Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Schroth Harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Schroth Harness

I was wondering if the 6 Point Schroth harnesses are comfortable enough for street use? Other than convenience, is there any reason NOT to have them for mainly this purpose?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 PM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
I have been using OMP seats and 4 Point Sabelts for at least 9 months, and I have never had any problems for street use. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
I use my shroth 6 point but bit concerned about whip lash

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
dsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive
I have been using OMP seats and 4 Point Sabelts for at least 9 months, and I have never had any problems for street use. Good luck!
are you back in NY yet? Time to meet up!!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Not yet buddy, things are always hectic around here, but fingers crossed Hope you are well!

Originally Posted by dsu*
are you back in NY yet? Time to meet up!!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you get into an accident (God forbid) then there is no issue... If you ever do wearing harness then it may put too much stress on your neck at impact.

Same reason you should wear Hans with your helmet & harness.

I have both harness and seat belts for track and street driving purposes. The seat belts are 2.5 lbs per side, let it stay in the car

Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sin911
Unless you get into an accident (God forbid) then there is no issue... If you ever do wearing harness then it may put too much stress on your neck at impact.

Same reason you should wear Hans with your helmet & harness.

I have both harness and seat belts for track and street driving purposes. The seat belts are 2.5 lbs per side, let it stay in the car
So you don't remove the stock belt when you install the 6pt harness? What do you do about the seat belt warning? Do you just latch it behind you?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
You don't have to remove it.

I believe the dealership can fix that. In my old C2S it was beeping when I got on the track,but after the engine was replaced it never did it... I guess the dealership shut it off.

And the GT3 doesn't do it either

Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
3 point for street
6 point for track

dealer can disable dash lights and air bags using piwis computer

Old 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
I also kept the factory seat belts when I installed my harness. On the street I use the factory belt + the lap belts of the harness (because I don't want the harness buckle dangling free). To keep the seat belt warning from going on when you use only the harness on the track, you can insert a dummy buckle piece into the factory seat belt receptacle. For example, see http://pkvista.com/TraqJunk/Index.html. You can get cheaper versions of the same type of thing on eBay (mostly from China).

Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM
996flt6 is infamous around these parts
U should never use 6 pt basal skull fracture ie high probability of death if u have a frontal collision. Mike

Old 04-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by jakegt3
I also kept the factory seat belts when I installed my harness. On the street I use the factory belt + the lap belts of the harness (because I don't want the harness buckle dangling free). To keep the seat belt warning from going on when you use only the harness on the track, you can insert a dummy buckle piece into the factory seat belt receptacle. For example, see http://pkvista.com/TraqJunk/Index.html. You can get cheaper versions of the same type of thing on eBay (mostly from China).
Just the information I was looking for! Thanks!! I ordered the harnesses today.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by 996flt6
U should never use 6 pt basal skull fracture ie high probability of death if u have a frontal collision. Mike
I am not sure what the deal is with that. I would like to hear more detailed information on this subject. By trade I am a helicopter pilot, and I have flown many types. Most have 5 point harnesses, and at a minimum, 4. When aircraft crash, there are tremendous G-forces generated, in a variety of possible directions. Additionally, there is an endless amount of meticulous, ongoing research about crash sequences and survivability. If a three point harness was in any way superior in a crash, I am sure the entire military would be using them to protect their million-dollar-pilots. I don't have much track experience, so I would love to hear the logic of track crashes versus road, and why a 5 or 6 point harness is hazardous on the street.

I also realize they are not DOT approved, but that is not the issue I am curious about.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
I am not sure what the deal is with that. I would like to hear more detailed information on this subject. By trade I am a helicopter pilot, and I have flown many types. Most have 5 point harnesses, and at a minimum, 4. When aircraft crash, there are tremendous G-forces generated, in a variety of possible directions. Additionally, there is an endless amount of meticulous, ongoing research about crash sequences and survivability. If a three point harness was in any way superior in a crash, I am sure the entire military would be using them to protect their million-dollar-pilots. I don't have much track experience, so I would love to hear the logic of track crashes versus road, and why a 5 or 6 point harness is hazardous on the street.

I also realize they are not DOT approved, but that is not the issue I am curious about.
Two risks with a full harness in a street car: Spinal compression and neck vulnerability. A three point restraint still allows some torso movement which protects your neck in a frontal impact or rollover. When your torso is locked in a harness, the neck becomes your weakest link. A better street solution is a CG Lock which holds your lap belt tight for better car control without the risks associated with a full comp harness.

I look at safety as a system: [3pt/CG lock/air bags] or [Cage/helmet/harness/hans]
Ultimately you must decide which system is best suited for your driving.

Schroth installation instructions with crash test data: http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the link and the response. I read the manufacturer's data. It looks like a lot of lawyer talk regarding liability. I found their actual crash data insufficient in specifics for a comparison of restraint systems versus crash scenarios and injuries. My understanding of one actual reason for not being street legal is because DOT requires all DOT approved seat belts to be released with a push-button release, I suppose because they assume police, and fire/rescue couldn't possibly be smart enough to figure out more than one type of seat belt release mechanism. My guess is this was written by someone with a background in State of Virginia government.

Anyway, my search for facts continues...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Schroth Harness