Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Does anyone daily drive their GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Andrew D. is infamous around these parts
I drive mine everyday. The only "problem" is the low clearance getting up and down some driveways.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
kumar75150 is infamous around these parts
I do with the PIrelli Corsas.

cons: its pretty low. first car ive owned where i have to watch out for bumps and slow down.

tires are super expensive and dont last long.

But definitely worth it to me. I can't drive a "normal" car anymore.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
I drive mine most days (when it is not snowing). 20 minute commute on surface streets, including a stretch of country road. Bridgestone RE-11's are a good choice for DD street tires.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
frankie997 is infamous around these parts
I am traded my 2009 C2S for my 2011 GT3 2 months ago.
Just want to put this question out there. on a daily drive over any type of small pot hole or bump in the road does any ones car have a "bottom out" sound in the suspension?
Is this normal?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
^^ Many people throw Toyo's on. Check out how many people use R888 and RA-1's. I'm awaiting a set of R888's to be mounted and balanced right now.
R888 sucks as a dd tire....

If you have to drive to track use it, but it sucks there too

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
TO FRANKIE997 If it is "bottoming out" that is suspension most likely. Make sure that the "stoppers" were taken out from factory delivery, or avoid potholes more.

To the OP: I believe that you have many considerations in having a GT3 as a DD. Many depend on your lifestyle, attitude and where you live. I can tell you for me I could not DD a GT3, even though I think it is a phenomenal car. When I wake up to 20-30 degree weather with possible snow on the ground and leftover icy chunks in the road, pile on my winter coat and go outside to head to work and dive through the many potholes created by the aforementioned weather, I want to take my cayenne. On the other hand, a nice set of snow tires on a GT3 and some free time would make a nice afternoon, but I don't think Im personally hard core enough...in the winter....to want that every single day...work, grocery store, etc. But if I had another car that is a different story. When I hear DD I assume you mean with no other car option in the driveway for your personal use. If that is the case...really consider it depending on where you live, who you need to drive around, and how flexible your daily commute or work schedule is.
Hope that helps,
D

Last edited by Porsche119; 03-05-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by frankie997
Just want to put this question out there. on a daily drive over any type of small pot hole or bump in the road does any ones car have a "bottom out" sound in the suspension?
Is this normal?
Mine does this whenever it gets cold (below 50F). It's normal and it will go away as soon as the weather warms up. According the tech at the local dealer, the shocks get noisy when it's cold. During the summer months, there's no noise at all, only in cold weather.

BTW my Cayman also made these same noises in cold weather, although not to the same degree as the GT3.

Last edited by jakegt3; 03-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM
frankie997 is infamous around these parts
Porsche 119 Thank you. I did ask the dealer if they were removed and of course they said yes.
This happens even on slight bumps in the road more so when the car is cold.
I think i'll swing by the dealer and have them put it on the lift and see myself.
Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 AM
audiophilitis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by frankie997
Is this normal?
When I took delivery of the car a couple of months ago, the black plastic stoppers were still on the coilover springs -- it was a weird drive home from the dealership. It did feel like the dampers bottoming out on dips and pot holes.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Izzone
R888 sucks as a dd tire....

If you have to drive to track use it, but it sucks there too
My 3 isn't my DD luckily, I definitely wouldn't have went with r888 for DD purposes. In your opinion why do you think they suck? I've used nt01s and kumho v710 before on track and the nt01s were extremely loud, but gripped well. I went with the toyos because I'm still on 19's and didn't want to pay for mpsc again.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM
CM911 is infamous around these partsCM911 is infamous around these parts
Completely off topic, but how would you compare your Ford GT to your GT3? Which do you like better? Sorry about the random question, but you are the first person I've seen with both and I've always loved both cars.

QUOTE=kumar75150;3140300]I do with the PIrelli Corsas.

cons: its pretty low. first car ive owned where i have to watch out for bumps and slow down.

tires are super expensive and dont last long.

But definitely worth it to me. I can't drive a "normal" car anymore.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM
ROADROCKET is infamous around these parts
I see most 997 GT3's for sale have relatively low milage (<5k miles on a 2 yr old car on average) and makes me think not many people dd them...
In FL an average daily driver accumulates 10-12k miles a year, highway miles for the most part. I have yet not seen a 997 GT3 with more than 20k miles for sale.
I have an Acura MDX and a Honda civic for daily commute, mainly because I want to put pleasure miles / track miles on my GT3 rather than exposing it to daily traffic, bumper to bumper 100 degree traffic jams and get door dings and scratches for parking in tight spaces. Not to mention potholes, highway joints/cracks, scraping the front spoiler, etc.
I think this car is built to be driven... but in the right environment.

I respect other opinions, but this is mine.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
I drive mine almost every day, maybe 20 miles to work and back.
About 7500 miles now. Drove '07 GT3 also, put 12K miles on in 1 1/2 year. I have a small commute, don't want to leave it with the valet guys and the wife does not want to drive in the bouncy "clown car".

Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
David911 is infamous around these parts
I daily drive mine about 100 miles a day. If you like it, you like it. My two biggest annoyances are the crappy stereo (I basically can only listen to talk radio) and scraping the front bumper.

One more annoyance, if you could call it that: you can very, very rarely put your right foot all the way to the floor - you get to insane speeds in a heartbeat.

I love the car though, and won't be changing anytime soon.

David
2008 Speed Yellow GT3

Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by David911
I daily drive mine about 100 miles a day. If you like it, you like it. My two biggest annoyances are the crappy stereo (I basically can only listen to talk radio) and scraping the front bumper.

One more annoyance, if you could call it that: you can very, very rarely put your right foot all the way to the floor - you get to insane speeds in a heartbeat.

I love the car though, and won't be changing anytime soon.

David
2008 Speed Yellow GT3
bring it to a good high end shop and have a custom stereo speaker nicely integrated into it. no, not the 500" sufwoofers, but just some nice tweeters and midrange stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone daily drive their GT3?