have the following minimum diameters and wall thicknesses:
Car Weight without Driver
Under 2500 lbs. Over 2500 lbs.

Mild Steel 1.50" x .095" 1.75" x .095” or 1.50" x .120”

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-19-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM
rp714 is infamous around these parts
I guess I'm a idiot but RSS calls theirs a Harness/Roll Bar !

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss_4_poi.../i-238428.aspx

Thank you I think I reached my 15 posts so I can PM with all my rich customers.

Last edited by rp714; 01-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rp714
I guess I'm a idiot but RSS calls theirs a Harness/Roll Bar !

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss_4_poi.../i-238428.aspx

Thank you I think I reached my 15 posts so I PM with all my rich customers.
there is a loophole in 2011 rules - you kinda still can have a harness bar in your car for DEs. but if you going to install a rollbar - it has to meet club racing rules.

now with harness bars i guess region may have its own rules, in mine those which get mounted to upper seatbelt points on b-pillars are forbidden, you are not going to pass tech inspection with them. lower mounted like brey-krause are still ok apparently at least from what I asked about i was told they are not clearly forbidden yet not recommended, like those brey-krause 1029. newest brey krause 1035 is OK as it mounts to rear struts.

but with rollbars - they got to be drilled to frame, not sitting on seat belt bolts or one can treat 2011 rules as they are pleased.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-19-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
A roll bar is basically the half cage from the front seats back. It allows for the harnesses to be mounted around the "harness" bar. As our customers and users state above, our Roll Bar accomplishes their needs. A roll cage is a full front to back setup that is welded in. Autopower offers a great kit that we have installed in a 996 Turbo before -

Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
rlj996tt650gt is a name known to allrlj996tt650gt is a name known to allrlj996tt650gt is a name known to allrlj996tt650gt is a name known to allrlj996tt650gt is a name known to allrlj996tt650gt is a name known to all
AP Roll Bar/ no problems at all with this product, robust build and sane, solid

I feel secure and comfortable with the AP Roll Bar above my head and neck in my Turbo. I did not want a full cage installed and like the flexibility this product offers in being able to unbolt the cross members and have very easy access to the rear of the car. My Turbo is not a full-time track car and I had no need for or interest in a full cage system.

Many years ago I was in a multiple (3X) roll-over accident in what was at the time a brand new 1971 911E. Anyone familiar with exploring the handling limits of a Porsche of that vintage rapidly found out that while the limits were very high--they presented some unique and potentially deadly characteristics in terms of managing what could easily and very quickly turn into "terminal over-steer". Small slides in the car required very careful, subtle corrections or you could easily find yourself headed off a corner backward at serious speed and more than 180 degrees in the opposite direction of your initial slide. This was all due to what seemed like a very mild correction for the initial slide. In those years every Porsche road car had the "widow-maker" dynamics of of a GT2 or GT3 without the sophisticated electronics, suspensions, brakes, and amazing tires that the RWD models of today have. I'm pleased to write that I was not driving the the car, no one was hurt, and that was without any sort of roll bar which was quite a testament to the integrity of Porsche construction. That accident left me craving the added sense of protection a well constructed roll bar could provide. I've also exclusively been interested in owning coupes.

I was also one of the 1st Vivid customers to purchase this roll bar and have been utterly content and happy with every aspect of the Roll Bar and that it completely fulfills it's described purpose in every way.

Attached Images   

Last edited by rlj996tt650gt; 01-24-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor
If you have had a good experience with our product and/or services, please leave us rep points by clicking the in the top right of your post.