Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CGT misfiring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Carmel is infamous around these parts
CGT misfiring

After 1600 mi of beautiful driving the "Check Engine" light came on.

Typically I ignore this (in other cars) as it is often times is secondary to minor emission iproblems re air in gas, loose gas cap, etc. The manual even states this. The manual does state that if the "Check engine" light is FLASHING then the catylitic coverter and other engine parts can become damaged, therefore stop the vehicle and have it serviced immediately.

Mind you, I decided to bring the car in (Jim Ellis in Atlanta) for a quick evaluation. as I was in the area. Their initial assessment is that 9/10 cylinders are misfiring; cause unknown. In speaking to the only tech who works on CGT's it's the first time he's seen this and the 'Check engine light " did start FLASHING midway through his evaluation.

An analysis and fix is in order, hopefully by mid-week. I'm disheartened for obvious reasons, but also was going to drive the CGT to the Porsche GT Grand Prix at Road Atlanta this weekend

But more importantly wanted to let you guys know that the mundane "check engine" light in the CGT probably is more ominous and warrants immediate attention if it comes on flashing or not.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CGT misfiring

Originally posted by Carmel
In speaking to the only tech who works on CGT's it's the first time he's seen this and the 'Check engine light " did start FLASHING midway through his evaluation.
keep us updated. i don't know how many GTs he has worked on but for sure not that many. i've never heard of this issue from few GT owners that have more miles than u so this is sure new to me.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:36 AM
3.6TT/2 = 1.8T
Kraftwerk is infamous around these partsKraftwerk is infamous around these parts
Same thing happened to me just last week, granted it's not a CGT but thought I'd shed some light, you might already know this.(my CEL stays on always so it was hard for me to see when the problem started). It starts out with some random misfires under heavy load that progressively get worse, CEL does not flash at this point. As you drive longer or harder the unburnt fuel from the misfires gets dumped into the exhaust and gets burned up in the catalytic converter, taking it to extreme temps and this throws the flashing CEL. Same thing happened with me and it came to the point where I was only on 1 or 2 cylinders at a time, boy was that a fun drive over to the shop.

Turned out to be dead ignition coils. Cylinders 1 and 3 were the main problem but I went ahead and got number 4 replaced as well because number 2 had been replaced just a few months before. Don't know how this might relate to a CGT but seemed like a similar scenario. Keep us updated.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Kraftwerk, thanks for the info, the scenario described sounds like the initial impression the tech had also. The tech at Jim Ellis is specifically trained, flew to Germany etc, etc, to deal with the CGT and is the only one allowed to drive and touch these cars at the dealership. Sounds like Porsche doesn't want any BS going on with this car.

I feel Porsche is tracking the development and customer satisfaction (or exclusivity) of this type of customer. They sent me a beautifully framed limited edition of an original sketch "penned by Grant Larson" the design chief initially involved in the project (Probably for future reference or development Q/A.

Will keep everyone posted.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:03 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Carmel
Kraftwerk, thanks for the info, the scenario described sounds like the initial impression the tech had also. The tech at Jim Ellis is specifically trained, flew to Germany etc, etc, to deal with the CGT and is the only one allowed to drive and touch these cars at the dealership. Sounds like Porsche doesn't want any BS going on with this car.

I feel Porsche is tracking the development and customer satisfaction (or exclusivity) of this type of customer. They sent me a beautifully framed limited edition of an original sketch "penned by Grant Larson" the design chief initially involved in the project (Probably for future reference or development Q/A.

Will keep everyone posted.
did it look like this :-)

Old 04-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Cs 911 is infamous around these parts
Hey Carmel, you weren't at the 12 hours of Sebring, were you?

Sorry to hear about the problem...It breaks my heart to know that a car like that is having problems...

Old 04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Ben, that's the sketch. I like it.

Cs 911, I wasn't at Sebring. Went to the Road Atlanta Grand Prix today though. Awesome group of cars there; the CGT exhuast note is right in there. I was at the AXA Advisors tent. Unfortunately the driver Jon Groom had a mishap when someone from the Cadillac race team cut him off and damaged his vehicle during an earyly morning event. He couldn't race in the Grand Prix.

Re the minor problem with the CGT, I'm not perturbed at all , as long a Porsche addresses it promptly (4yr/50K mi warranty

Will keep everyone posted as things unfold.

Last edited by Carmel; 04-18-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Battery15 is infamous around these partsBattery15 is infamous around these partsBattery15 is infamous around these parts
I saw you driving your car last Saturday on Peachtree Rd. It's awesome!