Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rust proofing on GT3 and RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM
CM911 is infamous around these partsCM911 is infamous around these parts
Rust proofing on GT3 and RS

Has anyone confirmed that there is no rust proofing on the .2 GT3 and .2RS? Do the . 1 GT3 and .1RS have the rust proofing? I keep reading that there is no rust proofing and would love to know if anyone knows for sure.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 PM
masmole is infamous around these parts
Where did you keep reading about no rust-proofing on the .2? If you ever watch the "Ultimate Factories" episode on Nat Geo channel that featured the start-to-finish factory build of a .2 GT3, they clearly show how not long after the body is welded together from frames and panels, the whole body shell assembly is treated to an anti-corrosive cathodic dipped primer bath (positive charge). Since the body shell is being held by a negatively charged carrier, no surface of the body shell gets missed and the bond of the anti-corrosive primer to the metal becomes incredibly strong. Same electrical-charge-based process continues with further coats of primer that are sprayed-on, then they get to actual color painting. So it's very similar to the many high-tech paint jobs done at many other car factories today, if not better.

btw, if you haven't seen this episode, definitely check it out. If you're not into TV, it's probably on YouTube. Amazing stuff that goes on at that factory.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Here's the link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXkq31Nnt0

And continue with the rest (2/5 etc) as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Makes you appreciate the price we pay. That surely isn't done in an American car plant.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
My .1 GT3's warranty states that the period of anti-corrosion warranty coverage (4 years) is less than for other 911's. People have taken this as evidence of reduced rust proofing, but I have never seen or heard of concrete evidence of this.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
great post

Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Richie18 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by masmole
Where did you keep reading about no rust-proofing on the .2? If you ever watch the "Ultimate Factories" episode on Nat Geo channel that featured the start-to-finish factory build of a .2 GT3, they clearly show how not long after the body is welded together from frames and panels, the whole body shell assembly is treated to an anti-corrosive cathodic dipped primer bath (positive charge). Since the body shell is being held by a negatively charged carrier, no surface of the body shell gets missed and the bond of the anti-corrosive primer to the metal becomes incredibly strong. Same electrical-charge-based process continues with further coats of primer that are sprayed-on, then they get to actual color painting. So it's very similar to the many high-tech paint jobs done at many other car factories today, if not better.

btw, if you haven't seen this episode, definitely check it out. If you're not into TV, it's probably on YouTube. Amazing stuff that goes on at that factory.
Originally Posted by jakegt3
My .1 GT3's warranty states that the period of anti-corrosion warranty coverage (4 years) is less than for other 911's. People have taken this as evidence of reduced rust proofing, but I have never seen or heard of concrete evidence of this.
I think the warranty reveals the true nature of GT3's corrosion protection. Where, i believe, all other 911's the anti corrosion warranty is 10 years. Like jakegt3 said it is only 4 years for the GT3.

I'm not sure what parts aren't treated with anti corrosion but i would say its those parts that are not painted. So the body would, as the video shows, still have the normal rust protection.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Amazing video. At least it looks like the bodies are treated the same. I wonder what parts are not.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Tks for the info, on the market for a 07 GT3 in the east coast, but after hearing about the rust protection only 4 yrs, made me think about getting a 09 C2S instead, since I plan on keeping my next porsche for at least 8 yrs.

Originally Posted by Richie18
I think the warranty reveals the true nature of GT3's corrosion protection. Where, i believe, all other 911's the anti corrosion warranty is 10 years. Like jakegt3 said it is only 4 years for the GT3.

I'm not sure what parts aren't treated with anti corrosion but i would say its those parts that are not painted. So the body would, as the video shows, still have the normal rust protection.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
It's my understanding that the GT cars do not have the cosmoline coating on the engine/transmission. Maybe that's what the original poster is referring to.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
It's my understanding that the GT cars do not have the cosmoline coating on the engine/transmission. Maybe that's what the original poster is referring to.

That was my thought as well. I can confirm no cosmoline on the 11 RS as I have one on the lift right now. I will check a regular 11 GT3 on sunday.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
What exactly is cosmoline? Thanks let us know if it is on the normal GT3.
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
That was my thought as well. I can confirm no cosmoline on the 11 RS as I have one on the lift right now. I will check a regular 11 GT3 on sunday.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
The main thing on the non-GT cars is the rubberized undercoating that you see along and under the rockers and is painted over, that the GT cars don't have. If you look at the rockers of a GT car, you will see that it's just paint, and probably a lot of rock chips from the tires that fling road debris and rocks at it.