Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rear-Engine v Mid-Engine Comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Rear-Engine v Mid-Engine Comparo

If you haven't seen the article in C&D, here's a brief video documenting the 'tests'. Bottom-Line: Porsche has proven that rear-engined cars can handle as good (if not better) than mid-engined ones.

Let the Rear v Mid debate begin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPh4XaU1H0

Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
home7271 is infamous around these parts
Everything else being equal, laws of physics say mid engine is a better set up. But not everything else is equal....

Porsche makes great sports cars and they are equally great in marketing their products. It's all a matter of personal preference, I think.

In my case, 911 always.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Would love to see that test done with the same tires on both cars.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
dan1423 is infamous around these partsdan1423 is infamous around these parts
This is a tough comparo, I dont really see how you can compare two cars that have a 105 HP difference. They should have ran a base carrera and the cayman R or down the road the 918 vs the GT2RS...I love both cars either way and what I will give the GT3 here is that it outperformed the cayman in low speed tests which favor the smaller displacement. At the same time there is also a reason why the 987 models are capped off at 330HP, Porsche isnt dumb, it's also no coincedence that their supercars are midengine (CGT and 918). Anyway the way I see this is if you go for a P car youre winning anyway you go, they truly are drivers cars.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
same tires, and same tires size ... not a fair comparo...

Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Fairness is a rather meaningless concept when comparing two very different cars that sell at very different price points and are designed to serve different market niches. Comparing cars like the Mustang and Camaro, which are direct competitors to each other, makes more sense than comparing the Cayman and GT3. The GT3, as designed by Porsche, is much more track-oriented than the Cayman, so it should hardly come as a surprise that it outperforms the Cayman. The Cayman is a much better street car, which people overlook in these comparisons.

Rear-engined cars do have their advantages in high-performance driving. The rear-weight bias gives them an advantage in exiting fast corners and in hard braking. The mid-engined cars handle quick transitional maneuvers, like chicanes, more naturally.

Let's realize that these magazine articles are really just entertainment for the readers (most of whom will never drive cars like these). Anyone who thinks they determine the absolute "truth" is going to be disappointed.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jakegt3
The Cayman is a much better street car, which people overlook in these comparisons.
I'm not sure about this.

I'm driving a Cayman loaner right now. Good performance for its price, but definitely not better than a GT3 (or any 911) on the street.

Being mid-engine, noise in the cabin bothers me sometimes. Inside room is a bit cramped in comparison. Main issue I have is the position of the dead pedal. I cannot find a comfortable position to put my left foot.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I'm not sure about this.

I'm driving a Cayman loaner right now. Good performance for its price, but definitely not better than a GT3 (or any 911) on the street.

Being mid-engine, noise in the cabin bothers me sometimes. Inside room is a bit cramped in comparison. Main issue I have is the position of the dead pedal. I cannot find a comfortable position to put my left foot.
I suppose I should qualify what I mean about the Cayman being a better street car. I used to own a Cayman S and on the street, it has a much more comfortable ride, is much quieter in normal cruising, doesn't have the low front-end clearance issues of the GT3, has more cargo carrying capacity, and doesn't call attention to itself like the GT3 does (I don't crave the attention). I know some people feel the Cayman is cramped inside, but I never felt that way at all (although I'm not a big person physically).

Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
... Bottom-Line: Porsche has proven that rear-engined cars can handle as good (if not better) than mid-engined ones. ...
But many of us knew that all along. Even though to be fair they should have installed MSC in the R.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I think C&D was just looking for an excuse to test both of these cars at once...because we all know there isn't really any fair comparison when you talk about the price and power differences between the two. I'm sure there are some people who have the money for a GT3 but buy a CaymanR, but it's probably a small percentage of them.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jakegt3
I suppose I should qualify what I mean about the Cayman being a better street car. I used to own a Cayman S and on the street, it has a much more comfortable ride, is much quieter in normal cruising, doesn't have the low front-end clearance issues of the GT3, has more cargo carrying capacity, and doesn't call attention to itself like the GT3 does (I don't crave the attention). I know some people feel the Cayman is cramped inside, but I never felt that way at all (although I'm not a big person physically).
Fair enough John.

I'll have your GT3 over any Cayman variants any day, anywhere.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Would love to see that test done with the same tires on both cars.
Plus 11 on that. Tires are the difference