Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New GT3 (non RS)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^ agreed the entry level McLaren will put pressure on Porsche, Ferrari, entry level Lambo G, and Aston (who plan to beef up the performance in the Vantage, Virage, and DB series moving forth)

But I think Porsche will always offer a MT, they were bred on that setup it's part of their heritage...sure the will also offer a higer end SMG and all the bells and whistles their competitors offer BUT they will have an option for purists, they know that they have to cater to a certain following with the 911 even though they have a zillion variants right now they options list has, and I believe will have, the checkbox for a MT... fingers crossed!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Cbad308 has a spectacular aura aboutCbad308 has a spectacular aura about
Yes, time will tell. Personally, I hope Porsche will make a big jump in technology instead of their usual strategy of making incremental improvements and making you buy a new car every one or two years!

As much as Porsche would love to make incremental changes and throw out scraps here and there to the begging followers, I think the game may have changed with the introduction of the new Mclaren. I know the Mclaren is not in the same price range as the GT3, but they will be making a lower cost model that will put pressure on Porsche.

As for those of us that likes to row, we can always stick to the older models I guess.
I'm on the fence re: a 7.2 3RS and waiting for a 991-3RS which I can completely spec out to my desire (which I know is a good handful of years away). This purchase will stay with me forever as I'm not a "balla" like some folks in here that have a stable of P-cars to envy.

I want a track beast that I can road on occasion. The 991-3RS seems perfect and the 4.0 powerplant and alleged upgrades over the 7.2-3RS also make waiting a bit more palatable.

My one dilemma is I really want to row my gears and I fear that the 991-3RS will go PDK.

~A

Last edited by Cbad308; 06-03-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
On second thought, and as others have already mentioned, it would make more sense for Porsche to offer the manual transmission alongside the PDK transmission.

The only way that they would not offer the manual, would be if they think there simply would not be enough of a demand for it.

Personally, if both transmissions are offered, I would take the PDK. I would hate to do all the work of rowing the gears and doing the clutch and actually end up slower . But then, that is just me.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Cbad308 has a spectacular aura aboutCbad308 has a spectacular aura about
Personally, if both transmissions are offered, I would take the PDK. I would hate to do all the work of rowing the gears and doing the clutch and actually end up slower . But then, that is just me.
Thanks for all the info. It goes without saying that the PDK is capable of faster laptimes than a Manual and always will be. I personally still enjoy the feel of rowing even if it is slower. I'm planning on going to some track days and maybe some Auto-X events and I know I'll be giving up some time to a PDK tranny. Nevertheless, the envelope of the 3RS is greater than mine as a driver. I'll freely admit that the MT will not be my hinderance for laptimes. When the time comes I'll take a spin in a PDK just to reinforce my current position. Who knows what might happen by then in terms of my tranny decision.

~Andy

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Originally Posted by Cbad308
Thanks for all the info. It goes without saying that the PDK is capable of faster laptimes than a Manual and always will be. I personally still enjoy the feel of rowing even if it is slower. I'm planning on going to some track days and maybe some Auto-X events and I know I'll be giving up some time to a PDK tranny. Nevertheless, the envelope of the 3RS is greater than mine as a driver. I'll freely admit that the MT will not be my hinderance for laptimes. When the time comes I'll take a spin in a PDK just to reinforce my current position. Who knows what might happen by then in terms of my tranny decision.

~Andy
I will admit also that if I can really consistently do a proper and smooth heel-and-toe, it might be worth it and rewarding to stick to the manual.

Unfortunately, I have a very hard time doing this and end up improvising to match the revs which is not very ideal. PDK will take care of that problem

Old 06-04-2011, 10:29 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jlee
I will admit also that if I can really consistently do a proper and smooth heel-and-toe, it might be worth it and rewarding to stick to the manual.

Unfortunately, I have a very hard time doing this and end up improvising to match the revs which is not very ideal. PDK will take care of that problem
Have you looked at Rennline pedals? They may solve your problem with heel-and-toe

Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Depending on the durability of the new engines it's very possble that the GT1 powered Metzger engined cars could become very desirable down the road. It has proven to be an anvil of an engine in all it's iterations. Normally Aspirated or Turbo.

Does anyone know if Porsche has plans to unify the engine development going forward? I hope not! The last thing I'd want to see is a hopped up boxster motor in the GT cars... People who really know Porches love them because of the extreme over-engineering everywhere. From the body panels to the seats,

What's the current lineup of normally aspirqated GT cars? I thought you can buy a 3.8 GT3, a 3.8 GT3RS and a 4.0 GT3 RS.. is that not accurate?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 AM
A10ACN is infamous around these parts
The standard GT3 is sold out. The GT3RS 4.0 should be coming off the line now or very shortly. Don't know the status of the GT3RS 3.8. My assumption was it was replaced by the RS 4.0, but the assistant didn't say so much when I was there last weekend. I didn't specifically ask, though.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
Have you looked at Rennline pedals? They may solve your problem with heel-and-toe
I already have aftermarket aluminum pedals that do make it easier to heel-and-toe. Maybe I just need to practice more...

Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
For 250K the twin turbo McLaren would be tough choice vs. a GT2RS

Yes, time will tell. Personally, I hope Porsche will make a big jump in technology instead of their usual strategy of making incremental improvements and making you buy a new car every one or two years!

As much as Porsche would love to make incremental changes and throw out scraps here and there to the begging followers, I think the game may have changed with the introduction of the new Mclaren. I know the Mclaren is not in the same price range as the GT3, but they will be making a lower cost model that will put pressure on Porsche.

As for those of us that likes to row, we can always stick to the older models I guess.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
I already have aftermarket aluminum pedals that do make it easier to heel-and-toe. Maybe I just need to practice more...

It's not the easiest to heel toe the new Mk2 GT3's on the street and if you have ceramic brakes, I have heard it is even more difficult. But, when you are on the track, heal toe is pretty seamless and natural.