Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Toasted my ceramic discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 PM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
Toasted my ceramic discs

I bought a 7GT3 2 months ago, sold my 996T to get it. Got it with the ceramic brakes. Bought the Porsche green pads for use on the track, and used them this week at Road America.

Had them checked by the Midwest Eursport guys Saturday, and they showed me the wear circles, (they called them), on the rear discs. Said they were toast, SO I want to replace with steel, anyone know what steel discs will work with the Porsche yellow calipers for the ceramic disks or do I need to replace everything?

If you sell the parts please feel free to PM me info and pricing I need it back together in 2 weeks for the next track day.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
How many miles were on the car if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I bought it with 9800 it now has 10900.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Brembo, performance Friction make discs that will fit.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Did the previous owner do any events on the ceramics? I've done multiple events on my ceramics and haven't noticed anything that would suggest they need replacing soon. I currently have 88xx miles.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The circles do not necessarily indicate that the rotors need replacement. While they are indicators of wear, they can be seen even on new vehicles. My GT2 has less than 2500 miles, and the circles are there. The only guidelines I know of are:

Last edited by bbywu; 05-29-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
MartinD is infamous around these parts
I replaced mine with Brembo slotted rotors. There are cheaper options out there...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
That sounds like very low miles to have damaged the rotors. Do you think it was the specific pads that caused the issue?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 AM
brim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura about
Call the guys at Road Sport Supply (RSS). They can set you up with the giro disc kit as a direct replacement rotor. You keep the Porsche calipers and swap out the pads, hats, and rotors.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
NSX 3.0 has a spectacular aura aboutNSX 3.0 has a spectacular aura about
I think I met you Friday...this your car?

Attached Images   
Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by NSX 3.0
I think I met you Friday...this your car?
Yeah that's me, what were you driving?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Did the previous owner do any events on the ceramics? I've done multiple events on my ceramics and haven't noticed anything that would suggest they need replacing soon. I currently have 88xx miles.
I was told that he tracked but not extensively.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
The circles do not necessarily indicate that the rotors need replacement. While they are indicators of wear, they can be seen even on new vehicles. My GT2 has less than 2500 miles, and the circles are there. The only guidelines I know of are:

Thanks! I am going to go get a second opinion before replacing. Also to the other responses, thank you for info on the steel rotors. Even if these do last a few more track days sooner or later I'll replace with the steel, and probably Pagid Yellow.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m3995
Thanks! I am going to go get a second opinion before replacing. Also to the other responses, thank you for info on the steel rotors. Even if these do last a few more track days sooner or later I'll replace with the steel, and probably Pagid Yellow.
There's another way to think of it....which is what prompts a large portion of the conversions we do from PCCB to steel rotors.

When you go to re-sell the car, if you've worn out your PCCB rotors, they'll cost you about $18k to replace. Yes, $18k! Since the car was spec'ed with PCCB, you might lose some resale value by not having them on the car if you replace with steel at that time.

So what most of our customers do is replace the PCCB's with steel when they're still fresh and new. That way when it comes time to sell the car, you've got nice new PCCB rotors to put back on there.

Many people also like the braking feel of steel rotors over PCCB's (myself included).

Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 AM
reebokzed is infamous around these parts
i just had my brembo PCCB replacement installed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toasted my ceramic discs