Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Race seats and harness recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Arrow Race seats and harness recommendations

Okay, the time is now long overdue for me to upgrade my seats in my 997.1 GT3 to sport bucket seats and 6 point harnesses. Currently I'm using my stock Alacantara Adaptive Sport Seats. My first choice of seats would be the leather Sport Bucket seats a.k.a. "GT2 Seats", mainy because of style and comfort since my GT3 still gets used as a street car as well. Just as a reference, I'm not very large weighing in at 165lbs. and being 5'11".

The biggest downside with the GT2 seats is the cost. So, I was wondering what other types of sport bucket seats, that are harness compatible, have other people installed in their GT3's and what you think of them? Are they at all comfortable? Were they easy and straight forward to install, or did you have to modifiy brackets, etc...?

Also, any big differences in the 6 point harnesses? I plan on wearing a HANS device if that makes a difference.

Also, PLEASE post pictures or links to your seats if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
Dan I have GT2 seats......will email you pics if you want.

If you drive on the street and track they are the perfect seat

Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
I have the GT2 seats and use them with a Hans device and the Porsche 6 Point harness. The seats are very comfortable, even for long trips, and I am very happy with the setup. They do not recline, however, and are a little more upright than I prefer (6' 2", 200 lbs). They also seem higher than the sport adaptive seats, which may be an issue if you have a sunroof (I have a 997.2 GT3, so no sunroof issues). Also, the GT2 seats are the only racing seat that will include the Porsche Thorax airbag, an important consideration for me. Although perfectly adequate for daily driving, these seats are better on the track than on the street. My dealer did the install, but they are Porsche OEM so there should be no issues with brackets, etc.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
What jbxea1 said . I use a schroth racing harness as well

Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned
A few pics. Under seat

Attached Images  

Last edited by gt2urbo; 02-19-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned
Gt2 seat and schroth harness

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Be sure to contact your insurance agent if you do not get the GT2 seats with the side thorax air bag. You will have to turn the air bag off with 996 GT3 seats or any other after market seat. This will effect your liability if you are on the street and in a crash and you or your passenger get hurt. A lawyer will have a field day at the zoo with you.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
xlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nice
I believe he wanted other options not gt2 expense.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:17 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Izzone
Dan I have GT2 seats......will email you pics if you want.

If you drive on the street and track they are the perfect seat
Thanks Izzone. I suspected that these seats were probably the best combination track/street seat.

Originally Posted by jbxea1
I have the GT2 seats and use them with a Hans device and the Porsche 6 Point harness. The seats are very comfortable, even for long trips, and I am very happy with the setup..

The longest I probably ever drive my GT3 on the street is just maybe an hour or so of pleasure cruising. It sounds like the GT2 seats will be more than capable for this. Thanks for the review.

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
Gt2 seat and schroth harness
Thanks for taking those photos. Aesthetically it's hard to beat the GT2 seats and harnesses. I'm trying to avoid the cost of these seats if possible, but you guys are not making it any easier for me!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Be sure to contact your insurance agent if you do not get the GT2 seats with the side thorax air bag. You will have to turn the air bag off with 996 GT3 seats or any other after market seat. This will effect your liability if you are on the street and in a crash and you or your passenger get hurt. A lawyer will have a field day at the zoo with you.

I didn't even think about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by xlr8ion
I believe he wanted other options not gt2 expense.

That would be correct!

Although hearing how great the GT2 seats are only confirms my initial instincts, is there anybody else out there tracking their GT3 with another brand or model of seats?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
If you are going non-oem, what about using the Recaro Profi-SPG/XL with Brey-Krause side mount brackets. You get a top of the line FIA certified sport seat that is comfortable, and get to use stock sliders with BK side mounts. ~$2300 for the entire setup.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9075.php

Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned
Check eBay often might find a cheap set. I found a used set for 3500 witty a little wear and tear. But not bad also when tey get bad I will just wrapmit alcantara. Good luck with search the recaro seats aren't bad either and look ok too seen a few de'rs running that too

Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The comment made about the thorax airbag is the killer (sorry) difference. I've been planning on upgrading the seats in my 997S Cab, and these are the only ones really worth considering regardless of price. Any and all aftermarket seats lack the additional safety feature. Now if they only made them heated...
But for a coupe, they seem like a (pricey) no brainer.
GL

Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you haven't mentioned any roll protection or how you are going to secure the harnesses....I don't understand putting in race seats and harnesses and then a harness bar without any roll protection....you should put in at minimum a roll bar w/harness provision to protect your head in a roll over...hopefully, you will never need it but if it should happen (and it could easily and not be your fault) being erect in a racing seat with a harness holding you in that position will crush your head...an accident you could have walked away from just became a fatality...just word to the wise

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race seats and harness recommendations