Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

first track event questions for new 2011 gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
car is fine as is for most track day drivers. those that have years of experience with near professional skill will want more of course. unless you are in the fastest run group i would change nothing.

what are your lap times and what track? im sure others here can tell you what 10th's your driving at.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM
greyhound is infamous around these partsgreyhound is infamous around these parts
Because I have great cars I think my cars will always be more capable than my abilities. I know guys with great cars who putz around the track in black and red run groups and, in my opinion, are not pushing themselves or their cars. I also know guys with lesser cars that push just a little harder each lap/event/track. I try to go as fast as I can, hit every apex as perfectly and as safely as I can, let no one pass, and stay on the *** of every car I come upon. I am not sure what 10th's this is but I call it 9/10th's. 10/10 is for professionals and maniacs.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Sorry but are you for real? You "let no one pass"? Good grief.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
I drive a 2010 GT3 totally stock for my first 14 track days last year. I have the Corsa street tires and stock PCCB brakes. Went through one set of pads (stock front and rears, after 10 days, 2 hours each day). This year next month I will stay with no change except flushed the brakes/clutch with Motul 600 brake fluid, did 2 oil+filter changes, and will be adding a Tequipment harness rollbar and Schroth 6pt harness. My tires are about 30-40%worn. I am driving about 7/10th's and am the slowest in the red group. I think you will be fine driving a stock GT3 at first until you feel you have reached the car's limits and cannot go faster without starting to modify the current baseline street settings. Driving 10/10ths is racing not DE (where safety and other people sharing track use to enjoy their cars takes precedence over your personal desire to wring out max performance from your ride). Since I'm like you having a limited budget I would wear out the OEM tires first before going to cheaper alternatives later. Have fun and good luck.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
You don't

Originally Posted by greyhound
I would hope for a 127,000 large I would be in good shape without worrying about brake fluid and pads with 2,500 miles. If so, maybe I should have gone with that Audi R8 v10 I was looking at with the way cooler interior and window to the engine located in a responsible and proper position? And I would hope the fellows at Stuttgart could deliver the thing with a proper alignment?? I hope you guys posting this stuff are just **** retentive. I am a veterinarian for god sakes with the need for a little break and rush from time to time and just don't want to end up in the trees/wall. Thanks for opinions none the less.

Like I said, you don't need to do anything to the car. Porsche makes the car track-ready, so you're "good to go."
Mr. B
(with over 150 races and even way more track events)

Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
Also, don't be an *** and not let people pass. If you are doing DE and there are cars faster than you who have caught up you should be courteous and give them the point by. Then you can chase them down and get to pass when you do. That's more fun and less frustrating for the others sharing the track with you. When you are racing then it's different. We are talking Driver's education track events not racing.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
No One?

Because I have great cars I think my cars will always be more capable than my abilities. I know guys with great cars who putz around the track in black and red run groups and, in my opinion, are not pushing themselves or their cars. I also know guys with lesser cars that push just a little harder each lap/event/track. I try to go as fast as I can, hit every apex as perfectly and as safely as I can, let no one pass, and stay on the *** of every car I come upon. I am not sure what 10th's this is but I call it 9/10th's. 10/10 is for professionals and maniacs.
Let no one pass? What are you talking about? I am certain that is not what you were taught, and it's downright unsafe and even hostile.

As to the 10/10ths comments: A driver should know when he is able to drive a car at 10/10ths. In the hands of a capable & skilled driver you can do 10/10ths at an HPDE. I've done it both in racing and at HPDE's.
Mr. B

Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM
greyhound is infamous around these partsgreyhound is infamous around these parts
oh, I will be the first to let a faster car by. I hate seeing a car in my mirrors and will signal a pass quicker than most. I just TRY to stay ahead. Believe me, I am by no means ever the fastest in my group. There is always someone better, quicker, more experienced. I even pull over for the 600hp corvettes on the straights so I can catch them on turn 3.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
oh, I will be the first to let a faster car by. I hate seeing a car in my mirrors and will signal a pass quicker than most. I just TRY to stay ahead. Believe me, I am by no means ever the fastest in my group. There is always someone better, quicker, more experienced. I even pull over for the 600hp corvettes on the straights so I can catch them on turn 3.

I follow all the rules, but I don't lift for corvettes

Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
No one should be driving a street car at 10/10ths on the track. My opinion obviously but unless you have a full cage, harnesses, HANS ND fire suppression then I would advise that 8/10ths is about ample.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Davidham is infamous around these parts
Go with an instructor, listen to the tires, change the fluids and have a great time!

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Davidham
Go with an instructor, listen to the tires, change the fluids and have a great time!
perhaps the best advise of all. I did not mean to offend anyone with my interpretation of driving 9/10ths. I am a very courteous and safe driver looking to push my abilities and car and enjoy each time I get the opportunity to use it for which it was designed.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 PM
PolarPorsche is infamous around these parts
Here's a starter list for you to consider, safety equipment should be first on your list, HANS, full face Helmet, 5 or 6 point harness, Driving suit, Boots, gloves, you get the picture.

Ordered the OEM sport Buckets seats and Dynamic Engine Mounts with the car.

List of Mods on my 2011 GT3
- Tarret rear toe links and locking plates
- Tequipment roll bar
- 5 point Harness
- BK Sub Bars for both seats
- 2 sets of Forgeline track wheels 18”
- Hoosier R6’s for DE and Nitto NT01 for AX
- Sharkwerks centre bypass pipe
- Padgid yellow pads- all four corners
- ¾ of the car is covered in Clear Bra
- TracMate HD system
- Track alignment- Corner Balance
- Hi-Temp Brake Fluid
- Extra set of Centre lock nuts

Future Mods
- LWFW
- Guard -LSD
- Fire Extinguisher
- ECU upgrade
- Girodisc brake rotors- all four corners

Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
1st track day GT3

Get the tire pressures right!, A good start point would be about 33 rear and 28 front; cold pressure of course!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
29 & 30

Originally Posted by jurnes
Get the tire pressures right!, A good start point would be about 33 rear and 28 front; cold pressure of course!
With the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's I used 29F and 30R, cold.
Mr. B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: first track event questions for new 2011 gt3