Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Question regarding purchasing a GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
I've been meaning to post this for some time now. And since I see there is discussion on buying a car I thought it would be appropriate to share. In April I put a deposit down on a used 2011 GT3 RS woth 3500miles at eurocar in costa mesa California; I live in Florida. I was assured that the car was totally clean never been hit as evidenced by the carfax. I had the local Porsche dealer inspect the car and not only was it in an accident but nearly every panel was damaged and replaced. The owner of the Eurocar called me and explained that he received the car from the local Ferrari dealer who got it on trade and represented to him that it was clean. He seemed sincere and I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one. But I'm shocked he never had it check out. Clearly the previous owner fixed the car on his own which would explain why it did not show up on carfax Bottom line is make sure to get your car checked before hand; its worth the $300.00. Also I'm not sure if its the same car but Eurocar has what appears to be the same damaged car still for sale; but I could be wrong. Good luck to all.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Cbad308 has a spectacular aura aboutCbad308 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for sharing that bit of wisdom Big Al.

~A

Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
BigAl Thanks crazy. Well worth the PPI for sure

Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold
Big Al - great info. I stopped in there a few months ago and they had a white and blue RS. was it one of those? Glad i didn't end up buying!

Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Not4off is infamous around these parts
50,000 miles on my 2009 C2S with PCCBs. 2-3 track days a month. Rotors still look great. Am very happy I spec'd the car with them. The racing buckets (GT2 seats) are incredibly comfortable, if a bit more difficult ingress/egress. A GT3 sounds like a perfect daily driver especially without ipod connectivity.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:45 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
How many people DD their GT3's? I just bought a Turbo, but always wondered if the GT3's could be driven this way. The salesperson discouraged me from purchasing one. I also have never driven on myself.
Salesmen are stupid...I DD mine and love it.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Drove a 2008 GT-3 yesterday, liked it a lot and will drive a 2010 on Wed. Started looking around and found a few new '11s and plenty of used 10s/some 11s. I'd pull the trigger on that blue one, except it's too many miles for me. Also, I want to sell my DB-9 and not end up with 2 toys like when I had my 996TT and bought the DB-9. If you guys know of anyone interested in a really nice Aston, I've got it listed in the F/S section. Also, if you're at the dealer and see something real nice new or used, drop me a line. Thanks and looking forward to entering the fray again...

Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dayABR11
So the white one is still out there kinda fishy like. The blue one at Porsche of Conshohoken is still for sale and at a decent price - I negotiated down to 104k and when I told the sales man I ended up pulling the trigger on a GTR, he turned around and offered 100k flat. Not sure if that's a deal someone wants, but just FYI.
I'm talking to a salesman about the blue one and might even take the 2+ hour ride to see it if the price is really right (under your 100). I don't mind paying more for one in better condition, but if the car is cosmetically good or great and mechanically OK, then it doesn't scare me off. I put much less miles and in 2-3 years it will probably be closer to normal. I saw a similar customer car yesterday at my local dealer and the color is great. Also looking at black or gray. Enjoy your GTR!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by DAVE W
Salesmen are stupid...I DD mine and love it.

+1

Drove mine to work today. They are fine for a DD, but I will admit I don't DD mine. I need it once in a while to keep my sanity and to remind myself why I am doing what I am doing, but I would not hesitate to drive it more if that was how I wanted to roll. I take mine like fine wine......

Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ScooterP
+1

Drove mine to work today. They are fine for a DD, but I will admit I don't DD mine. I need it once in a while to keep my sanity and to remind myself why I am doing what I am doing, but I would not hesitate to drive it more if that was how I wanted to roll. I take mine like fine wine......
How would you compare a TT to a GT3? I have never driven a Gt3, but own the TTS. I'm interested in understanding the difference....is it jaw dropping? or is it more like, "this does drive a bit better".

Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
How would you compare a TT to a GT3? I have never driven a Gt3, but own the TTS. I'm interested in understanding the difference....is it jaw dropping? or is it more like, "this does drive a bit better".
I have driven both and I would say that the TT has more eye popping speed, but otherwise it is sedate when driving in a more normal mode. The GT3 does not have the eye popping speed, but what it has (and it is plenty due to lower weight) is all there immediately and never let's you forget it even while "trying" to drive it in a more normal fashion (not sure why I have not received a ticket yet). The sound and the feel is a lot more intoxicating. I set out to buy a TT and test drove a GT3 just to make sure and I never looked back. However, both are great cars - it's just a matter of taste. I like it - others don't. Either way, you have a great car!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
I have driven both and I would say that the TT has more eye popping speed, but otherwise it is sedate when driving in a more normal mode. The GT3 does not have the eye popping speed, but what it has (and it is plenty due to lower weight) is all there immediately and never let's you forget it even while "trying" to drive it in a more normal fashion (not sure why I have not received a ticket yet). The sound and the feel is a lot more intoxicating. I set out to buy a TT and test drove a GT3 just to make sure and I never looked back. However, both are great cars - it's just a matter of taste. I like it - others don't. Either way, you have a great car!
Thanks Scooter for the helpful post. I love my car so far. It is the best car that I have ever owned, and I have owned some nice cars. I am intrigued with the idea of the GT3, and not having driven one before it definitely makes me wonder how much better it is as a DD and in general as an overall driving experience.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
dayABR11 is infamous around these parts
Some people where trying to PM me about the salesman. My post count is too low to PM - the salesman was Bill Rawlings (sp?) at the dealership. 100k was like a last ditch snap offer cause I think he was under a lot of pressure from his sales manager. Probably won't offer that again, but with hard bargaining could probably get it for 102-103. Good luck if you buy that one.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
I recently cross shopped the two and ended up buying the GT3 as well. I agree with this assessment completely. The Turbo is a fantastic, comfortable daily driver that felt totally at ease on streets and in traffic. Until you floor it on an onramp and it tears your face off.

The GT3 in contrast felt like it could be daily driven, but it merely tolerates it. It's not uncomfortable, but I always feel that it's a bit upset with me when I use it to tool around in traffic. Like it's saying, i'm ok with this for now, but I hope you remember what I am here for. But drive it aggressively and everything makes so much sense - the things that were a bit balky are now completely fluid, and all the weird noises are replaced by this totally intoxicating sound...

Even though I drive a GT3 now, I am convinced I would be totally happy with a Turbo. Either way, I'm just happy I'm driving a car that's even my holy grail since I was 8 - regardless of the variant

Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by evil panda
I recently cross shopped the two and ended up buying the GT3 as well. I agree with this assessment completely. The Turbo is a fantastic, comfortable daily driver that felt totally at ease on streets and in traffic. Until you floor it on an onramp and it tears your face off.

The GT3 in contrast felt like it could be daily driven, but it merely tolerates it. It's not uncomfortable, but I always feel that it's a bit upset with me when I use it to tool around in traffic. Like it's saying, i'm ok with this for now, but I hope you remember what I am here for. But drive it aggressively and everything makes so much sense - the things that were a bit balky are now completely fluid, and all the weird noises are replaced by this totally intoxicating sound...

Even though I drive a GT3 now, I am convinced I would be totally happy with a Turbo. Either way, I'm just happy I'm driving a car that's even my holy grail since I was 8 - regardless of the variant
+1 and well said. I am about to leave work and experience that very thing. Wish me luck on not getting a ticket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question regarding purchasing a GT3