Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Sequential Shifter...anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
according to the manufacturer, if electrics fail, you can still shift as normal but without the servo assist. just more force is required to make it happen.
i have over 20,000 miles on mine with no issues to date. that's alot of shifts.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 10GT3
according to the manufacturer, if electrics fail, you can still shift as normal but without the servo assist. just more force is required to make it happen.
i have over 20,000 miles on mine with no issues to date. that's alot of shifts.
I hope that is accurate about still being able to shift in the event of an electrical failure. If so, then thats great.

Of your 20,000 miles on your car's shifter, is there a lot of track time in that number? Have you ever needed a transmission syncro rebuild?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Update:

I scheduled the install to start on 9 May, 8 long days from now. They said to give them the car for three days. I will post my impressions as soon as I get it back. When I pick the car up I will have a 2 to 3 hour drive home in it, so that should be ample time to get a good feel for the set-up.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Drove the GT2 up and dropped it off at Piper Motorsport today. My friend I bought it from met me there to open the shop so I could put my car inside, and he arrived in his new 2011 GT2RS. He insisted that I drive it.....hard, so who was I to say no to such a demand. The GT2RS is a GREAT car. Just like most Porsches, it's all business, and serious business. The carbon fiber components are unmatched in quality, fit and finish. Power-wise, not a huge difference IMO from my 996 GT2, which is not stock, but I am sure on the track it would be more significant considering the lighter weight will make it go, stop, and turn more quickly. Any way you look at it, an amazing car.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 05-07-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Check it out!! Mitch from Piper Motorsport sent me this photo today of my GT2 with the shifter installed. It looks like a beautiful job! I cannot wait to pick the car up on Friday.

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Enjoy in good health.

-Troy

Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
trust me, you are going to love it.

and yes, there is quite a bit of track time in those 20,000 miles and no synchro issues.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 10GT3
trust me, you are going to love it.

and yes, there is quite a bit of track time in those 20,000 miles and no synchro issues.
+2.

I'll get one on my next car too.

-Troy

Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 PM
I drove the car home today from the shop. The shifter is baddass. It works so well I am surprised Porsche does not offer it as a factory option. Mitch, at the shop had nothing but great things to say about his experiences with these shifters. I wish there was a shop like Piper Motorsport around here where I live, and I didn't have to drive three hours to get over there to Sterling, but there is nothing even close to their level around here. The shift lever is bigger than it looks in pictures. It looks like a serious piece of hardware and works great. It is built to take it.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Told you it was all that and a bag of chips.

-Troy

Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Tim Kay is infamous around these parts
SFB, I've been lurking on this thread with great interest. I truly love sequential shift for I have a dog gear sequential trans in an off road car.

If you don't mind can you describe, specifically, your first impressions / feel of the 'throw'? Further than expected, shorter, just right? The appearance of the tall lever would seem to indicate a long throw if it's a mechanical action by way of a pivot point to engage each shift. Excuse my ignorance of the design.

Tim

Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Kay
SFB, I've been lurking on this thread with great interest. I truly love sequential shift for I have a dog gear sequential trans in an off road car.

If you don't mind can you describe, specifically, your first impressions / feel of the 'throw'? Further than expected, shorter, just right? The appearance of the tall lever would seem to indicate a long throw if it's a mechanical action by way of a pivot point to engage each shift. Excuse my ignorance of the design.

Tim
No problem. Maybe some of the others on here can give their impressions as well.

The throw is just about what I expected, not too long at all. It feels about perfect to me. Mitch said it is adjustable anyway. The force required to shift is slightly greater than a stock shifter, so it requires a positive but smooth amount of force. I am sure that accounts for the size/length of the lever. There is still a "feel" of the transmission, so different gears and RPM's are easier than others, and subsequently require slightly more, or less force. Upshifting has a very consistent feel. Regardless, it does not slam the transmission into the next gear, but moves it, with some feel to it.

The gear display is really cool. There are no wires or anything like that exposed, and the bright LED number-display looks totally race. I love it. A bright green LED comes on to confirm you are in neutral. I elected not to anodize the shift-lever black, but to leave it in it's original brushed aluminum finish. I am glad I did, because in the GT2 it matches perfectly the other tasteful brushed aluminum pieces in the ****pit.

That is all I can think of for now. If you have any other specific questions, just ask.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 05-14-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Tim Kay is infamous around these parts
Great description, just what I wanted to hear. Sold! Enjoy, I will be there with you soon.

By this description it sounds as if the "feel" is similar to shifting a standard box say 3rd to 4th and visa-versa (in a linear motion so to speak), throughout all six gears?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Kay
Great description, just what I wanted to hear. Sold! Enjoy, I will be there with you soon.

By this description it sounds as if the "feel" is similar to shifting a standard box say 3rd to 4th and visa-versa (in a linear motion so to speak), throughout all six gears?
Yes, similar, but definitely much more positive a shift than that. It's tight. It has an electro-magnetic servo that bolts to the side of your transmission that helps actuate the shift. It is a serious piece of hardware, and I think uses 50 amps.

Also, I would not pay SQS's online price of $6,900 (No offense SQS). I think you can find it for significantly less. On the other hand, this is no "do it yourself" install. It will be in the shop for two to three days, unless your car is already gutted for racing, so add that into the price.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 05-14-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
I'm loving this shifter! I understand the benefits with a tracked car; what about a street car? Any increase in the 0-60, 0-100 time? Is there a list anywhere of the US dealers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sequential Shifter...anyone?