GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Trailer options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011 | 12:44 PM
|
waflnutz is infamous around these parts
Trailer options

I have a 2007 GT3RS. What are best trailer brand options that accomodate the low car clearance (ride height) for entry/exit from trailer? require ramps to...to load or do some trailers work off the shelf?

Anyone have a combination trailer that works for snowmobiles and cars? pros/cons?

any experience sharing would be great. thanks!

Old 07-19-2011 | 12:51 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold
People go crazy for Trailex. They are nice and quite expensive. I just bought a used Featherlite and I love it. Very easy to use and load. They are also pricey but not as much as Trailex and almost as light.

Whatever you get you will probably need to buy Race Ramps as well. I bought the TR-5s, which is what a lot of people use, and they are perfect for the GT3.

Old 07-19-2011 | 12:59 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Cool

Originally Posted by waflnutz
I have a 2007 GT3RS. What are best trailer brand options that accomodate the low car clearance (ride height) for entry/exit from trailer? require ramps to...to load or do some trailers work off the shelf?

Anyone have a combination trailer that works for snowmobiles and cars? pros/cons?

any experience sharing would be great. thanks!
ill be tuning into this thread as i am also curious about a trailer meeting those same needs.. :] LOVE ur avatar by the way !

Old 07-19-2011 | 01:12 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
There are a lot of great companies. You want a mid or high quality unit that offers a nice warranty. Any of the compaies offer longer extensions on the entry door to allow easier access for lower cars. My deck offers a 16 inch folding flap and I can get in with no problem but you can get 24-36 inch flap if neccessary. Usually you can drive right on in.

Like others said, the Porsche forum peeps love Trailex but it is more expensive. My unit weighs 4000lbs dry and the similar Trailex is only 600lbs lighter but over 2X the price. Pace, Hallmark, Bendron, Continental Cargo are all good brands.

I have a 2011 Bendron Titan 24ft V nose for sale now because I need a bigger one! A lot of bang for the buck with a 6 year warranty.

Here is an example of the ramp and additional folding extension. At the bottom of the ramp you will see the extension. Standard is usually 12 inches but can be 16, 24, or 36 so you get a flatter angle of approach. My car is lowered and I can drive right in with the 16 inch extension. For your GT3RS I would say the 24 inch extension is plenty.

Last edited by Doc GTO; 07-19-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2011 | 01:55 PM
|
once car is inside the trailer, how high can the wheel well be and still clear under you gt3 driver door if opened?

Old 07-20-2011 | 07:43 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by waflnutz
once car is inside the trailer, how high can the wheel well be and still clear under you gt3 driver door if opened?
This is a great thing about 911s and its rear mounted motor. To get the correct tongue weight it has to come up so far that the door is in front of the trailer's inner fender. I would say that I usually have the car positioned where I get about 2-3 fingers of space between the door edge and fender when opened. You also has options of getting "ramp-overs" inside where your car sits above the fenders but with the 911 this is a waste of money.

Old 07-20-2011 | 10:36 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
TPD trailers are nice

Old 07-21-2011 | 03:11 AM
Niels E46 M3 is infamous around these parts
for towing the gt3 to/from the track, we use an open trailer with a wind fairing, which is designed to lower in order to drive onto with low cars (gt3)
http://kwikload.com/

We only use the enclosed trailer for the race car, etc.

Old 07-21-2011 | 04:49 AM
DM1
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
I've always removed the front chin spoiler on my 07 GT3 RS before loading the car onto the trailer. It has two small screws and then just snaps on/ off. Best way to protect it. Also see if you can winch the car in, driving it on the trailer can kill the clutch over time. (You can get a cheap winch for about $100 from Costco or Harbor Freight and then just need a good battery)

As for trailers look into a Featherlite, I have an enclosed and love it.

Good Luck

Last edited by DM1; 07-21-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2011 | 06:44 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
First thing that needs to be answered is enclosed or open trailer...what type of tow vehicle do you have. If you opt for an open, I would suggest a featherlite 3110 and some Race Ramps ( contact Fred for help on selecting proper ones for your needs ). The only thing you will need to add is a tire rack and I had a custom one made that would hold two sets of tires ( most will not so double check before you buy ). If you go with an enclosed there are tons of options but do consider weight and your tow vehicle as this is a big investment.

Old 07-21-2011 | 07:59 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
TPD trailers are nice
what do you know about TPD

Old 07-25-2011 | 11:14 PM
|
great info guys.

i seek an enclosed to replace my totaled snowmobile trailer.

i don't know anything about tpd. look nice, but wrong application.

remember guys...i would prefer a combination trailer like Triton or MTI or RC make....to run 4 mtn snowmobiles/atvs when i want and trailer GT3RS to track when i want. 2 trailers is waste of money and space in my mind. Sacrifes every where...but just looking for the best combo trailer at this stage.

std car trailers won't do...no front v-nose ramp is primary issue for snowmobiles...and fender wells on trailer to high is possible issue for porsche.

Any other leads?

Old 07-26-2011 | 11:07 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
I sell a lot of RR-TR-5 ramps to Porsche owners who trailer their cars. We also offer a Progressive Incline RLL-89-2 service ramp with optional trailer ramp adapters. The Trailer Ramp Adapters convert the incline section of the RLL-89-2 ramps into a trailer ramp that has a 4 degree initial incline like the RR-TR-5 but has a height closer to the RR-TR-7 ramp.

How much would this setup cost. I need something lower and more gradual than the usual.

Old 07-26-2011 | 09:51 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mooty
what do you know about TPD
I know they pull well - about 2500 miles on mine (yours) since I picked it up

:-)

Old 07-27-2011 | 03:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
The RLL-89-2 service ramps are $415 including delivery to the 48 Continental States. The Trailer Ramp Adapters with a nominal 2" step are $85 including shipping.

We can make custom Trailer Ramp Adapters if necessary to accommodate various trailer ramp or door thicknesses. For example, one customer has a set up with a 4.5" step and then he added some boards to the path in front of the tires so that the splitter would have more clearance in the middle of the trailer door.

I have a spreadsheet that graphs the path of your front bumper over the shape of the ramps. Send me your e-mail address if you want a copy.

A buddy of mine has some race ramps and I'm going to try them out next weekend to see if what he has will work. From the sound of the dimensions it's the TR-5's, I will see how close I am with those and then place an order accordingly.

I'm sick of spending 30-45 extra minutes at the beginning of each event putting on my splitter and 15 extra minutes taking it off. I'd much rather spend 5 extra minutes getting the whole car with splitter on/off the trailer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trailer options