Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New Trailer for my 997.1 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anotherswordfis
What kind of TPMS did you get? How much of a heads up would it have given you? I would imagine that there are some catastrophic failures that could take place even with TPMS.

How does FL recommend securing the fenders in addition to the spring pressured connectors? Does anyone have any pics of how they've done that?
Flite recommends bolts through the fender flange that fits over the vertical lip of the trailer on the passenger side, and perhaps a pull pin or two on the driver side, where you have to have some degree of ease of removal to get in and out of the car when on the trailer.

I have not done the anti-theft mod yet.

I am working on finishing my tire rack, Race Ramp storage and a tow receiver type of winch mount.

I am using MAC tie downs. I mounted 5' E tracks where the front tires go, and am using the dragster over the wheel straps. This allows securing the front wheels without strap interference which is an issue with how little ground clearance the front of the Porsche has. For the rear of the car I am securing through the wheels using MAC super soft strap covers.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by jurnes; 07-25-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 AM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jurnes
Flite recommends bolts through the fender flange that fits over the vertical lip of the trailer on the passenger side, and perhaps a pull pin or two on the driver side, where you have to have some degree of ease of removal to get in and out of the car when on the trailer.

I am working on finishing my tire rack, Race Ramp storage and a tow receiver type of winch mount.

I am using MAC tie downs. I mounted 5' E tracks where the front tires go, and am using the dragster over the wheel straps. This allows securing the front wheels without strap interference which is an issue with how little ground clearance the front of the Porsche has. For the rear of the car I am securing through the wheels using MAC super soft strap covers.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Awesome information! Thank you!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
trailers

I have been working on my trailer tire rack/RaceRamp storage. I will get some pictures out soon.

Another issue that has not been brought up in the thread: Trailer tongue weight. Ideally the trailer should have about 10% of the NET trailer/items weight on the hitch ball. The best way to get this right is to buy or borrow a tongue scale.

It makes a big difference when its right, even with a dually.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold

I was just out doing some work on my trailer (installing new fender latches that had been broken) and was thinking about ways to secure the fenders against theft and accidental dislodging while driving.

On the underside of the fenders, there is a diagonal bar which offers support to the fender. The latch attached to that bar connects with a plate which is attached to the trailer and is hollow (that is, open such that you could pass a cable through). Why not just secure the fender here with perhaps a short cable lock (or some such device), through the plate and around the fender support bar? No extra drilling needed.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
I solved the problem with 4 holes and 4 locks...

Security and highway safety solved.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold
Very nice! I think that is exactly what I am going to go as well. I bought that exact lock set for the ramps.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Trailers

Good idea on the trailer security issue (locks though the stand-off plate).

I promised pictures, so I will try to upload them.

The raceramps I have are part #RRTR5

I am just about done with the mods on my Flite trailer (Pictures attached):

-aluminum tire rack
-E track hold downs for the front of the car
-spare tire mount
- 2" tow hitch receiver winch mount
-race jack mount
-storage for 4 5 gal track fuel cans.
-RaceRamp Storage

Note: I tried, but I don't have the "skills" needed to move pictures from my desktop to the forum!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 PM
drl
Done!

Did you have to drill much larger holes through the trailer plate to get the lock fed through? Or perhaps your locks are smaller than mine?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
drl

Note: I tried, but I don't have the "skills" needed to move pictures from my desktop to the forum!
You don't know how to load them, or loading failed (f the latter, you may need to resize pics)? 'Cause I'd love to see those photos!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Since you are chatting about fl open trailers I thought I would share some pics of my former one with storage and tire rack - it worked well and the guy I bought it from had the box and rack custom made
Race ramps, tools, chairs etc all fit in the box and it provided good protection from tow vehicle road debris

Thought it might give you guys some ideas

And FWIW I never secured my fenders with anything other than the standard latches and never had an issue in 1000s of miles of towing - but to be honest it never dawned on me. I was however advised to lock the trailer ramp door flaps on the back which I did.

Name:  e97670b5.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  Nancyscamera043.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  157.3 KB

Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
trailer pictures

Originally Posted by drl
You don't know how to load them, or loading failed (f the latter, you may need to resize pics)? 'Cause I'd love to see those photos!
I just get frustrated w/computer issues. I'll figure it out or have one of my kids up-load the pictures for me.

I'll take pictures of how well the E track works with the low/no clearance issue securing the front of the 911 also.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
drl
That's a nice setup. What is that bolted to the front of the trailer, in front of the storage box?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drl
That's a nice setup. What is that bolted to the front of the trailer, in front of the storage box?
Reese dual cam weight distribution anti sway hitch equipment

Came with the trailer - not sure it is necessary but was nice to have

Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Pictures are to large to post. sorry. The FAQ's regarding how to up load pctures is written for persons who would already know how to do what is being asked in the FAQ. Same old computer story: some know how some do not.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 PM
drl
Ha! It is easy to resize photos. Someone with computer skills can show you how.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Trailer for my 997.1 GT3 RS