Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New Trailer for my 997.1 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
No problem. They come in red too
Ordered. Now all I need to find are those hook straps. On it!
Get Mac tiedowns - they are supppsed to be the best. And get the proper length - buy them AFTER you get tow hooks cause length will be different than going thre wheels, and they recommend 3 or so turns of fabric through ratchet.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drl
Agree with tow hooks. Opinions go both ways on this but I got the rennline tow hooks. Guys who prefer wheel tiedowns also say their wheels never get scratched but i don't see how this is possible after a track day when the wheels are filthy.

I just spent an hour acid washing my trailer to get it lookin more like yours!
Nice! Pics!?

I already towed the car on a different trailer using the wheel tie downs and had no problem. I placed microfiber cloths between the wheel and the strap. No scratches...

Hmmm... Now I'm conflicted.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by drl
. I placed microfiber cloths between the wheel and the strap. No scratches...

Hmmm... Now I'm conflicted.
Yes but your wheels were clean then i imagine. Doesnt matter if you use a microfiber towel or the soft wheel strap made by Mac - still going to get scratched with all that grit on there after a track day.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
[quote=drl;3267421]

Yes but your wheels were clean then i imagine. Doesnt matter if you use a microfiber towel or the soft wheel strap made by Mac - still going to get scratched with all that grit on there after a track day.
Understood... Just makes me a little uneasy with just wire hooks holding onto those tie down plates... I'd feel better if I could use my snap hooks. I know it shouldn't be an issue if they are tight, just the psychological aspect, I guess...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:25 PM
drl
One more thing... FL recommends securing fenders cause they WILL get stolen and they say if trailer gets a bad flat the flapping tire can launch the fender. Wouldnt want to see that fender make contact with the car at freeway speeds!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Good point... need to figure that one out. Will look at configuration of the fender and will find a way to positively secure for both purposes. Thanks again for the heads up! I'm new to this (as you can see).

Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM
drl
Ha! Yeah, you probably shouldn't be listening to a word I say - I'm a total noob with trailering. Learning from the ground up from all sorts of good advice here and on Rennlist, and from the guy I bought the trailer from.

I will be buying these tie downs to use with the Rennline tow hooks:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/111/TieDowns

And these for the front end to allow the car to be placed farther forward on the trailer (reduces strap length so ratchet isn't under front end):
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/173/TieDowns

Eventually I'll probably drill a hole through some point where fender and trailer connect and secure with some type of lock. This is what the guy at FL recommended but I wasn't clear on exactly what he was talking about. Passenger side can be bomber cause it never needs to come off, whereas driver side should be easy to lock/unlock and remove.

I'm such a dork - jealous of how shiny clean your trailer is! Mine is actually in great shape, but yours is beautiful..... I'm going out again tmrw to scrub mine down!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM
ahhhh... It's just cause it's new... Give it a year in the Florida sun and I'm sure oxidation will settle in. And with aluminum, it's not such a bad thing.

I'll see what I can figure out on securing the fender.

Thanks again!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Sebaflex is infamous around these parts
transformers sticker ?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM
24Chromium is infamous around these parts
Congrats anotherswordfis, sweet set-up. Love the mix-n-match between vendors. You're very crafty! Kinda like McGyvier.

Do you plan on adding a winch?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 PM
drl
Originally Posted by anotherswordfis
Nice! Pics!?
Well, since you asked.....

Went OFF on the thing this afternoon, and now it's pretty damn clean!

Not the best photos, but much shinier/cleaner than before. I used the "Aluminum Bright" cleaner that FL sells.

Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by drl
Well, since you asked.....

Went OFF on the thing this afternoon, and now it's pretty damn clean!

Not the best photos, but much shinier/cleaner than before. I used the "Aluminum Bright" cleaner that FL sells.
Very nice! What is that you have along the sides? Some type of carpeting?

And no winch... yet. But now that you mention it...

After going to see Transformers 3 with my 11 year old son, he said that if the car were a Transformer, it would be an Autobot... Well, why not have fun. Right? You should see kids faces when they see it... Worth it, just for that!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drl
One more thing... FL recommends securing fenders cause they WILL get stolen and they say if trailer gets a bad flat the flapping tire can launch the fender. Wouldnt want to see that fender make contact with the car at freeway speeds!
I had a fender "launch" when a tire let go. I have added TPMS to the trailer now. It could have been very bad! Fenders cost $400.00 to replace.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by jurnes
I had a fender "launch" when a tire let go. I have added TPMS to the trailer now. It could have been very bad! Fenders cost $400.00 to replace.
What kind of TPMS did you get? How much of a heads up would it have given you? I would imagine that there are some catastrophic failures that could take place even with TPMS.

How does FL recommend securing the fenders in addition to the spring pressured connectors? Does anyone have any pics of how they've done that?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
trailer TPMS

I had an issue with cracking rubber valve stems. TPMS would have shown the leak down at even a fast rate, which would have given me time to pull off the freeway before the tire was destroyed. It would have just been a routine flat tire.

Brand I bought was Dill. Bought from the Tire Rack.

I considered a TPMS that would have done my entire rig: Dually and the trailer, but figured that I can feel tire issues in the truck, so just the trailer.

Last edited by jurnes; 07-25-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling error

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Trailer for my 997.1 GT3 RS