Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Porsche GT3 RS Paint Protection Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Porsche GT3 RS Paint Protection Installation

XPEL's Premium Paint Protection Film Installation

The owner of the car was looking to protect his investement as he plans to race this Porsche in several events in Texas.

The installation included clear bra coverage on the entire hood, full front fenders, complete front bumper, the leading edge of the roof, and the rear quarter panels. The edges of the film were wrapped around the edges everywhere possible, making the paint protection film nearly impossible to see.

I you would like more information for putting a clear bra on your car, contact XPEL Technologies Corp. in San Antonio, Texas at 210-678-3700.

Here are the Photos:

Last edited by XPEL; 02-04-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Fixed photo links
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
IRguy is infamous around these parts
NICE work!!
I am planning to do this myself with your film (Xpel) as soon as my car arrives (early March). Few questions: is a 60"x5 feet sheet enough for the hood? and 30" x 12 feet for the bumper and fenders? How did you get off the badge??I thought i will cut the film around it, but removing it would be even better.

Thanks a lot!!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
rubber_ducky is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IRguy
NICE work!!
I am planning to do this myself with your film (Xpel) as soon as my car arrives (early March). Few questions: is a 60"x5 feet sheet enough for the hood? and 30" x 12 feet for the bumper and fenders? How did you get off the badge??I thought i will cut the film around it, but removing it would be even better.

Thanks a lot!!
The badge is easily removed from the underside of the hood. Loosen two nuts and it's off.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
The badge is easily removed from the underside of the hood. Loosen two nuts and it's off.

Thanks a Lot!!
I thought there is some adhesive under the badge.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 PM
dsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud of
Do you guys make films big enough to cover the whole hood in one piece?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
rubber_ducky is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IRguy
Thanks a Lot!!
I thought there is some adhesive under the badge.
That isn't adhesive. It's a rubber gasket that will come off with the badge. Easy peasy.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
60 x 60 is plenty to cover the entire hood (the actual dimensions are about 52 x 53), and our film comes in widths up to 60 inches. You will need about 9 feet of 30 inch to do the bumper in one piece, and another 9 and a half feet for the fenders (they are about 56 1/4 long each). As someone else stated, the badge comes off with two 8mm nuts underneath. Be sure not to drop them inside the hood when you remove them.

All that being said, I would highly recommend against trying this yourself unless you have training. It's much more difficult than it looks in the videos, and I'd hate to see you waste all that film.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the info!!
I will follow your measurements. Originally i thought the front fenders are shorter than the hood.
I could not find any good installer here in Omaha. I had to redo the clear bra on my M3 after the "professional" installation. I spent about 20h on the M3 but I enjoyed it. I feel confident about the GT3RS hood and front bumpers. Will remove the headlight like you did. The bumper is the only thing I am not so sure about. Still the 09 M3 bumper seems more difficult. I would welcome any advise on the bumper!!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Question: i thought about removing the wheel arch extensions before the film application then put the clear bra on them separately. Any thought on that?
Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
With the extent of the clear bra I would have though a full wrap would be logical!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Any one used the newer paint protection film " Avery ...the nano technology" ?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Nice work. That car looks vaguely familiar.

Thanks again for all your help on the car.

Keep a look out for Fedex, I sent you guys a great Mardi GRAS gift. Don't let frank eat it all.

I'll be putting a race report together and pics soon.

-Troy

Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
need to clear wrap that chicken for protection - he get's around, don't wanna see little chickens that swim real fast and eat schools of barramundi for brunch and stingrays for dinner.