Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Want to remove decals............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
Want to remove decals............

How does one go about doing it. The decals have been on the car for abouot a year. Would love to do this before I start it up for the first time after the winter storage.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by afridi
How does one go about doing it. The decals have been on the car for abouot a year. Would love to do this before I start it up for the first time after the winter storage.
I have installed and removed LOTS of decals from my racecars. Here's how I remove them: I get my wife's hair dryer and set it on the highest heat and apply it to a corner of the decal. You'll have to work at it, but it will come off. Before installing a new decal, apply a good coat of wax as that will aid in removal later.
Hope this helps.
Mr. B

Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 AM
MartinF is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I have installed and removed LOTS of decals from my racecars. Here's how I remove them: I get my wife's hair dryer and set it on the highest heat and apply it to a corner of the decal. You'll have to work at it, but it will come off. Before installing a new decal, apply a good coat of wax as that will aid in removal later.
Hope this helps.
Mr. B
That's it. Once a corner is off, start peeling the decals while simultaneously blowing hot hair on it

Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 AM
mthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the rough
Where are the decals located? Sun can be really harsh on paint. You may find that once the decal is removed you have a slight color difference.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Hair??

Originally Posted by MartinF
That's it. Once a corner is off, start peeling the decals while simultaneously blowing hot hair on it

Hot "hair" ??

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3iJu8W2ipo
I agree with everything in the video except his comment about scraping.
He mentions "Goo Gone" and that is great stuff for any residue left behind after decal removal.
Mr. B

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks. Goo Gone? Safe for paint?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Absolutely

Thanks. Goo Gone? Safe for paint?

Yes, safe for paint.
Like I said, do what the guy in the video shows you, but do not do any scraping.

Just be patient. Heat does the trick.

BTW, if you plan to install decals, I have a surefire method that eliminates bubbles.
Mr. B

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks. I dont plan to put any other decals on, just want to polish/wax the area and leave it clean.

Can I use simply green on the paint to get off the guey stuff.......have a ton of that lying around!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
PBR ME is infamous around these partsPBR ME is infamous around these parts
Let's hear the sure fire method for decal application!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks. I dont plan to put any other decals on, just want to polish/wax the area and leave it clean.

Can I use simply green on the paint to get off the guey stuff.......have a ton of that lying around!
Personally, I think Goo Gone is better, but that's just my $.02
Mr. B

Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Okey Dokey

Originally Posted by PBR ME
Let's hear the sure fire method for decal application!
Start with a clean and waxed car surface. Best to do this on a day that's not at all windy. Figure out where you want the decal.

You'll need a spray bottle and in the bottle put a wee bit of dishwasher liquid and water. Spray the area you intend to cover with the decal, so the car surface is now wet with this solution. Peel off the paper on the back of the decal and spray the sticky surface of the decal. Now apply the wet decal to the wet car surface. You'll find that you can easily move the decal around to position it exactly where you want it. Apply a flat surfaced piece of plastic to the decal to get out any air bubbles. They make pieces just for this purpose. This wet application method makes it easy to get the decal where you want it and easy to remove the air bubbles. If, somehow, you mess up, just pull the wet decal off & start over. Once the decal is in place and with no bubbles, allow it to dry for several hours. Then, you're good to go. Here's a photo of my racecar with LOTS of decals:
http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm
Mr. B

Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
David993S is infamous around these parts
Another good alternative to Goo-Gone for removing any left over residue is 3M Adhesive Remover. It's very gentle and works great.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Mr. B........ decals are off. Goo Gone worked like a charm.

Thanks for the advice and giving me the courage to go through with it.

Car looks awesome now (not that it didnt before, but now awesomer!)

Old 03-20-2011, 05:18 PM
So,....

Mr. B........ decals are off. Goo Gone worked like a charm.

Thanks for the advice and giving me the courage to go through with it.

Car looks awesome now (not that it didnt before, but now awesomer!)

So, how difficult (or easy) was it??
Mr. B

Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Very easy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Want to remove decals............