Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

6GT3 Track Seats Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM
jdrake is infamous around these parts
6GT3 Track Seats Help Needed

I am looking for seats for my 2004 GT3 to use with a harness and harness roll cage. The problem ... the stock GT3 seat is too narrow across my hip area. The linear distance measures 14.5 inches across and I need 16 inches to fit.

What are my choices if I want to track the car AND wear a harness? I would prefer to have the seats stay in the car, so looks are important. My existing seats are black leather with red stitching across the entire interior. Also, if I want an instructor to ride with me, I want to have the exact same setup on the passenger side.

I have to assume someone else has had the same issue. What was your solution? There may be a Recaro solution out there, but without trying the seat first, I would not be sure I fit. (Sort of like trying helmets on!)

Has anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area track their GT3 and have an alternative to the stock GT3 seats?

Any help would be appreciated as I know I will not be happy with a stock seatbelt for too many track sessions.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
OEM Euro GT3 seats unless those are what you're describing in your post now. I have a pair in mine and they are a bit tight, but I like them. Plenty of options with Recaro also. I really like their Pole Position model. There are also Sparco seats and Status too, plenty of options out there.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately, they were the OEM Euro's that I tried. I will check out the Recaros. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jdrake
Unfortunately, they were the OEM Euro's that I tried. I will check out the Recaros. Thanks.
Although I've never seen anyone put the 997 GT2 seats in a 996 you could try that route as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Although I've never seen anyone put the 997 GT2 seats in a 996 you could try that route as well.
They're heavier due to the airbag etc... but that's actually a good idea. They do feel a bit wider too. They'll fit right in.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Go down and see Mark at Ruf Auto Center , he is a racer and he can help you out.

He will have an understanding of a safe solution to what you need.

What ever you do.. Dont compromise the safety of the seat.. OEM or reputable company like Sparco or Recaro for seats.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 AM
LOL. Actually, it was after speaking with Mark at RUF that I started this thread. I had just left there after trying the GT3 seats he had for sale ...

Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Has anyone had any direct experience with the Recaro Sportster CS seat? The look is more along the lines of the GT3 seat without the wide top and it is wide enough in the hip (quads) area so it seems. Plus it looks nice enough to leave in the car for street driving as well. It can accomodate a 4-point harness, which I already have 2 of those.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
As I research, I get closer to defining exactly what I want in a seat.

1. Must recline

2. Must be leather as I drive the car on the street as well

3. Must be wide enough in the upper thigh area to accomodate myself. 6' 2", 250lbs. Measured a seat at RAC at 16" that fit well.

4. Am not too concerned with weight at this is only a DE car 3-4 times a year.

I have looked online at: Recaro Sportster CS and really like it, Sparco Milano Prestige, and the Cobra Misano L and 30 seats. From what I can tell the Recaro and Sparco seats both are 16" in the thigh bolster area, while the Cobra shows to be 15".

Anyone out there who can comment on any of these seats?

Anyone out there in the North Texas area who has one of these seats where I may come and sit in one to try out?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Worms is infamous around these parts
jdrake, i had the same issue and went with the Recaro Profi XL. Fits great. But they wont get you the recline and leather you wanted. They arent bad for in town driving though.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I dont know if you have checked out the CGT style seats but we have been installing them in 996 and 997 GT2/3s with nothing but FANTASTIC feedback... when paired with our roll bar it really is a fantastic setup!

Here are pictures of what I am referring to:

and the roll bar setup:

If you are interested please shoot me an email, david@fabspeed.com or give me a call at the shop 888-646-4945 and let me know you are a 6SO member, I will work out some great pricing for you! the seats come with Recaro sliders and main brackets. I understand these do not recline but once you sit in them I am confident you will be in love!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Jrdrake- Also check out Status seats. You can customize them to your specifications and they sure look great too.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Guessinthe2000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Jrdrake- Also check out Status seats. You can customize them to your specifications and they sure look great too.
True that

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
neuroguru is infamous around these partsneuroguru is infamous around these parts
If you would consider flame-retardant cloth (safer for track), you should consider Sparco Evos or Pro 2000.