Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Race seats and harness recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I think docdan has a full roll cage, no?

bob

Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
you haven't mentioned any roll protection or how you are going to secure the harnesses....I don't understand putting in race seats and harnesses and then a harness bar without any roll protection....you should put in at minimum a roll bar w/harness provision to protect your head in a roll over...hopefully, you will never need it but if it should happen (and it could easily and not be your fault) being erect in a racing seat with a harness holding you in that position will crush your head...an accident you could have walked away from just became a fatality...just word to the wise

The reason I didn't mention anything about roll protection is because I already have a roll bar installed.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
excellent...sorry, didn't mean to preach but I see too many track junkies that have racing seats and a harness bar and no roll protection...

Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xlr8ion
I believe he wanted other options not gt2 expense.
Apologies to the OP for being a little off topic, but wanted to mention the issue with the thorax airbag.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mvez
If you are going non-oem, what about using the Recaro Profi-SPG/XL with Brey-Krause side mount brackets. You get a top of the line FIA certified sport seat that is comfortable, and get to use stock sliders with BK side mounts. ~$2300 for the entire setup.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9075.php

Thanks for the recommendation. Are you currently using these seats in a GT3 or know someone who is? The reason I ask is I am wondering how straightforward is the install and fit with these seats.

thanks,

Dan

Old 02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
GT2 seats and Hans device

For all of you folks out there using GT2 seats for the track, I have this question: Do you use a HANS device with your seat?

The reason I ask is I was told by an owner of GT2 seats that it isn't very compatible/comfortable with his HANS device to the point that he won't/can't use his HANS with it. I plan on using a HANS device with my race seat, so this a pretty important question for me.

(The owner of the GT2 seats recommended "real" race seats made for a HANs device with a halo...the exact same thing Kerrigan Smith with Synergy Racing at that time pleaded with me to buy over 3 years ago for the sake of safety)

thanks,

Dan

Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
I don't personally like or use the Hans in the gt2seat at this point. But I should use it regardless. I do like it and use the hans device in sparco race halo seats in my old boxter. Seats are fairly easy to put in and out I think if I where to do it again I would get halo seats for the gt2 possibly omp . My instructor uses the Hans when driving my car and he doesn't seem to mind it...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
Last year I logged approx 3,000 track miles in my GT3 with GT2 seats, most wearing a Model 20 (20 deg) Hans device. I found both the seats and the HANs to be comfortable. Frankly, once I am busy driving, I don't notice my helmet, HANs or seat. I have not personally used a HANs model 10 or 30, but would guess they would not be comfortable with the GT2 seat. The Model 20 has the right angle for me.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM
FLM911 is infamous around these parts
I use a Hans with the carbon shell GT2 seats in m GT3 wit no issues. I have the HANS shoulder straps with the schroth 6 point harness. Not essential to get the HANS version of the straps, but does make it easier to get belted in.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Most everyone I see at the track that is useing a 6 point harness is also useing a HANS device.

IF you are going to street drive your car and your factory seats came with a thorax side impact air bag in them you really need to get the GT2 Buckets as they also have this and will keep your car compliant.

If you are trailering your car and never street driving it then there are planty of great after market seats like Psarco and Recaro that are awesome but do not have the thorax side impact air bag, which is not needed at the track.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
24Chromium is infamous around these parts
If at all possible, try out a fellow owners car with the same seat. I've got the GT2 seats in mine and I use a HANS. I have to admit, it's not a good match. I'm about 195lbs at 5' - 10". I find the HANS hits the seat back and in turn pushes my helmet a wee bit forward. It's annoying in the paddock, especially when you have to turn your head a lot to back out of your stall, etc. However, once on the track, I'm far too focused on driving to notice. I'm sure I would be more comfortable with a better seat/HANS combo, but I'm still happy with what I've got all things considered. Caveat emptor!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
neuroguru is infamous around these partsneuroguru is infamous around these parts
I don't have the 7.2GT3 set up for the track. The 6.2GT3 has the GMG RSR rollbar (love it). I had the Euro GT3 seats, liked them but the shoulder flanges didn't fit me quite right, so I put a new Sparco Pro 2000 in the driver's seat. Both seats are on Brey-Krause brackets. The seat height is great on the Porsche/Recaro Euro GT3s. The Sparco is a bit too raked back as the bottom of the seat limits how flat it can be, otherwise it is comfortable for daily driving.

I use a HANS 20 Sport and it works fine with either seat. I have the brand new Schroth 8-point belts with the separate 2" belts for the HANS. A bit finicky to get into/out of, but they are acceptable and allow people with or without HANS to ride in the car without drama.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 AM
farfinator is infamous around these parts
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-gt3-seats.jpg

You should be able to find a nice set of used Euro GT-3 seats such as above and even have them restitched in yellow such as this for reasonable money. But, be advised, oversized shipping on seats is quite expensive.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
mthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the rough
Folks already brought up the side air bag. Recently I have been looking at some mods for mine and the passenger seat air bag came up.

As I am sure you know the passenger side has that weight sensor that activates / deactivates the airbag. I am not sure how that sensor will be effected by a seat change or if you will have to get that model seats sensor. It seems if you stick with Porsche seat options you have a good chance that the sensor will be compatible with the rest of the system.

Again not sure how much of this is an issue, but I thought it was better to post and be told I was wrong, than you miss something when considering your options

Hope this helps

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 PM
playboymd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Izzone
Dan I have GT2 seats......will email you pics if you want.

If you drive on the street and track they are the perfect seat
How did you hook up your harness to the lower middle of the seat?

I have a gt3rs and just got the gt2 seats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race seats and harness recommendations