GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

track life of MPS cups?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
track life of MPS cups?

hi, i normally use hoosiers r6 on the track. i get about 10 heat cycles out of em before they are pretty slippy. i recently put pilot sport cups on and was wondering the track life i should expect out of them. thanks in advance.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Me 2

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
hi, i normally use hoosiers r6 on the track. i get about 10 heat cycles out of em before they are pretty slippy. i recently put pilot sport cups on and was wondering the track life i should expect out of them. thanks in advance.

I'm curious to know as well.
Mr. B

Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 AM
brim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura about
probably about the same or possibly a little less before they lose significant grip. Assuming you drive the GT2 pretty hard, I'll give you 5-6 track days tops, but with less grip than the R6 obviously.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Treadwear on my MPSC's after one track day at AAA Roval; 4 x 25min sessions:

FR: 1/32nd both channels L/R
RR: 1/32nd outer channel; 2/32nd inner channel both L/R

Figuring 2-4 days more on the rears depending on track before they cord. Can't speak to heat cycles yet.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
QuickTurns is infamous around these parts
I've had 7 trackdays now with the Cups on my .2 GT3. They started to loose traction on the afternoon of my 6th day. 2500 miles on the tires, mostly track. Tread still about 5mm, for both F/R. Will drive them until the cord. Have standard alignment all around. The rear just comes around more in tight turns and they take a while to warm up now. I'm thinking of replacing them with RE-11's since I really don't want to spend $2500 (incl. mounting & balancing) every handful of trackdays. Would love to get the PSS but it's a very heavy tire (5lbs more in F/3lbs more in R for each tire compared to MPSC's. RE-11's are 3lbs/2lbs more than MPSC's.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
997gt3LA is infamous around these parts
I've had about 6 track days on them about 30-45 min of track time each time and they are starting to slip and inside of the rears are really starting to bald.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Quickturns:

I have a set of RE-11's on my street wheels. They are great street tires but I think someone who has tracked MPSC's will be disappointed with them on track. The steering response is dulled and the traction is not quite there.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your responses. I really love Hoosier r6 and there cheaper then cups. T bad police don't like em that much lol. I'm gonna be doing 1 track day (very hot big willow)on the cups so well see how they hold.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Chris, I hear you. There's just no "free" lunch. Every other day I change my mind on the tires :-). Reading your comment makes me rethink the "street tire" vs "R-Compound". The worst part is not even the money for the Cups themselves but the hassle of taking the car to a shop, which might (or might not) deal with the stupid CLs the right way (even dealers can't get it right sometimes, I hear) and then they charge you $40-50 around her for mounting and balancing. Sorry for the rant. Might just have to bite the bullet and get the Cups again.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Supers

Originally Posted by QuickTurns
Chris, I hear you. There's just no "free" lunch. Every other day I change my mind on the tires :-). Reading your comment makes me rethink the "street tire" vs "R-Compound". The worst part is not even the money for the Cups themselves but the hassle of taking the car to a shop, which might (or might not) deal with the stupid CLs the right way (even dealers can't get it right sometimes, I hear) and then they charge you $40-50 around her for mounting and balancing. Sorry for the rant. Might just have to bite the bullet and get the Cups again.
More than a few guys here have the new Michelin Pilot SUPER Sports and they are saying very good things about them.
I just got a set, but haven't tracked them yet.
Mr. B

Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Not sure about your situation but I've always been an advocate of the street + track wheels setup. You get the best of both worlds and when you change them, you know it's being done right I found the swap procedure is nowhere near as big a pain as many have indicated. One set of wheels can be resold when you move on so in the end it's not horribly expensive. You can drive your heart out on the street without worrying about how many miles you have left.

If I had to pick one tire only, it would be the MPSC's. To me, the car really feels optimized for them in stock form.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Mr. B, let me know once you've tracked the PSS's on how you liked them. I'm especially curious about the weight difference to the Cups. I'm probably not good enough to notice the difference of the additional unsprung weight but would like to find out. I almost ordered the PSS's from tirerack the other day and then thought of the RE-11's etc. etc. :-) Since we don't have a lot of rain, probably none, during the main track season, no reason really to get good rain tires either.
Anyone else on this board that has tracked the Super Sports? Tx.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Agree on the Cups being the "optimized" tire. About on my third T-day -while still learning the car (and to drive :-), I drove T-7 (about a 180 degree right-hander at Infineon fairly aggressively (for me) and the Cups would not give... Was probably the best feeling I'd had in a long time driving a car at the limit. Now I wish, Michelin would lower the price a little (The same tire for 18" wheels, 295/240 for a 996, is $500 less. Go figure... Michelin probably wants us all to buy the new PSS...

Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
For me the MPSC worked well until the cords, about a second off brand new. They do get hard though and being that they are already cold sensitive (they don't play well cold), when they get hard you have to make sure you warm them up with some good hard cornering and they will last you.

I'd say 6-8 day depending on the track surface type and driving style. I've only done Road Atlanta and Barber on MPSC and they are both easy on the tires and very smooth.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by QuickTurns
Mr. B, let me know once you've tracked the PSS's on how you liked them. I'm especially curious about the weight difference to the Cups. I'm probably not good enough to notice the difference of the additional unsprung weight but would like to find out. I almost ordered the PSS's from tirerack the other day and then thought of the RE-11's etc. etc. :-) Since we don't have a lot of rain, probably none, during the main track season, no reason really to get good rain tires either.
Anyone else on this board that has tracked the Super Sports? Tx.

Will do. I'm eager to try them out at the track.
Overall, I probably don't do more than 10 track days a year so, on paper, the PSS's look ideal.

I have a 1999 Civic Si that I race in SCCA and I use R compound tires on that car.
Mr. B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: track life of MPS cups?