Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 gt3 vs 997 gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
LOL I have been eyeing up 6's simply because the price difference and if I find what I want I can do a what I want to it w/in budget. My streets here aren't bad and I'm 31 not 50 so I don't mind her trying to buck me off and be twichy it can all be resolved. 1st I have to break it to the wife that I want to sell the TT, then try to sell the TT...
We need to start a group for this sorts of problem

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k
That's totally understandable... I know the comfort issue.... but for overall $$ value @ $50k, wouldn't you think a 6GT3 has better value for the dollar than the 7GT3?

I also noticed when taking both out.... the 6 was a bit more twitchy and nervous (felt like I had to manhadle her to get the best performance) and the 7 felt more planted and firm being less nervous at the limit.

I do however, like the fact the 6 has no aids
haha you're preaching to the fully converted.....

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
That's totally understandable... I know the comfort issue.... but for overall $$ value @ $50k, wouldn't you think a 6GT3 has better value for the dollar than the 7GT3?
value is in the eyes of the beholder.
for full on track car, i get 6
for dual purpose car, i get 7
that's my personal pref.

I also noticed when taking both out.... the 6 was a bit more twitchy and nervous (felt like I had to manhadle her to get the best performance) and the 7 felt more planted and firm being less nervous at the limit.
yes, right on,

I do however, like the fact the 6 has no aids
there are really no aids on the 7 if you are on track. if you spin a 6, you will spin the 7 just the same. the stability of 7 is due to geometry changes, not the aid though.

either way, both are wonderful cars, i can't decide, thus i have both; many times over.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I have not spent enough time in a 997 GT3 (any version) to make an appropriate comparison. That being said, I learned more about driving dynamics for the 911 platform in my old 996 GT3 than in any other Porsche I've owned. It was (and still is) an incredible car.

bob

Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Rev_2_8k is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mooty
value is in the eyes of the beholder.
for full on track car, i get 6
for dual purpose car, i get 7
that's my personal pref.

yes, right on,

there are really no aids on the 7 if you are on track. if you spin a 6, you will spin the 7 just the same. the stability of 7 is due to geometry changes, not the aid though.

either way, both are wonderful cars, i can't decide, thus i have both; many times over.

Well said.... I may be in the minority but I can get the 6 comfortably... the 7 would be a stretch. If I waited 1-2 years I could get a 7-7.2 or RS.

I have a line on a 6GT3 and am considering getting that and keeping it in the collection for down the road.

The 7 however, would be optimal for dual use (like I'd be doing).

Mooty, I need to PM you on some further questions I have on both, if that's ok?

-Steve

Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Well said.... I may be in the minority but I can get the 6 comfortably... the 7 would be a stretch. If I waited 1-2 years I could get a 7-7.2 or RS.

I have a line on a 6GT3 and am considering getting that and keeping it in the collection for down the road.

The 7 however, would be optimal for dual use (like I'd be doing).

Mooty, I need to PM you on some further questions I have on both, if that's ok?

-Steve
sure

Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
swbatte is infamous around these parts
I would only echo the advice already given.

I'd love a 997, but you're right, in Canada it's a lot of $ to upgrade. Besides, the 6 is awesome and I'd only consider it an upgrade for street driving comfort. But then again, who wants a comfy sports car? That's what daily drivers are for.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Rev_2_8k is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by swbatte
I would only echo the advice already given.

I'd love a 997, but you're right, in Canada it's a lot of $ to upgrade. Besides, the 6 is awesome and I'd only consider it an upgrade for street driving comfort. But then again, who wants a comfy sports car? That's what daily drivers are for.
Hey SW,

You post on NSX Prime in the Ontario section correct? I do to (same user name).

I noticed you upgraded from your NSX a while back to the 6GT3. I frequent London to visit friends.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
ex10psi is infamous around these parts
i've chased 997.1 GT3's on the track with my 996 GT3 and the 997's are not much faster based on my experience... in a straight line that is.

having said that, as others have said, the 997 is a "better" car in terms of fit, finish, newer engineering, etc...