Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Tpms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Tpms

I'm beginning to hate my tire monitor system.
The yellow tire symbol stays lit even tho the tire pressures are correct.
Mr. B

Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Pb8
Pb8 is infamous around these parts
I'm with you. A local independant shop say they can have the sensor bypassed for $50. Any other solutions out there?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
+2. One of mine is off by 4 lbs. I regularly check with a gauge.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Not sure

Originally Posted by chardonet
+2. One of mine is off by 4 lbs. I regularly check with a gauge.

I'm not sure I want to disable it, since it did alert me to a rapidly flattening tire, but I am tired of seeing that yellow tire symbol on my dash.

Here's what I think the problem is: My GT3 is a 2007. Those tire monitors have mini-batteries in them and they eventually wear out. The batteries can't be replaced, so you have to replace the whole unit inside the tire.
My dealership has re-set the TPMS several times, but I believe the solution is a replacement of the unit inside the tire.

Anyway, that's my theory.
Mr.B

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
sensor life is about 5yrs it seems. mine ('06S) are still going but sometimes it takes awhile to register after startup, so i have a feeling the end is near.

i have had incorrect errors before - esp the "4lbs low" error - even when all tires were properly filled. one method that works for me is to overfill the tires by a few pounds each while the car is on. then drive for a bit/reset TPMS until it re-registers. turn off and bring psi down to normal. (note: merely overfilling always clears my error initially but sometimes, after shutting off car the first time afterward, i get the same pesky error. so now i do the reset in addition to overfill as an extra measure.)

good luck

Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I'm beginning to hate my tire monitor system.
The yellow tire symbol stays lit even tho the tire pressures are correct.
Mr. B
Had something similar when my right rear went flat, and threw the yellow warning, and then the red you are SOL alert. After getting the car back the system still was "confused". Pressures were reading fine...

Long story short, a simple reset to base was needed to resync the TPMS. (This was using the TPMS options from inside the car).

Granted mine had a failure with extreme differences in pressure down to zero. But, give it a try......

Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM
997gt3LA is infamous around these parts
My car has been that way for the last 4 track events and I'm tired of it! I set my tire pressure at 31 all around so when they get hot I'm around 36 max on mcups. I haven't even tried to find a solution yet, I'm thinking driver side rear is just not working or it a missread.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
sensor life is about 5yrs it seems. mine ('06S) are still going but sometimes it takes awhile to register after startup, so i have a feeling the end is near.

i have had incorrect errors before - esp the "4lbs low" error - even when all tires were properly filled. one method that works for me is to overfill the tires by a few pounds each while the car is on. then drive for a bit/reset TPMS until it re-registers. turn off and bring psi down to normal. (note: merely overfilling always clears my error initially but sometimes, after shutting off car the first time afterward, i get the same pesky error. so now i do the reset in addition to overfill as an extra measure.)

good luck

How do you do the re-set??
Mr. B

Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
Go in the DME and disable it, problem solved

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
So, the latest chapter in this TPMS saga is that my dealership replaced the tire monitors in the two rear rims, and everything is working well. They replaced them for free under my CPO warranty.
Mr. B

Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 AM
The Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to behold
I would say for street tires, keep the sensors, but dont go by the actual pressure numbers. Just use it for a safety precaution, like mentioned above if a tire goes flat rapidly.

I tried to use this premise for track use. Got them installed on forgelines, so I wouldnt have to look at error message, and if a tire lost pressure fast, it would warn me before I dove into a turn at high speeds. Bit me in the butt. Rubber valve stem leaked. Just get metal valve stems for track wheels.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by The Greek
I would say for street tires, keep the sensors, but dont go by the actual pressure numbers. Just use it for a safety precaution, like mentioned above if a tire goes flat rapidly.
I tried to use this premise for track use. Got them installed on forgelines, so I wouldnt have to look at error message, and if a tire lost pressure fast, it would warn me before I dove into a turn at high speeds. Bit me in the butt. Rubber valve stem leaked. Just get metal valve stems for track wheels.

Yeah, even the Porsche people at the dealership say that the psi reading is not accurate, but the system is very helpful in alerting you to a rapidly deflating tire.
Mr. B

Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
So, the latest chapter in this TPMS saga is that my dealership replaced the tire monitors in the two rear rims, and everything is working well. They replaced them for free under my CPO warranty.
Mr. B

Does this TPMS saga ever end??

So, the dealership replaced the monitors in the two rears, and everything was fine--for a while. The TPMS read-outs are incorrect but, apparently, Porsche knows that.

I set the pressures using a very accurate gauge and, guess what, the yellow tire indicator has popped back on!!

Mr. B

Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Does this TPMS saga ever end??

So, the dealership replaced the monitors in the two rears, and everything was fine--for a while. The TPMS read-outs are incorrect but, apparently, Porsche knows that.

I set the pressures using a very accurate gauge and, guess what, the yellow tire indicator has popped back on!!

Mr. B
try over-filling the tires by a few lbs with the car on. then after warning clears, simply lower back to normal psi.

i lower my psi for track events all the time. after filling back up to normal psi afterwards, sometimes simply resetting/re-learning isnt enough to clear the warning...but the over-filling method works every time.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
try over-filling the tires by a few lbs with the car on. then after warning clears, simply lower back to normal psi.

i lower my psi for track events all the time. after filling back up to normal psi afterwards, sometimes simply resetting/re-learning isnt enough to clear the warning...but the over-filling method works every time.
I'll try that.
Thanks,
Mr. B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tpms