Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3? is it fun to drive slowly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
neuroguru is infamous around these partsneuroguru is infamous around these parts
The perfect, comfortable slow car with no complaints as far as vehicular manners. 7.2 is very supple, almost tubby-turboish cushiness. The problem is the agony of rarely dipping into the velvet goodness of the "zone" (5-8.4k rpms) in anything but first gear on ground level streets. It is sheer freaking torture to have the throttle taunting your toetips!

But if you don't drive it you miss it and just want it. You promise yourself you won't go too fast. Oops, I did it again .... Remember Pee Wee Herman in Cheech N Chong's Nice Dreams as the guy in the insane asylum? "I'm sorry ...I'm NOT sorry!"

Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
What exactly is slow? If stop and go truly I'd rather drive my Q7 and listen to Satellite radio with a S'bucks.

But moving along at moderate speed matching revs on the downshifts and tipping in the throttle at just the right moment is incomparable to any lesser vehicle. It's energizing and energetic, a little Walter Mitteyesque "Senna" for your morning commute.

A cruiser it is not but if you enjoy the aural and physical stimulation of a driving artistry it's magic.

But be sure this is truly what you want and that it is not just the exclusivity and legend of the GT 3 that drives you.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
The fun starts every time I start the engine, and the thrill whenever the engine revs above 4,000rpm.

One of my fun drives is a local mountain road full of turns. In 2nd gear bouncing around 4,000-5,000rpm within legal speed limit, windows down, the GT3 recharges my soul every mile I drive it.

That is what the beauty of the GT1 engine is about, it has so much soul that it communicates with our senses whether in a leisure drive or track day. Its old school sounds & vibrations stir our sensation that modern super-quiet super-smooth engines cannot duplicate.

I admit that sometimes after I drove the GT3 home, I let the engine idled for a few minutes inside the garage, I just stood next to the car to listen, and that was part of the fun too.

With best regards,

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 AM
ROADROCKET is infamous around these parts
This is by far the most involving car to drive at any speed - That I have ever had my hands on.
It becomes alive above 5k rpm... yes. I cannot argue that
Fast or slow - it is a magical ride.
Like everything in life - it depends on your mood... there is no right or wrong... fast or slow... this car will reward you in every situation.
And when you are not blasting through traffic... this car is so civilized, composed, non-vicious, and a real head turner! It will make u feel like a rockstar just driving it at 10mph.
So, in essence this is the most versatile supercar your money can buy.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM
lumber is infamous around these parts
On a serious note, I prefer to drive my Spyder on the street, the GT3 is boring at the posted speed limit, feels like I'm idling.
What he said...Ive owned a 07 gt3 and a gt3rs, and while they are the best sounding/feeling cars out there, they come alive at high rpms. That just doesnt happen easily at the speed limit...

Sure, you can drive around in 2nd gear all day long, but it gets old. I can appreciate driving a gt3 at speeds where you wont get arrested, but its difficult.

I was going to pull the trigger on a 10gt3, but after much research, I picked up a spyder instead...its crazy how many guys own both a gt3 and a spyder, and pick the spyder over the 3 for the street...that speaks volumes.

Now owning a spyder, I would agree...

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
sprinty_rs4 is infamous around these parts
I would recommend a 3/4 ton diesel 4X4 make sure you get the tow package, xm, and nav for 30-60 mph driving. This is a high performance car with a 8000+ rpm limit. I think most of us would agree the car wasn't designed for cruising at 30-60 mph. I actually feel I'm doing the car a disservice cruising it basically putting crap miles on it.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
rost12 is infamous around these parts
I find 7.2 to be fun at any speeds, as long as I'm not in bumper to bumper traffic. Steering feel, responsiveness, mechanical action of the shifter, it's all a joy. Show it to a rural road with some twisties and it sings!

However it'd drive me mad if it was my only car, as for London traffic I prefer something with a slushbox and a proper cup-holder