Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New Michelin Super Sports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 PM
neuroguru is infamous around these partsneuroguru is infamous around these parts
New Michelin Super Sports

Anyone tried them yet?

They sound magic if you believe the hype.

Sound very Daft Punk / Kanye West over the top:

Stronger. Faster. Better. Longer. Cheaper.

Love to know before becoming a first-adopting lab-monkey. No insult intended to any of you who were test-tube babies, conceived by basic scientists while at work, or are, in fact, simian primates.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by neuroguru
Anyone tried them yet?

They sound magic if you believe the hype.

Sound very Daft Punk / Kanye West over the top:

Stronger. Faster. Better. Longer. Cheaper.

Love to know before becoming a first-adopting lab-monkey. No insult intended to any of you who were test-tube babies, conceived by basic scientists while at work, or are, in fact, simian primates.
Yeah, makes me curious how they can make those claims for a tire with a wear rating of 180

Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
The new super sport has a treadwear rating of 300
here are a few more reviews I found online:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/in...?topic=24893.0

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If they are anything like the PS2's they make lousy track tires. You wear the edges right through. They are probably the best street tires though.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
I am planning on a set

Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
One thing Michelin does well is marketing. They do a lot of promoting on this tire. I doubt I'd get one since PS2 has soft sidewalls that I hated. PSS will likely have the same feel.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlexN
The new super sport has a treadwear rating of 300
here are a few more reviews I found online:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/in...?topic=24893.0
300? Yieks, that makes it even less likely they will be able to compete with the mpsc on grip. I have tried a set of PS2's on my GT3 and absolutely hated them, way to hard and soft sidewalls. I'll wait for some feedback before trying a set.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Richie18 is infamous around these parts
There is a lot of factual information out there regarding the Super Sports. For some reason not much posted on here. Don't be quick to disregard the marketing, or be so quick to judge how they will perform. A regurgitation from people in the know is that these tires replace the old technology on the PS2 which is why they are able to last longer and provide more grip. They are not a MPSC replacement, more of a PS2 replacement in regards that they are better wet performers,but again newer technology, longer lasting, better stick, and cheaper put them into a category inbetween the PS2 and MPSC as of now. They should not be considered so much like the PS2, the PS2 may be a baseline of sorts, but this tire is a new tire. There have been more than a few Porsche owners trying them and one very descriptive account of a CGT owner trying them and he was very pleased with them.

Last edited by Richie18; 04-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I definitely need a set of PSS for my .2RS. I want to be able to drive it in the rain too...and it rains too much in Vancouver.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The size selection is terrible. As of now the biggest 18 they make in PSS is a 285.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM
jasebird is infamous around these parts
Yep.... no application for a 996 GT3.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Tire Rack speculated that it might be 1-2 years before the sizes we like on our 18" wheels become available (295-315 for the rears).

Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
nizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to all
Show a 997.2 3RS in your marketing but don't make a size to actually fit it. Nice.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...er-sport-tires

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Richie18
There is a lot of factual information out there regarding the Super Sports. For some reason not much posted on here. Don't be quick to disregard the marketing, or be so quick to judge how they will perform. A regurgitation from people in the know is that these tires replace the old technology on the PS2 which is why they are able to last longer and provide more grip. They are not a MPSC replacement, more of a PS2 replacement in regards that they are better wet performers,but again newer technology, longer lasting, better stick, and cheaper put them into a category inbetween the PS2 and MPSC as of now. They should not be considered so much like the PS2, the PS2 may be a baseline of sorts, but this tire is a new tire. There have been more than a few Porsche owners trying them and one very descriptive account of a CGT owner trying them and he was very pleased with them.
Michelin launched them in Dubai and the motoring press that attended got to drive lots of cars with the tire and its competitors. The new Super Sport got rave reviews. I'm going to be following what people have to say about this tire. It may be the next one I put on my GT3.
Mr. B

Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Not N rated, tells you something. I'll stick w cups.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Michelin Super Sports