Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Flat !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Flat !!!

Was up at Summit point yesterday having a ball instructing for the BMW CCA. This morning, got up early to head for day two. On the road my tire monitor lit up and showed the air in the right rear RAPIDLY going down to zero.
Had to park on the side of the road and I called Porsche. They sent a guy in a very hightech wrecker who took great pains to get the car loaded into his enclosed wrecker/rollback. Left the car at Porsche of Arlington as they aren't opened on Sundays.

The thing is I NEVER had a tire go flat as quickly. Also, never had one go to zero PSI either.
The tires are the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's.

Thoughts/Comments??

TIA,
Mr. B

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Sounds like a split which could cause rapid deflation, rather than a nail. On my last set of PS2's I found a split in the sidewall of one of the rears about 6 inches long. Didn't lose any air before I found it, but could have been bad had it let go.

Last edited by landjet; 08-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Was up at Summit point yesterday having a ball instructing for the BMW CCA. This morning, got up early to head for day two. On the road my tire monitor lit up and showed the air in the right rear RAPIDLY going down to zero.
Had to park on the side of the road and I called Porsche. They sent a guy in a very hightech wrecker who took great pains to get the car loaded into his enclosed wrecker/rollback. Left the car at Porsche of Arlington as they aren't opened on Sundays.

The thing is I NEVER had a tire go flat as quickly. Also, never had one go to zero PSI either.
The tires are the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's.

Thoughts/Comments??

TIA,
Mr. B

About 3weeks ago on a drive in the mountain area, my right rear had the same. Yellow warning turned to red VERY fast. So fast that once I stopped I could hear the air coming out. From that point it was FlatbedCity for me. (I tried the Porsche repair liquid, which was pointless as the hole was much larger). I think I will carry some of the slime with rubber contents in the future versus a pure liquid.

But long-story-short, it was on the stock MPSCs, and not a fun day at all.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
About 3weeks ago on a drive in the mountain area, my right rear had the same. Yellow warning turned to red VERY fast. So fast that once I stopped I could hear the air coming out. From that point it was FlatbedCity for me. (I tried the Porsche repair liquid, which was pointless as the hole was much larger). I think I will carry some of the slime with rubber contents in the future versus a pure liquid.
But long-story-short, it was on the stock MPSCs, and not a fun day at all.
Well, my track day on Saturday must have REALLY worn those Pirelli's because the dealership said both rears were showing serious cord, and that's why the right rear suddenly failed. Sounds like your cup tires died the same kind of death.
Anyway, I'm switching to 4 new Michelin Super Sports.

Mr. B

Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Well, my track day on Saturday must have REALLY worn those Pirelli's because the dealership said both rears were showing serious cord, and that's why the right rear suddenly failed. Sounds like your cup tires died the same kind of death.

Mr. B
Sad part on mine was...... just had new MPSCs put on and aligned the day prior. I made it all of 66.6 miles and that was it. (Yes 66.6 from start of drive on the trip meeter to point of flat...few feet onto flatbed....and rolled into Hennessy Porsche garage). Must have been one monster of a nail or something.

To play out the comical part of 66.6, I suspect I could have poured pure rubber in the valve-stem and it would have still stayed flat, or exploded on 66.7. :-)

Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
ah geez the thought of a flat tire on these cars freaks me out.....

Bob 66.6 miles....hmm whats up with that.

agree Mr B a great time to get super sports....

Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing

THX,
Mr. B

Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
QueenCity911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing

I am 400 miles into my Super Sports. Love em', go get em'

Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by QueenCity911
I am 400 miles into my Super Sports. Love em', go get em'
I'd LOVE to have the SS's on but no 325 rear for mine yet.......

Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
Not a bad idea to keep a plug kit in car.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
True

Originally Posted by Wayne K
Not a bad idea to keep a plug kit in car.

True, but it wouldn't have been of any help with tires worn down to cords.
Mr. B

Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future

Mr. B
Lesson learned, then. You should check your tires, oil, etc after every session, but most people don't. However, you must check those things once per (track) day.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jack667
Lesson learned, then. You should check your tires, oil, etc after every session, but most people don't. However, you must check those things once per (track) day.
Well, you're right, but I never had Pirelli's before this and didn't realize how short-lived they are.
Anyway, my dealership says the Michelin SS tires are NOT
Porsche-approved, but that doesn't seem to bother any of you who have them. Is that correct??
TIA,
Mr. B

Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 AM
On Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the rough
The Michelin SS will be fine buddy!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by On Pole
The Michelin SS will be fine buddy!

THX !!
Mr. B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flat !!!