Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mr. B
A few hundred miles on new tires are just for "breaking then in."
Let us know how you like them on the track.
Mr. B

I figured 200 miles or so would be enough to wear them in. 500 miles should let me make a decision, no?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
KYROCKS is infamous around these parts
It takes about 500 miles to wear away all the chemicals placed by factory. TireRack has a writeup about it on their site for breaking in tires. I would not make a final decision yet, but I do agree that they don't feel as sticky as the RE-11s and definitely not the MPSC (different category tire though).

Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
+1

Originally Posted by KYROCKS
It takes about 500 miles to wear away all the chemicals placed by factory. TireRack has a writeup about it on their site for breaking in tires. I would not make a final decision yet, but I do agree that they don't feel as sticky as the RE-11s and definitely not the MPSC (different category tire though).

+1
Mr. B

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Guys how would you compare vs the R888?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 AM
jshnyc is infamous around these partsjshnyc is infamous around these parts
Just had Pilot supersport tires put on the GT3 yesterday. After about a 30 mile ride home they felt awesome. Very similar in fact to the factory Cup tires. I'll be putting a few hundred miles on the car this weekend so I'll have a better impression after that.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by contigo
Guys how would you compare vs the R888?
I'd like to know too...in a track setting for grip and wear.

On the street the Super Sports have to be miles better than R888.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Not only would the super sports be much better for driving around town then the triple 8's, they have got to be much much better in the wet.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
went from the R888s to the PSS and very happy. nearly as much grip in dry, far more in wet, more forgiving on the street, and much quieter. I've put ~1200 miles on them already and couldn't be happier. I find myself wanting to put a set on my daily passat wagon lol.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I love mine! They are OE for the 458 Italia as well.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
I have about 2000 miles of street driving plus 3 track days on my PSS, which I installed about 2 months ago. One of the track days was in very rainy conditions. Wet performance is great. There was not even a hint of the tires breaking loose or hydroplaning in standing water. So far I'm very pleased with these on the track, considering they are street tires.

I've tried RE-050A before and the PSS have sharper steering response and feel less squishy on the track. On the street they ride a bit better. I can't really comment on the noise because the GT3 has lots of road noise no matter what tire is used.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:33 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Looks like several triple 8 users rating this tire above..... fact? think the edges of the tires will last? that was my reason why I would use toyos , no other tire would last specially on the corners of the tires, I run a set of 888 in 3000 miles tops

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I drive on my R888's to and from the track...about 95 miles each way. I really don't care how loud the R888 is on this drive on the street. What I care about is grip and longevity at the track.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
I drive on my R888's to and from the track...about 95 miles each way. I really don't care how loud the R888 is on this drive on the street. What I care about is grip and longevity at the track.
You hit the spot I dont care abput noise or anything else either, GRIP and longevity vs the R888s that is my question, anyone?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
I have nearly 4K miles on my first set of the super sports. I must admit I am pleasantly surprised at both the grip and wear aspect of there tires. I just drove 440 miles today, all northern ca and southern or back roads. I don't miss my Mpsc's at all, especially now that I have a new Guards LSD and a fresh alignment. I thing I may end up getting close to 8K out of the rears which will br over double of what I have been getting out of the Mpsc's so I'm pretty stoked!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Mkaaes is infamous around these parts
I've got about 3k miles on mine and they've been great. Good feel, good traction and comes with a mileage warranty. The edges do show quite a bit of wear already from mostly casual driving mixed with a few spirited runs on some curvey roads tho.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports